Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 03:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're leaving out the academic crowd, the run-of-the-mill gov't employees, the museum curators, etc. etc. Get back to us after you've circulated in some new arenas.

You and Dissenter, both. Knock off the whining, and get moving, joining groups, and mingling.
What you mad at me for?

I'm too busy running damage control with my roommate. Plus I ain't even passed 30 days here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
What you mad at me for?

I'm too busy running damage control with my roommate. Plus I ain't even passed 30 days here.
Right. It was the little quip about being dry after just 26 days in town. You haven't even begun to live, yet. Let us know when you do.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:13 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
26 days in my residence and my sasuage is still as dry as ever.
Well you did move to this swamp so I'm not surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I think it would probably be good for you, Hurri. It wont guarantee dates galore, but maybe you can get a fresh start in your head.
That's the idea I think. Just sort of hit 'reset' on my life. Start a new chapter instead of writing more in the same chapter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't think I would go through the whole hassle ( and expense ) of moving just to meet new friends. It doesn't going to work. If you didn't made a good friends in one place, I doubt you will make them in another location.
You should evaluate the situation and find out why your have crappy friends that don't care, and where is the problem.
If you are thinking about moving to another city after you finish college, then apply for a job first and make sure you will get one when you move there. With a new job you will make a whole different bunch of friends.
I've been trying to evaluate it and I don't see where the problem is. I'm not a gross person, I'm not an offensive person, I realize I have some bias here but I like to think I'm a generally well-adjusted and amicable person. I don't expect every person to think I'm the bee's knees but you'd think more than a handful would think "hey, he seems like the kind of person I'd like to have beers with."
Quote:
Sounds awful. Get out and about. Attend lectures at some of these organizations. Shake it up, try new stuff.

OP: whatever you do, don't move to Seattle!
Funny, Seattle's one of the places I've considered. I'm hesitant about it, I've heard Seattleites can be just as cold as Washingtonians. I also know that it's cloudy and damp from like October to March. But I also know the weather's fantastic between April and September, and that Seattle area is very lush and green and calm. I think I derive a lot of my mood from my surroundings, which is why I always feel so much more at ease when I'm at the beach or by a lake or anything else serene. That's one of the things I love about the DC area, there's a lot of greenery. Some of my most relaxing moments are going on evening drives up through Potomac or out to the Chesapeake, something I'd do much more often if I had my own car or motorcycle...

Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Funny, Seattle's one of the places I've considered. I'm hesitant about it, I've heard Seattleites can be just as cold as Washingtonians. I also know that it's cloudy and damp from like October to March. But I also know the weather's fantastic between April and September, and that Seattle area is very lush and green and calm. I think I derive a lot of my mood from my surroundings, which is why I always feel so much more at ease when I'm at the beach or by a lake or anything else serene. That's one of the things I love about the DC area, there's a lot of greenery. Some of my most relaxing moments are going on evening drives up through Potomac or out to the Chesapeake, something I'd do much more often if I had my own car or motorcycle...
Correction: it can be cloudy and rainy from October to June/July, as it has been this year, and I think, last year. Lush and green, definitely--that rain is good for something, at least. If you manage to have a social life there, let us know. That would be fairly record-breaking.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:37 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I hear mixed things about Seattle, some say it's great, has a cool vibe, but IDK, all that rain..... can't be good for the psyche.

I hear that Oregon is the land of single mothers, has a lot of the same weather... IDK, maybe just avoid the PNW in general....

Come out to So Cal.........

Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Come out to So Cal.........
But everyone says So Cal is extremely superficial, it's all about looks and money and the right car, etc. One guy posted on here that by their late 20's, everyone's married and making babies.

OP, try Northern Cal. The Bay Area. Friendly people, laid back atmosphere (except for the traffic, but there's good public transit), lots of natural beauty.

Or check out Seattle. It's definitely green, and there are definitely lakes and forests. The grey weather makes the people a bit grey, though.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:52 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,198 times
Wow, my sister loves DC. She is a DC girl and talks about it often. She may be on of the "ladder climbers" you talk about though lol, since she is interning at prominent law firm out there and is already guaranteed a six figure job upon graduating law school. But for her, DC is great. I will add that she is not dating anybody.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:11 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
But everyone says So Cal is extremely superficial, it's all about looks and money and the right car, etc. One guy posted on here that by their late 20's, everyone's married and making babies.

OP, try Northern Cal. The Bay Area. Friendly people, laid back atmosphere (except for the traffic, but there's good public transit), lots of natural beauty.

Or check out Seattle. It's definitely green, and there are definitely lakes and forests. The grey weather makes the people a bit grey, though.
LOL, I was actually kidding about So Cal, I guess I should have made that clearer, I've never been up to northern California, but I hear it had be pretty nice, probably a bit less superficial, I'd get out of here in second, I've got some personal reasons why, but yeah, Sacramento would be good, less expensive than SF and less loony, politically speaking, not sure where Hurricane lies on that but the Bay area politics are as whacked out liberal as they get... but that's another thread....

Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Wow, my sister loves DC. She is a DC girl and talks about it often. She may be on of the "ladder climbers" you talk about though lol, since she is interning at prominent law firm out there and is already guaranteed a six figure job upon graduating law school. But for her, DC is great. I will add that she is not dating anybody.
The restaurants are great and as I said the scenery is fantastic. I would actually like to raise a family here. But it's very expensive and I think I'd benefit from exploring the US as a bit. Y'know, eventually meet the woman who I'd like to raise a family with (and then convince her to move to the DC/Maryland).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, I was actually kidding about So Cal, I guess I should have made that clearer, I've never been up to northern California, but I hear it had be pretty nice, probably a bit less superficial, I'd get out of here in second, I've got some personal reasons why, but yeah, Sacramento would be good, less expensive than SF and less loony, politically speaking, not sure where Hurricane lies on that but the Bay area politics are as whacked out liberal as they get... but that's another thread....
I went to school in the Bay Area for three months, it was pretty chill. I really like visiting SF although I wouldn't live there due to the politics. I'm middle-of-the-road with some conservative leanings on certain things and liberal on others, but at least NorCal liberals are a bit more granola. Here in Maryland it's all Lexus Liberals calling the shots.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
In all fairness though, DC is 'unique'. I live here too and it is a strange mix of power-hungry ladder-climbers, 'hotties' and 'not-so-hotties' who want the alphas mentioned previously, and the trashy uneducated crowd who are busy thrusting/riding, cranking out babies, and/or shooting each other to pieces. Normal, average, 'decent' guys simply do not blend well in this toxic environment and thus do not do well with women.
Sounds just like me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships