Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 05:29 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's a toss up for me, the Trinity of terror in terms of accents

Philly
Boston
NJ

The all send me searching for the hot poker to eyeballs......

Even if you can't see them you can still hear them. lol. Funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 05:38 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
"There's a small town in SW Ireland that has the sexiest accent imaginable!"...

*whispers* What's that dear? Yes dear I told them.. Yes dear, small town in SW Ireland just like you said dear.. That's right dear, where your from dear.... *sigh*

Old 09-01-2012, 08:34 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
"There's a small town in SW Ireland that has the sexiest accent imaginable!"...

*whispers* What's that dear? Yes dear I told them.. Yes dear, small town in SW Ireland just like you said dear.. That's right dear, where your from dear.... *sigh*
Are you drinking?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:06 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
How could I forget the Irish?! Gimme Amy Adams and throw a sweet brogue on her and holy cow... gimme a minute to compose myself

Old 09-02-2012, 04:28 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Are you drinking?
Nope, just daft!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 AM

331 posts, read 735,196 times
Foreign accents on a woman don't do much for me...I worked or studied with women from all over the world so one gets used to them after a while.

I've been in the US for 6 years and I still have my British accent - I never want to lose it! I've come across Italian and French guys in the US who now have American accents - I found that shocking because many women LOVE those accents and I would try to keep them if I had them.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:10 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
I never understood how some people change the way they talk just from moving to a new place. It's pretty funny actually. Have you heard Madonna talk lately? hahaha
some nationalitys are more prone to losing their accent than others , english people are renowned for holding on to their accents , i sometimes think its a sign of a fickle nature if someone develops a new accent quite quick

Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
some nationalitys are more prone to losing their accent than others , english people are renowned for holding on to their accents , i sometimes think its a sign of a fickle nature if someone develops a new accent quite quick
I am one of the fickle ones ! I spent three years in the US and ended up with a mild American accent then moved to the UK and now sound like a Brit. It is not a conscious decision, I think my ear just tunes up to the nearest common accent and latches on. It has always been like this wherever I have lived. My French accent has never been that strong to begin with but I seem to lose it pretty quickly ( usually about three to four months).

I always find it strange that people retain their native accents all their lives actually. I know some French people who still sound like Inspector Clouseau after four decades in the UK and that to me is really odd. How can you still sound the same when you hear a different sound day in , day out ? I suppose it must be a strange linguistic form of "survival" and adaptation to my surroundings. I certainly do not make an effort to sound the way I do. Though it amuses me when people assume I am British. I have been mistaken for South African and New Zealander by people who could detect something not quite "right" but assumed I was still an English native speaker.

To me it is just natural to absorb whatever sounds surround me. I can't help it and I see nothing wrong with it. I have no reason to be "proud" of my native accent considering I had nothing to do with it and it is hardly an achievement anyway.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:39 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
some people are determined to hold on to their accent , some are happy to go with the flow , some accents are also more strident than others , irish accent are softer than english accents so are easier to blend into another accent , beit in america , australia or the uk

Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
An exotic accent or exotic looks will always catch my attention and appreciation, but it takes a lot more to keep it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships