Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is significant weight gain enough of a reason to end a relationship?
Yes 27 45.76%
No 32 54.24%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,965,966 times

Advertisements

I'd end a relationship if the girl I was dating got fat just like I'd probably get dumped if I picked up a drug addiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,220,007 times
Please, with the weight-shaming already. Any time a woman gets married, she automatically picks up 150 to 200 pounds. Think about it, brainiacs.

If some of you hateful people really wanted to "cut the fat," you might do well to chop off your own heads. That will be good for 9 to 11 pounds of useless flab right there.

Oops! Am I being insensitive?

Oh, and before any of you Nobel Laureates suggests it, no, I am not fat, as I have stated on other threads around and about here when I discuss my workout routines. But I do have some compassion, unlike those of you who are probably feeling pretty defensive right now because you know my comments are directed at you.

Get over yourselves already. Really.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,291,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The flaw in your logic is that you think it's YOUR job to remind a grown-up adult in relationship with you that they need to run or eat well.
I disagree. I have a friend who had this same conversation. His girlfriend had been gaining weight for over 10 years, before he and her had met. She just kept slowly gaining weight until she was well over 200lbs. She was clearly embarrassed by her weight, but it was much easier for her to put a piece of food in her mouth and get immediate satisfaction, than go with the delay reaction of weightloss.

Over time, she had talked to her dietician and was told that if she doesn't lose weight she will either develop Type II diabetes or die at a much younger age. She ended up deciding to have her stomach stapled, since it was approved by her insurance.

For her, she was once skinny, but college and post grad left her studying a lot, which also left her eating a lot. She never found the routine needed to exercise on a steady schedule, so it was easier to just eat. She knew that she hated being severely overweight, but she didn't have the willpower to get it under control. Severe weight gain can be a very daunting task, since some people can gain it much easier than someone else.

Genetics and metabolism play a very big role in weight gain.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:02 PM

241 posts, read 466,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post

Genetics and metabolism play a very big role in weight gain.

Way way way way less of a role than people like to blame them for. My entire family has been overweight, I was for almost all my life as well, up until about a year ago when I decided to do something about it.

Calories in vs. Calories out, people. It really is that simple. Its the laws of thermodynamics. Consume more energy than you use, store the excess. Use more energy than you consume, create a deficit only filled by stored energy. Everyone likes to think they're special and have a special condition, but in reality, you will lose weight if you eat less than you use. If you didnt, the government would be studying you as a source of renewable energy.

The type of disorders that make weight loss very hard are not as common as we like to self diagnose (like this stupid gluten allergy fad). For most people, its as simple as ACTUALLY counting calories, not guesstimating and not just saying it doesnt matter how much I eat, as long as its healthy.

/rant

Sorry, but my jimmies get rustled when people use genetics and metabolism as an excuse, and this is coming from someone whos been overweight almost my whole life.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,291,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Way way way way less of a role than people like to blame them for. My entire family has been overweight, I was for almost all my life as well, up until about a year ago when I decided to do something about it.

Calories in vs. Calories out, people. It really is that simple. Its the laws of thermodynamics. Consume more energy than you use, store the excess. Use more energy than you consume, create a deficit only filled by stored energy. Everyone likes to think they're special and have a special condition, but in reality, you will lose weight if you eat less than you use. If you didnt, the government would be studying you as a source of renewable energy.

The type of disorders that make weight loss very hard are not as common as we like to self diagnose (like this stupid gluten allergy fad). For most people, its as simple as ACTUALLY counting calories, not guesstimating and not just saying it doesnt matter how much I eat, as long as its healthy.

/rant

Sorry, but my jimmies get rustled when people use genetics and metabolism as an excuse, and this is coming from someone whos been overweight almost my whole life.
Im overweight too. I know guys who can eat like a horse, have little exercise, but may gain 5 lbs. I can eat the same meal, do the same amount of physical activity as them, and I'll gain 20 lbs. It always took me a considerable amount of work to lose weight. It seemed to be more work than the average 180 lb person. When I finally got down to 190 from 260, I ran out of time to devote to lifting and cardio twice a day. I quickly gained the weight back. I account a lot of it to stop being active, but some of it is my metabolism. It's always been lower than most people's.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:27 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,698,291 times
I had an ex-husband who was very fit initially but gained a lot of weight a couple of years in the relationship. I did lose sexual interest and was disgusted everytime I saw him eat another dessert. The relationship fizzled not long after

Only people living in Disneyland would think it wouldn't matter if their partner became obese.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:22 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,659,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post

/rant

Hope you can maintain your loss long term. It is easy to lose keeping it off is the hard part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships