Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 PM

38 posts, read 90,940 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is a classmate of mine. We have become pretty good friends, we study together - many times one on one, text eachother often, have alot of common interests, etc. We also share some friends and hang out in groups alot. We are both single and talk to each other about girls/guys and relationship type stuff. Initially I was not very interested in her but recently as I've gotten to know her I am interested in possibly being in a relationship with her. The problem is I don't want to ruin the friendship or make her awkward around me in the future. We are both pretty shy individuals and I really cannot sense if she is into me as more then a friend or not. Should I just ignore these feelings or should I say/do something? If I act on the feelings would it be better to talk to her or just make a move on her one day when we are alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Not an easy or pleasant position to be in.

Thank you Lord that men don't do the friendzone thing as much as women do. *genuflects*

I have never became friends first with someone I was attracted to and definitely never remained friends with someone who rejected me so I don't know what advice to give you. Facing the possibility of having to sacrifice either the friendship or a romance with her, which one are you more willing to sacrifice? It seems like you've already decided that the friendship is more valuable.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 PM

well if I ask her if she would like to be more then friends and she rejects me I will have no problem remaining friends with her and for me it wouldn't be awkward except for maybe the first time we hang out after...

Old 06-21-2012, 10:30 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgerrabit View Post
I have a friend who is a classmate of mine. We have become pretty good friends, we study together - many times one on one, text eachother often, have alot of common interests, etc. We also share some friends and hang out in groups alot.
Ask one of your mutual friends if they've heard her say anything about you. Stay friends with her, keep seeing her. Bide your time awhile until you get some info from friends, or signals from her. Maybe casually ask her out to lunch one day. When the check comes, tell her you're buying. That should be a signal to her. See what happens, play it by ear.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
life's too short for what ifs bro. just do it. you'll regret not making a move more than putting urself out there. if she's not interested you'll be able to move on and onto the next one

Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 PM

78 posts, read 120,025 times
Take her to a concert or any other social function and kiss her at the end of the night/date. If it doesn't work she will still be friends with you and you can laugh it off. If you don't make a move soon you will be in the friendzone category and will forever remain there. Better to move fast in this situation IMO.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyes View Post
Take her to a concert or any other social function and kiss her at the end of the night/date. If it doesn't work she will still be friends with you and you can laugh it off. If you don't make a move soon you will be in the friendzone category and will forever remain there. Better to move fast in this situation IMO.
well today I asked her if she wanted to study together, then asked if she wanted to get dinner before hand. so we went to dinner together and then she came back to my apartment to study. I was too scared to kiss her because I didn't want to be awkward if she moved away or rejected me.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ask one of your mutual friends if they've heard her say anything about you. Stay friends with her, keep seeing her. Bide your time awhile until you get some info from friends, or signals from her. Maybe casually ask her out to lunch one day. When the check comes, tell her you're buying. That should be a signal to her. See what happens, play it by ear.
i'd rather not ask mutual friends, if she doesnt want to be with me then it may make it more awkward for me and her if the mutual friends know that she rejected me

Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
stop spending money on her lol if you're not at least getting to first base she's gona get used to you treating her to food and what not. do NOT take her to any concerts.
she's already at your place GO FOR THE GOLD YOUNG PADAWAN

Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
stop spending money on her lol if you're not at least getting to first base she's gona get used to you treating her to food and what not. do NOT take her to any concerts.
she's already at your place GO FOR THE GOLD YOUNG PADAWAN
i'm not spending money on her, we split the bill because it was not a 'date'....it was the first time we went to dinner together, we've been to lunch before were we split the bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships