Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:41 AM

499 posts, read 756,526 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to start a fight here (and I mean that), but I had a few women message me on a dating site saying I was "racist" for "specifying" what I'm looking for (and they didn't fall in that category).

Dating isn't civil rights. It's what you're attracted to. It doesn't matter "why" you're attracted to what you like, what matters is that you like what you like. Why would you want someone to date you if they weren't fully attracted to you? That would waste your time!

How is this any different from

"If you're under 5'9, don't contact me"
"If you make less than 60K, don't contact me"
"If you have kids, don't contact me"
"If you're chronically fat, don't contact me"
"If you're balding, don't contact me"
"If you live at home, don't contact me"
"If you look like a Jersey Shore cast member, don't contact me"
"If you're missing teeth. don't contact me"

In all cases, you're singling out what you want and don't want. How is race/color/ethnicity any different? Women who fall outside of "your" category seem to get just as pissed as they claim men get. I would never call someone out on their preferences on a dating site. I'd just move onto the next one. So what gives? There are millions of fish in the ocean.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:43 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
Depends on the reason you may not consider a particular race. It could be for personal reasons of attraction, or racist and prejudiced reasons. There can be a fine line between them too, which may be the reason of accusations being made.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,929 times
If you don't find the general physical features of other ethnic groups appealing then the answer is 'no.'
From the way the OP reads the responses are merely knee-jerk reactions.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:52 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
No it's not racist unless you're a racist. There are certain cultures I don't care for personally and I'm sure there are many ladies who would not date guys from Texas.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:55 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
People are just sensitive about certain things. I'm not interested in dating certain types of men but I know better than to specify it in my profile. You'll just end up getting hate mail from people you don't want to hear from.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Depends on the reason you may not consider a particular race. It could be for personal reasons of attraction, or racist and prejudiced reasons. There can be a fine line between them too, which may be the reason of accusations being made.
But on a dating website, you don't "know" why they're not interested. Rarely does someone say "I don't want xxxxxxxxx color/race/ethnicity because............". They just say "I'm not interested in xxxxxxxxxxx"

In fact, the other ones are worse because a woman would say "I don't date short men because I don't like Napoleon Complexes" or "They are less manly". "I don't date chronically fat people because I don't like their lifestyle". Or "I want a man without kids because I don't want baby mamma drama". Or maybe a guy would say, "I don't date women without degrees because they made bad choices in life", or women would say "I don't date men with eyebrows that are more done than mine because they have to be gay".

All of which are STEREOTYPES and assumptions anyway. And these are on just about every profile

But in the end, it doesn't matter. In dating, you are able to pick and choose.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,037 times
Of course not

Old 09-15-2012, 08:38 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,919,638 times
OP, why are you even specifying what you're looking for in regards to race? You're a guy so 9 times out of 10, you're not getting THAT many messages from women to begin with (what, 3 a day?) so you might as well just leave the door open, see what comes through, and determine whether the person passes the test or not at that point.

As far as you excluding certain races being racist, it depends on why you're excluding them. If you're excluding them because you know that a relationship with a woman of a certain race would never work out logistically because you have racist parents/family members/friends who would never be accepting, then I guess that's a valid reason. However, if you're excluding women of a certain race because you personally have racist views, then obviously that's being racist. Personally, I don't know why any guy or any race/background would outright exclude all women of a certain race as virtually every race has attractive women, and even if you don't think a long term relationship would work out, you can still keep them as a fwb or whatever.

Last edited by bicoastal10; 09-15-2012 at 08:47 AM..

Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,180,768 times
AGAIN?!! Seriously? We need this thread again? http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ce-racism.html

Old 09-15-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
OP, why are you even specifying what you're looking for in regards to race? You're a guy so 9 times out of 10, you're not getting THAT many messages from women to begin with (what, 3 a day?) so you might as well just leave the door open, see what comes through, and determine whether the person passes the test or not at that point.
I get more than that. But so what? So then women should do the same with height, income, hair, number of kids, etc right? No they shouldn't because they are allowed to be choosy. Shouldn't be any different with men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.