Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:50 PM

499 posts, read 756,994 times

Advertisements

Violently. I'd never put my hands on a woman, but I always hear some of my guy friends say, "I'd never hit a woman, but if she hit me first, or posed a real threat, I'd defend myself and treat her like a man if it came down to it".

I've never been in that kind of situation and don't see myself ever in that situation, but what if you were in that situation? Would you fight back or just "take it like a man" and get hit? Let's assume she is getting violent. Doesn't matter if you're a big guy or little guy. Let's assume the woman could do damage.

What's your attitude on a situation like that?

Old 09-21-2012, 05:59 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
No, I would not hit a woman, but I would protect myself and restrain her if necessary.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:03 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
Violently. I'd never put my hands on a woman, but I always hear some of my guy friends say, "I'd never hit a woman, but if she hit me first, or posed a real threat, I'd defend myself and treat her like a man if it came down to it".

I've never been in that kind of situation and don't see myself ever in that situation, but what if you were in that situation? Would you fight back or just "take it like a man" and get hit? Let's assume she is getting violent. Doesn't matter if you're a big guy or little guy. Let's assume the woman could do damage.

What's your attitude on a situation like that?
Do only what is necessary to neutralize the threat and get away. I personally think if you want to hit me like a man you should be prepared for me to handle you like a man, but the courts ain't gonna see it like that I know. My roommate had this situation with his ex-fiance. She stuck my roommate on a few occasions. He didn't hit her back because he is trying real hard to get into bigwig Wash DC internships and he cannot afford a case for domestic violence. Thankfully, he broke it off with her before it got to the point of him really having to defend himself.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 PM

499 posts, read 756,994 times
A friend of mine (female) recently had her boyfriend of 6 yrs (who cheated on her repeatedly) put in jail. She says he put her hands on her, but I know them both and from the way she's telling me, I think she hit him repeatedly. He (according to her) tried to restrain her by holding her to the bed. She had some pressure marks on her upper body. She took him to court, and told the judge he tried to "strangle" her.

I don't believe her story one bit because everytime she says it, it changes (I know her very well and know she wanted to get back at him because she said it for years).

Anyway, the judge believed her. He was sent to jail for 1 year here in NYC, lost his house, and career.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:09 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
A friend of mine (female) recently had her boyfriend of 6 yrs (who cheated on her repeatedly) put in jail. She says he put her hands on her, but I know them both and from the way she's telling me, I think she hit him repeatedly. He (according to her) tried to restrain her by holding her to the bed. She had some pressure marks on her upper body. She took him to court, and told the judge he tried to "strangle" her.

I don't believe her story one bit because everytime she says it, it changes (I know her very well and know she wanted to get back at him because she said it for years).

Anyway, the judge believed her. He was sent to jail for 1 year here in NYC, lost his house, and career.
If he knew this woman was a violent person and he stayed, it is his fault. Woman or man, at the first sign of violence you leave.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
If he knew this woman was a violent person and he stayed, it is his fault. Woman or man, at the first sign of violence you leave.
Blaming the victim. Nice. You don't think men who are in domestic violence infested relationships don't have as hard of a time leaving as women who are in the same situations do? Think again. Listening to my male roommate's situation it would sound like the same thing a woman would say about being trapped in a domestic violence situation. You hear women really struggle to leave violent situations all the time and they get all the sympathy. Guys have the same problem and it's "man up and leave."

Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,132 times
The best thing to do would be remove yourself, call 911, get assistance, and do not fight back - that is what she wants. And, it will end uglier than it started ... Sadly, women win in this case-

I know quite a few men who have dated crazy women. They have provoked fights, gotten restraining orders when they started it, and pressed charges, for what ............... LIES !

Don't fall into it - RUN !

Old 09-21-2012, 06:15 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Blaming the victim. Nice. You don't think men who are in domestic violence infested relationships don't have as hard of a time leaving as women who are in the same situations do? Think again. Listening to my male roommate's situation it would sound like the same thing a woman would say about being trapped in a domestic violence situation. You hear women really struggle to leave violent situations all the time and they get all the sympathy. Guys have the same problem and it's "man up and leave."
Not blaming the victim, but people need to understand violent behavior is never ok. If a person is violent you leave at the first sign. If you stay, then you are responsible because you knew this person is a violent one.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:22 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,854 times
One time in college a girl slapped me. When she tried to slap me twice...well, let's just say that she couldn't write for more than a week.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,085 times
As long as she hit me first, without a doubt I would hit her back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships