Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:41 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Honestly, even if you were out with a male friend having a conversation and he took a long break in the attention of your conversation to stare at some chick you'd obviously be offended. It's rude and shows a high level of disrespect to the person you're with.
If he's a friend I wouldn't care at all. I'd laugh and try to egg him on to go get her phone number.

Maybe if I was spilling my soul about something distressing to him I'd be offended. But just talking about work or something? Nah.

Now if it was a boyfriend/husband he'd get a smack. Descrete glances are OK, open mouth gaping is not LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 11:13 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,307,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Well, if you're at a place that is selling eye candy as part of the atmosphere, you can't be surprised when people help themselves to the candy. Strip clubs, go-go dance clubs, Hooters and equivalent breastaurants all hire women to be looked at. Not looking at the women would be like going to the theater and not watching the play.
If an all female waitstaff equates to selling 'eye candy', that puts a number of bars in the same category as strip clubs and dance clubs. I work at two Irish owned sports bars.

That being said, I'm not just talking about guys staring at waitstaff. I see guys staring at other patrons.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:32 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,969 times
Quote:
If an all female waitstaff equates to selling 'eye candy', that puts a number of bars in the same category as strip clubs and dance clubs. I work at two Irish owned sports bars.

That being said, I'm not just talking about guys staring at waitstaff. I see guys staring at other patrons.
In some ways, of course. You think it's a coincidence that your jobs only hire women? You're being put on display for the customers to ogle so you can't be surprised when you or other members of the waitstaff are ogled. The environment encourages this behavior and that's why you see men looking at every pretty girl who walks by.

Observe this behavior in a conservative environment where women aren't put on display and that would be a horse of a different color.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 AM

Then that environment includes the majority of upscale to mid-range bars and lounges. Men don't fare well in the service industry unless they are a bartender with connections, work in fine dining, a steakhouse, or a diner.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:49 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,969 times
Quote:
Then that environment includes the majority of upscale to mid-range bars and lounges. Men don't fare well in the service industry unless they are a bartender with connections, work in fine dining, a steakhouse, or a diner.
Maybe in your area, but shockingly there are plenty of places that hire people based on their skills, not by how good they look in a skirt.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:55 AM

1,639 posts, read 2,203,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
It's rude to stare or ignore who you're with, but I'll certainly look. Much of the time, my wife will even direct my attention to some eye candy for my viewing pleasure.

Sorry your wife feels she has to do this to be the "good" woman. That's just freaking sad. Before you get upset..I cant think of many MEN who just randomly point out hot men for their women to look at. However, I hear women saying they will do this, or their men saying that their women point out women for them to look at. And if you think ANY..ANY..woman TRULY in her heart LIKES that sh&t, you are out of your mind.

I believe some women put up with this because they know men are the ones who usually have the bad habit of doing that. So they either try to just play along like its okay, or point out the women first. It's like they feel it's something they have to put up with, or should put up with or else they will be seen as "bitc*ing". It's just demeaning to a woman to have her partner do that in front of her, and it shows a total lack of respect and ignorance on the guy's part. And don't ANYONE tell me it doesnt show disrespect, because YES THE H*LL IT DOES!!

You cant keep from oogling anything with a da-mn va-gina when you are out with your wife/girlfriend? Really..it's THAT hard to do??? Seems like it's only that hard to do for more MEN as opposed to women.
Sit here and laugh and joke about it all you want, but it shows a total lack of class. Any woman that puts up with that is a fool. I would NEVER do that to my man, and I would NEVER accept him doing that to me. I swear, consideration, morals, respect..whatever you want to call it..has just fallen by the wayside as time goes on.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:59 AM

1,639 posts, read 2,203,194 times
Quote:
Have women just lost their backbone and become indifferent?

A huge YES. And the fear of being told they are acting pyscho or crazy..or being "unreasonable".

F--k that. I seem to NEVER need to stare at other men when Im out with my man. But then, I dont have the characteristics of a stray dog in heat.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:08 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
[/b]

Sorry your wife feels she has to do this to be the "good" woman. That's just freaking sad. Before you get upset..I cant think of many MEN who just randomly point out hot men for their women to look at. However, I hear women saying they will do this, or their men saying that their women point out women for them to look at. And if you think ANY..ANY..woman TRULY in her heart LIKES that sh&t, you are out of your mind.

I believe some women put up with this because they know men are the ones who usually have the bad habit of doing that. So they either try to just play along like its okay, or point out the women first. It's like they feel it's something they have to put up with, or should put up with or else they will be seen as "bitc*ing". It's just demeaning to a woman to have her partner do that in front of her, and it shows a total lack of respect and ignorance on the guy's part. And don't ANYONE tell me it doesnt show disrespect, because YES THE H*LL IT DOES!!

You cant keep from oogling anything with a da-mn va-gina when you are out with your wife/girlfriend? Really..it's THAT hard to do??? Seems like it's only that hard to do for more MEN as opposed to women.
Sit here and laugh and joke about it all you want, but it shows a total lack of class. Any woman that puts up with that is a fool. I would NEVER do that to my man, and I would NEVER accept him doing that to me. I swear, consideration, morals, respect..whatever you want to call it..has just fallen by the wayside as time goes on.
Uh.. while you are obviously passionate about this issue LOL... I have to point out that not everyone is you, and you can't make definitive decisions about what other women not you are or are not offended by. Maybe some women really, truly, don't give a ****. And that's their business. And it doesn't make them less than you IMO.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Maybe in your area, but shockingly there are plenty of places that hire people based on their skills, not by how good they look in a skirt.
Being a server requires no specialized skills, so if there is a glut of them looking for work, employers are picky. Enter the service industry in Manhattan. I have to compete in open calls with girls who look like models dressed with designer clothes and handbags for a cocktail server job. Go to the Campbell Apartments in Grand Central station, which is famous. Look at their servers.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:21 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,980 times
I don't think it's the lack of backbone so much as any serious lost of cool is seen as an actual acknowledgement that their pick of men isn't great, that they're somehow less attractive than another women (even though some are perfectly beautiful and have nothing to worry about) or they're feeling jealous.

I don't like to feel constantly jealous nor do I need to throw a fit in public. I just don't go for a certain type of men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships