Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:02 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,028,983 times

Advertisements

Find a different 'one'. I don't believe there is just one 'one' for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 08:25 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,035,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
How would you react to this situation?
Break up.

To some of us, a person who wants kids is an instant turnoff. It hurts - all those dizzy, euphoric feelings that put you on cloud 9 can still linger - but you can look to the future and know that you'd be very, very unhappy with that person if they insisted on bringing kids into the picture. In fact, I'd feel betrayed. As in "what? A life that we two make together isn't good enough for you?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Break up because it will be a cold day in hell before I have a kid.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times
You must be compatible about having children, period. It is a waste of time to think of someone who views the topic different as "The One."

Old 08-26-2012, 08:37 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
You start by only picking from the group of people who don't want/have kids (and you don't ever bend on this).

Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 AM

382 posts, read 825,488 times
Quote:
Basically let's say you have decided to be childfree. You get to meet a significant other who you know in your heart is someone you feel is the "one." However this SO wants kids or is not willing to take parenthood completely off the table and basically you can't change their mind. What do you do? You obviously feel that you aren't cut out to be a parent but you love this person so much the thought of losing them may be more than you can bear?

Please no "the one would share the same views on this topic" answers.
I would agree to have one child for my spouse. My parents waited 10 years to have me b/c both of them thought they didn't want kids. My mom decided, after 10 years that she wanted a baby, so they had me, N only child. Honestly you can still have 1 child and live your life the way it was before. It's only after 2 or more that. Nothing says you have to have a conventional life with a child. My parents took me EVERYWHERE. Traveling, to hear live music, restaurants, etc. I never cried so it was not hard for them, and I was exposed to so many different things. We moved all over the country and I had a great childhood. I have two kids and the first went everywhere with us. After the 2nd one came only 22 mos later life changed a lot. The two together were a handful, lol.

I just find that couples with one child have more freedom, based on my own childhood and those of all the people I know with kids.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:31 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
If one partner wants kids and the other doesn't, well, it's a dealbreaker unless either party is willing to give in. I will say though that both parties should closely examine their views and actions. Like, if the guy REALLY doesn't want kids, then why the hell hasn't he gotten a vasectomy? That just seems like a no-brainer. Why does one party feel they NEED to have kids? Why does the other party feel they absolutely DON'T WANT to have kids? I mean, go with your gut, but sometimes people get stuck in strange ruts where they refuse to re-examine things they decided years before. I know of more than a few couples who, after deciding to remain child-free, suddenly got a burr up their butts in their late 30s/early 40s and had a kid together.

For myself, I'm agnostic on kids. I like them and would be a good mom, but I don't have this burning need to be a mom. It's not going to factor into who I choose to have relationships with all that much.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:34 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Basically let's say you have decided to be childfree. You get to meet a significant other who you know in your heart is someone you feel is the "one." However this SO wants kids or is not willing to take parenthood completely off the table and basically you can't change their mind. What do you do? You obviously feel that you aren't cut out to be a parent but you love this person so much the thought of losing them may be more than you can bear?

Please no "the one would share the same views on this topic" answers.

If they were truly "the one for you" then you both would be not wanting children so it seems to be that they are not the one for you and it is time to quit wasting time and move on. There really is no other logical answer than "they must share the same views". There are always exceptions however I have not met too many who decided well before marriage they did not want children who changed their mind after a few years but they are out there and it does happen.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:54 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
I agree with others here in that you may spare yourself and the other person heartache by just ending it now since it's one of the most important aspects in a person's life. But, and I don't mean to sound dismissive of your current worldview, but you are so young. While I believe people largely remain on a trajectory through out life, sometimes what we think we want changes. Our priorities change. When I was 25 I did not want children either, couldn't imagine it. Later on I started questioning it and then my brother died and bam, my world was turned upside down and I started yearning for family. Go figure. You could meet some woman that you adore so much that it would make perfect sense for you two to combine yourselves into one. Or whatever life brings. Point being, I don't know how sure we can be about anything when we're that young and perhaps you are 100% sure forever, but if not it and if you are in a healthy, productive, and supportive relationship you might want to pause before a final cut off.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:55 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Diss, is this a hypothetical situation, or have you met someone special? If it's hypothetical, it means you're worrying about something that may never happen. But to answer your question:

My brother didn't want kids. He and his wife agreed there would be no kids. Some years later, suddenly her hormones are changing, and they're pushing her to want kids. She really wants kids. My brother caves, even though he's not thrilled. But it all worked out ok. The kids are grown, and they're happy, productive people.

If this were to happen to you, you could take parenting classes. If you have parent issues, you could try therapy. Or that might not be necessary. You don't know how you're going to feel about it when you're 30 (or whenever) until you get there. But I would hope that anyone you fall for would understand your background, and would understand why you don't want kids, and would respect that. Not all women want kids. I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. I'd go out and see what life has to offer, and cross whatever bridges when you come to them.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-26-2012 at 10:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships