Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:36 PM

461 posts, read 922,618 times

Advertisements

One of my friends got very touchy-feely with her personal trainer, so that'd make me weary, but overall I see no issue with it. At both gyms I've gone to, there's a ton of cross-gender trainer/trainees without issue (I guess from what I can tell!).

Plus, this particular friend was having marital issues and has done things with guys beyond her personal trainer, so just them being in contact was not what kickstarted things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Best friends boyfriend (who I am also very close to) is upset about it. I talk to my best friend almost daily and she's never spoke about her trainer besides "I'm heading to the gym". She has never really mentioned anything to me about him, besides what she does in her workouts at the gym.
He sounds like he is insecure - a very unattractive trait in a partner.

I'd warn him about not creating self-fulfilling prophecies if I were you.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,788 times
Nope -- let her go and train, man or woman.

If he ever comes home and she's freshly showered and suddenly tries to have sex in a desperate way she's not exhibited before, he needs to pack his stuff, it's guilt-sex and cover-up sex.

Totally different question, tho.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:34 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Most personal trainers these days are men. I don't think you need to worry about this unless something comes up in the future that alarms you.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:19 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,923 times
I do not see the issue. My GFs both do capoeira and jujitsu and I have never seen any cause to be jealous or for concern. Similarly I teach students in the local college a few things, both physical and mental (like vipassana meditation) and my GFs have never taken issue with any of it.

There are _some_ people in the world I know however who think that a person being in a relationship means (s)he should automatically cut off any and all unchaperoned (by them) contact with any member of the opposite sex. All I can say is that I have no small amount of pity and sympathy for people in such a relationship.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 AM

64 posts, read 85,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Nope -- let her go and train, man or woman.

If he ever comes home and she's freshly showered and suddenly tries to have sex in a desperate way she's not exhibited before, he needs to pack his stuff, it's guilt-sex and cover-up sex.

Totally different question, tho.
I hope that's sarcasm. I've showered at the gym because I don't want to get in my car all sweaty and reeking of perspiration and gone home to have sex with my husband because I enjoy it. I assure you it wasn't any cover-up sex.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 AM

64 posts, read 85,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Most personal trainers these days are men. I don't think you need to worry about this unless something comes up in the future that alarms you.
I agree. The gym I used to belong to had 5 personal trainers--4 males and 1 female. I got one of the males and so did about 50 other women.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPOUTTAIT View Post
I hope that's sarcasm. I've showered at the gym because I don't want to get in my car all sweaty and reeking of perspiration and gone home to have sex with my husband because I enjoy it. I assure you it wasn't any cover-up sex.
The idea that a boyfriend would look askance at me because I have a male personal trainer and shower after I work out. Now if I was not working out and chose instead, day after day, to lie on the couch wearing a fleece gunnysack (sweats) with greasy hair and gaining 5 pounds every week, he'd have something to say about THAT, go out and have himself an affair and try to defend it because I let myself go.

Jealousy, suspicion and raging insecurity DO NOT equal love. I am a grown woman. I refuse to be chaperoned like a hormonally challenged teenager.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:21 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Just my two cents worth. Jealousy, no, but in reality, I believe that a male going to a female trainer is odd, same as a female going to a male trainer.
Think logically, a male trainer has no way of knowing what goes on in a woman's body, so he's going to give her things to do, that he can, expecting her to do it. And if he's had to learn it from a woman, then his knowledge is still based on someone else's input. vice versa for women.

I personally see no real physical benefit in going to see a female trainer for my body. Probably on one part of my anatomy would become enhanced.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Just my two cents worth. Jealousy, no, but in reality, I believe that a male going to a female trainer is odd, same as a female going to a male trainer.
Think logically, a male trainer has no way of knowing what goes on in a woman's body, so he's going to give her things to do, that he can, expecting her to do it. And if he's had to learn it from a woman, then his knowledge is still based on someone else's input. vice versa for women.

I personally see no real physical benefit in going to see a female trainer for my body. Probably on one part of my anatomy would become enhanced.

But these are personal fitness trainers, not physicians. An effective trainer should be able to work with both men and women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships