Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 01:22 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
You know why these guys do it? It's because in American society being married is considered part of the process of being "successful."

In other words, getting married in addition to establishing a good career is part of the rites of passage that has been laid out in American culture.

Another serious issue that I have observed is that Western men have a hard time living alone. I have met numerous grown men who can't seem to function without a woman living with them.
I don't understand your last thought about Western men...are you saying that people of other cultures are socialized to live alone...if so what cultures are you talking about?

This statement really doesn't match what I've heard about other cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 01:24 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,992 times
Quote:
I did the research and I came to the conclusion that women don't "fall in love" with any man. Women "fall in love" with men who are more powerful and successful then they are all while ignoring all the other men who like them because they have less status.

So with that said, women do control who they fall in love with; they just make sure they fall in love with all the high status guys.

In this day and age, women can come to the table not only not knowing how to do simple things (i.e.cook, clean, healing the sick) but they come to the table with major debt (credit cards, student loans) kids from prior relationships and health problems (obesity).

So tell me? How is this type of woman suppose to enhance my quality of life?

Good for you and I'm happy for you two. However, I would like to see you two 10 years from now when the novelty of being a new couple wears off.

Honestly if I was a single man I wouldn't be attracted to someone who had the baggage of kids. Why aren't you seeking women out who don't have this baggage.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This raises an interesting question. Women are getting more education than before, that also tends to postpone marriage age. And women these days are starting careers, another reason why marriage happens later. It used to be that women felt they had to be engaged to be married or at least have a serious prospect before they graduated from college, the so-called M-R-S degree. Because they didn't have career prospects back then. Life for women, career options, etc. have changed so radically that women aren't as concerned with getting married during or right out of college as they used to be.
I would argue that the more education and money a woman receives, the more selective and unrealistic she becomes when choosing a consort, so these type of women paint themselves into the corner due to their inability to "settle".

Old 06-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
Honestly if I was a single man I wouldn't be attracted to someone who had the baggage of kids. Why aren't you seeking women out who don't have this baggage.

In America, it's kind of hard to find women over 25 who have no kids and no major debt.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:35 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
I did the research and I came to the conclusion that women don't "fall in love" with any man. Women "fall in love" with men who are more powerful and successful then they are all while ignoring all the other men who like them because they have less status.

So with that said, women do control who they fall in love with; they just make sure they fall in love with all the high status guys.
Haha - what research would that be? That's just funny.

Quote:
In this day and age, women can come to the table not only not knowing how to do simple things (i.e.cook, clean, healing the sick) but they come to the table with major debt (credit cards, student loans) kids from prior relationships and health problems (obesity).

So tell me? How is this type of woman suppose to enhance my quality of life?
Why on earth would you pick someone like that to marry? Why on earth would you get involved with someone you didn't like? That doesn't make any sense. The RIGHT person enhances your life. Any other person can make your life a living hell. Why would you marry someone who didn't enhance your life? That's just dumb.

Quote:
Good for you and I'm happy for you two. However, I would like to see you two 10 years from now when the novelty of being a new couple wears off.
Exactly how long does it take for the novelty of being a "new" couple wear off? We've already been together for 10 years - I'm not sure why anyone would think of that as being "new." So - 10 years after we started dating - and life just keeps getting better and better. We are more in love with each other now than we were 10 years ago. I'll be happy to report to you in another 10 years - you know, when things are so "new."

Old 06-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Just look through this forum and you'll see post after post from guys in their 30's and older whining about how ALL the good women are taken. How there is nobody decent left to date. How all the women over 30 are divorced or single moms or gold diggers or narcissistic and so on and so on.
But there is some degree of truth to the matter. Good women get snatched up real quick and are a prized commodity in this country. However, if prostitution was legalized and America wasn't such a sexually repressed society, then guys wouldn't complain that much because they would not have to put up with the bad women.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:44 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
But there is some degree of truth to the matter. Good women get snatched up real quick and are a prized commodity in this country.
I can't disagree with that!

Perhaps the good men get snatched up real quick, too!

Old 06-02-2012, 01:51 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I can't disagree with that!

Perhaps the good men get snatched up real quick, too!
I'm not a good man then lol.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
(4). Believe it or not, single men who are in the dating pool past 40 are viewed as "weird or creepy" vs. DIVORCED men in the dating pool at the same age. A man who marries at 25 or 28, and attempts to make a go of marriage, grows to have a successful career, maybe even has his own kids from that marriage - but then becomes divorced or widowed at 39 or 44 - will probably have a better shot at getting a date, than a single man in the same boat.
This is absolutely ridiculous. Viewed as creepy for NOT ever getting married? What about women who never get married? Are they creepy too?

Wow, is that how bad you want us to marry you? You give us derogatory names and vilify us simply because we don't want to move in with you and pay your bills for life. Unbelievable.

Quote:
Single woman will look at divorced guys and think, "well at least another woman loved him enough to marry him.." - vs. a single man who women look at and think "ok why did this guy never get married and whats his story?
Ditto on that weird old guy at the corner of a club...You dont want to be *THAT* guy...
Again, this is absolutely ridiculous! Like I NEED your (or any other woman's) approval to be worth something. And not only that, but as men get older our values INCREASES over time.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
EXACTLY

Another thing to consider: do you know that auto insurance companies offer you lower rates if you are married? My husbands auto ins dropped by at least 15% when he updated his policy to reflect his married status...and once we out our cars on 1 policy, we saved even more.
OOOOOOOOH! Cheaper insurance because you're married. WOW! Sign me up for marriage!!!!

Hay legal "diva", if I wanted cheaper insurance I would just buy a CHEAPER car like a Toyota vs a BMW.

Quote:
Listen, bicoastal and Dissenterdude: you are free to think whatever you want..but the studies already out there prove my points and as elaborated by Braunwyn, my point is that married men who are married to the RIGHT woman have nothing but the sky to shoot for. A great partner will make goal achievement possible, even easier.

Quote:
Also, to add another layer of thought to the "married men are typically healthier and live longer" meme, if you slip and fall in the bathtub and sustain a concussion, the chances of survival are much greater if your wife can just open the bathroom door and call 911. It's kinda hard to live alone and not have that emotional security every day.
But BY FAR most of the murders are due to romantic relationships gone sour. Also, men die early because they work themselves to the bone in stressful jobs to take care of their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships