Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 05:35 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,234,493 times

Advertisements

I'm 20-21 and I've never dated any women my age.. Not do I talk to them much.. Except for 1/1000 of them..

Simply because I can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,150,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
This has nothing to do with the thread, but since you threw it out there, I'll comment on it.

I'm a military officer that doesn't live in my parent's basement. I don't like videogames or watching sports. People that know me would not classify me as lazy or a moron.

With that said, I'm not chivalrous (well, nothing past common courtesy). I'm no knight in shining armor nor will I provide for or protect her. This is 2012. Women are more than capable of doing that for themselves. You certainly won't score any points with them by putting them on a pedestal. In fact, at best (the nice girls), you treat like a normal person. At worst (the trashy girls), you tried like sh*t (which they like and respond well to). The key is to determine what kind of girl you're talking to.

I don't know who you are or how old you are (you sound old), but women are just as much to blame (one could argue that they are even more to blame...due to the women's rights movement) for the collapse of chivalry as men.
+1. It never cease to amaze me some the men who come on here and brown nose and say the most asinine things, trying to impress the women on here.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:35 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlookingshadow View Post
from a mans stand point. Most men now days are just lazy ass morons who cant leave their parents basement. They know only of relationships from daytime television and the internet. They have no form of integrity or chivalry at all when it comes to the opposite sex. As a man it is sad to see the decline in what a man truly once was, thirty years ago the right man to most women was a knight in shining armor. To protect and defend her, to provide and protect her, To stand beside her and hold her hand through this great walk we call life. Now sadly most men are sports crazed, video game zombies that enjoy masturbastion with their laptops more than just a sweet kiss from a woman. So as much as i hate to admit it men are no longer what they once were. But goodluck in your search there may be some good ones left somewhere.
This post made my stomach turn.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlookingshadow View Post
from a mans stand point. Most men now days are just lazy ass morons who cant leave their parents basement. They know only of relationships from daytime television and the internet. They have no form of integrity or chivalry at all when it comes to the opposite sex. As a man it is sad to see the decline in what a man truly once was, thirty years ago the right man to most women was a knight in shining armor. To protect and defend her, to provide and protect her, To stand beside her and hold her hand through this great walk we call life. Now sadly most men are sports crazed, video game zombies that enjoy masturbastion with their laptops more than just a sweet kiss from a woman. So as much as i hate to admit it men are no longer what they once were. But goodluck in your search there may be some good ones left somewhere.

Awww I'm glad you posted. <3

Old 09-29-2012, 10:01 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Men have lost the enjoyment and the art of flirtation..Modern men think that flirtation if foreplay and a direct route to the vagina. What woman wants to imagine herself as just a target for a penis? Woman are more than that- They are a delight to the eye, mind and soul...They are not just a vessel to deposit sperm in. Flirtation done artfully is a show of real class...it is the full enjoyment of all the woman in the world.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:12 PM

127 posts, read 183,753 times
The majority of my adult dating years were spent in a college town with population bulges in the 18-25 demographic and the over-50 demographic. The vast majority of my beaus have been in the Gen-X demographic, people who are currently in their 30s and 40s. So my experience is certainly not universal, nor do I want to speak for everyone. However, I'd have to say that men have definitely not lost the art of flirting. When I was single and dating, I enjoyed flirting with guys, and some were quite artful in picking me up. Others were shyer, and I had no problem asking them out.

I knew my husband for several years before we started dating, and we were mutually interested in each other, but didn't wind up mutually single until we were 23 and 24. But when we were "just friends," he was pretty masterful at flirting with me. I felt a surge of sexual energy just being in his presence. He had me over for parties and group dinners, and lavished a lot of attention on me. I was just the "girl next door," but once we started dating, and especially, after admitting mutual love for each other and moving in together, he confessed that he'd wanted me all along. And I knew. And I wanted him too. And he knew. If that's not skill in flirting, I dunno what is!

My husband and I are in our early 30s, so while we're happily settled into family life, we also go out a couple nights each month. More recently, I've been picked up by younger men, i.e. college-student age, at bars and nightclubs. I'm mistaken for a college student because I have a small frame and a young-looking face, so it's flattering to be asked out. I feel sad to let these guys down, because they're really very smooth and sweet about picking me up. Usually I'll buy them a drink as a way of saying thanks. I would say that based on what I've seen, the younger generation is very good at flirting – sweet, sincere, and earnest. There are a few idiots who do the Pick-Up Artist thing, and believe that insulting a woman is the way to earn her heart, but they're in the minority thankfully. Maybe it's a midwestern thing, but I think young men today have successfully learned the flirting arts from their elders. What do you folks think?

Old 09-29-2012, 02:10 PM

210 posts, read 1,170,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetFedora View Post
More recently, I've been picked up by younger men, i.e. college-student age, at bars and nightclubs.

I would say that based on what I've seen, the younger generation is very good at flirting – sweet, sincere, and earnest. There are a few idiots who do the Pick-Up Artist thing, and believe that insulting a woman is the way to earn her heart, but they're in the minority thankfully. Maybe it's a midwestern thing, but I think young men today have successfully learned the flirting arts from their elders. What do you folks think?
You are young enough that many well-intentioned early-20s guys who may be looking for a girlfriend are approaching you and are, therefore, sweet and sincere with their flirtation. I'm glad to hear about this for the younger generation of women.

But, at my age, it's the "idiots" of that age group who are approaching me, and they are not charming at all--just insulting. They just tell me right off the bat that they're looking for a cougar/FWB relationship. Like I'm supposed to be thrilled by this. "Ooooh yes! Just let me be your sperm depository!" Umm.......I don't think so.

The big age difference just makes the whole idea laughable. I just shoo them away.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:13 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,276 times
I don't know, I've met a few women that weren't all that delightful. lol But then being old I shamelessly flirt without a hitch. No good at nintendo though....

Old 09-29-2012, 02:18 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
For the many american woman, they were approached by plenty of creepy men before they were old enough to be interested in men. So we are conditioned to be cautious.

I heard my first lewd comment from a male passerby at age 9 or 10. I got home and asked my mom what the comment meant and she was shocked someone would say that to a kid. Women, especially ones who hit puberty on the early side, don't have those positive experiences with strangers to refer back to when strange men approach them.

Successful flirts know that step one is to make sure the woman is feeling safe enough to be receptive to your advances.
Can someone (preferably female) elaborate on this a little further? Let's say that a woman in a coffee shop, bar, etc. knows that a man who even says Hello or 'What are you studying,' etc is trying to see if there is potential/hitting on them. What can a man do to make themselves come off as less creepy, more friendly etc?

I don't speak to women in these situations often, but my 'tactic' if you will is to keep it general and off the topic of dating, etc until the very end. At that time, we can exchange names, cards etc and see if there is potential for a date.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:18 PM

210 posts, read 1,170,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
But then being old I shamelessly flirt without a hitch.
Well good. I see nothing wrong with that. What do you have to lose?

But you have a lot to gain if that flirting helps you meet a wonderful woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships