Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,231,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
More proof that dating / relationships have both become far more businesslike over the last 30 years or so.

What next? Will you have to submit your resume to women on dating sites, or bring it along to the first date (interview)? Why not go the full hog and do credit & background checks too and have a formal application process. At that point, benefits and hours can be discussed in a formal setting.

When did we lose touch with being human?
I think it's like that now based on the venue, which is the typed word with lists and creds. People have to think about what they want before they start looking for it. Online dating would have not worked for me. Beyond that, while credit checks are unnecessary in early dating, I think a person would be a bit mad for not being full aware of a future spouse's credit history and finances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 AM

868 posts, read 1,123,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think it's like that now based on the venue, which is the typed word with lists and creds. People have to think about what they want before they start looking for it. Online dating would have not worked for me. Beyond that, while credit checks are unnecessary in early dating, I think a person would be a bit mad for not being full aware of a future spouse's credit history and finances.
Call me a relic, but what did humans do before we had the internet and access to such information? I'm not knocking people for doing it, but I wonder if anyone else feels like life in general has become too "robotic" (for want of a better word) and that people are relying on their feelings and instincts even less, making us less human? If we were suddenly faced with a major disaster and lost the technology that we so depend on, I'd say that most of us would be screwed.

I don't do the whole dating thing, but if I did, should I bring a nice bunch of flowers or a flash drive containing my resume in both Word and .pdf format?

I have my BA, but I don't see how it'd make me a better or worse potential partner. I would actually prefer a partner that had experienced real life and had traveled, rather than someone who just has the same business-related degree as millions of other people.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Call me a relic, but what did humans do before we had the internet and access to such information? I'm not knocking people for doing it, but I wonder if anyone else feels like life in general has become too "robotic" (for want of a better word) and that people are relying on their feelings and instincts even less, making us less human? If we were suddenly faced with a major disaster and lost the technology that we so depend on, I'd say that most of us would be screwed.
I'm a relic too. I would have dismissed my husband if it were left to online dating, and he's the best thing in my life.
Quote:
I don't do the whole dating thing, but if I did, should I bring a nice bunch of flowers or a flash drive containing my resume in both Word and .pdf format?

I have my BA, but I don't see how it'd make me a better or worse potential partner. I would actually prefer a partner that had experienced real life and had traveled, rather than someone who just has the same business-related degree as millions of other people.
The thing is you would meet these people while you were also traveling and doing your thing (aka living) rather than virtual living online.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 12,090 times
For me, it's just about having things in common. I'm educated (I have a Master's degree in marine science) and I would prefer my partners to be educated as well. Maybe not to the same level, but at least something. I do realize that plenty of smart people do not go to college, and plenty of dumb people do, so it varies a great deal and I usually try to decide on a case-by-case basis.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 AM

170 posts, read 206,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Never said the shouldn't. The real question is why.
Why? In short, because people do not necessarily think things through...

More education (college degrees) does not necessarily mean more successful, more motivation, better person, better values, more caring, better ability to take care of them, provide for them and such...

IOW, a turd is a turd, no matter how much you polish it...

IMHO, many of 'todays' younger people are too educated to put it in practical day to day use... A college degree does not equate to common sense...
Professors/teachers often try to instill 'their' values and beliefs to the students, which may work in an educational environment, yet not so much in the rest of the world... To them, more education is the way to better oneself and that is what they teach...

Highly educated people have problems just as everyone else...

In relationships, people tend to put an idea in their mind what their ideal mate would be, and after looking at relationship failure rates, many are wrong, yet will never admit, understand, or rationalize with the results...

Old 11-18-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFL View Post
Why? In short, because people do not necessarily think things through...

More education (college degrees) does not necessarily mean more successful, more motivation, better person, better values, more caring, better ability to take care of them, provide for them and such...

IOW, a turd is a turd, no matter how much you polish it...

IMHO, many of 'todays' younger people are too educated to put it in practical day to day use... A college degree does not equate to common sense...
Professors/teachers often try to instill 'their' values and beliefs to the students, which may work in an educational environment, yet not so much in the rest of the world... To them, more education is the way to better oneself and that is what they teach...

Highly educated people have problems just as everyone else...

In relationships, people tend to put an idea in their mind what their ideal mate would be, and after looking at relationship failure rates, many are wrong, yet will never admit, understand, or rationalize with the results...
I'm not sure I grasp everything you're saying here. People have preferences. We all gravitate to our own. With that said, relationships are not an even playing field. Success and failure rates are not equal across the board. Highly educated people marry at greater rates and divorce at lower rates. It's the inverse in reverse. Further, I think the assertion of a college degree not instilling common sense is pointless to make. It's not as if not having a college degree instills common sense. It depends on the individual. A degree is one more tool in the tool box. For the person raised in an un-challenging academic environment college can be a major player in development.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,492,659 times
I have met many people with degrees who are still provincial, not well-rounded, and kind of boring.

I have met very FEW people without degrees who are the opposite.

You just have a better chance of meeting someone who has a more expanded mind if they have a degree.
Of course, this is based on the PAST. Nowadays, degrees are so watered down that they're nearly worthless.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have met many people with degrees who are still provincial, not well-rounded, and kind of boring.

I have met very FEW people without degrees who are the opposite.

You just have a better chance of meeting someone who has a more expanded mind if they have a degree.
Of course, this is based on the PAST. Nowadays, degrees are so watered down, they're nearly worthless.
This is true. Add the typical anti-education fodder to the pot and it's (these conversations are) depressing.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 AM

7,327 posts, read 6,951,302 times
A woman basing her approval on your money is for the money not for you.
I really appreciated the movie "comming to america" with eddy merphy.
A prince came as a pauper to find a woman that loved Him .
I had a good friend years ago that was worth well over 6 figures and didn't work ,but because he couldn't keep his mouth shut over his money the women he encountered only had the money in mind ,and he would find out their plans, and dump them before the relationship was locked in. Many of these women had planns to devorce for the money.
Things would change a lot if devorce laws were changed .
As for a relationship with differing educational levels ,it can be a problem ,communication issues to begin with . Phsyical aspects do not make financial issues go away.
More importantly I think, is that folks should seek others based on similiar professional jobs , not differing jobs with similiar income .
Jobs are our culture .
We spend half our life at work or more in some cases .
If both people do the same work ,not necessarily at the same place , they have a mutual interest in in each others success, and can sharpen one another and give ligidiment support ,not the pseudo support of "have a nice day" goes. It's kind ,but not as effective as some one on your side with a little more expirence in a similar area giving you solid reference material.
My wife did not appreciate my exhaustion after work, until she began working herself.
Differing incomes have been noted to cause problems as well,especially if hers is the greater .
That statistic came form "intelligence for life" on a radio show ,I don't remember the guy's name though . very interesting show though .

Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 PM

88,777 posts, read 85,174,600 times
I would think it would be so that you had someone who could hold an intelligent conversation, but a degree doesn't guarantee that.

I think a much better yardstick than the amount of education someone has is how much do they READ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships