Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,810,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosun1 View Post
Their STUPID
I love irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 06:22 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,084,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I love irony.
I was hoping it was sarcasm, then I looked at the other posts.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:28 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I was hoping it was sarcasm, then I looked at the other posts.
I know, right? It makes it the funniest thing I've read all day.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:38 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,380,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
That's nice, good for you. I SAID there are many people without the traditional degree that still have good jobs and/or training. I also SAID most women will bypass this requirement if that is the case. I've never known any woman to reject a man on the basis of not having a college degree as long as he was gainfully employed and not 'struggling.' So sorry to break it to you -- they are likely refusing to date you for other reasons....

When did I say degrees guarantee jobs? I didn't. Experience will not always trump a degree. If that's your opinion then so be it. There's tons of people working at Starbucks without degrees too. So what. My point was: men require certain things of women in the looks department and that sucks for those of us not in those realms of consideration, doesn't it? That's just too bad. So to the men without degrees who claim certain women don't want them: That's just too bad.

Bottomline: This thread is going to turn into another 'women only want rich men' thread anyways. I seen it coming from a mile away.
The thing is - do the women actually know how much these guys make that aren't degree holders?

If I'm on a date with a woman and we talk about education and that I don't have a degree, and tell her what I do, she could easily think I make 50k, when in fact I make 150k.

I am also 26 by the way. When I was single and making about this much a few years, I definitely got a vibe that my non-education was an issue despite my $40k vehicle, huge apartment in one of the nicest complexes in the city, etc.

Sorry, but I'm not going to tell a woman on a date how much I make but I'm sure she'll assume.

Regardless, I still didn't have a problem dating whether I made 50k or 150k. I went years with several different dates on women each month, often each week. This still doesn't hide the fact that some were occasionally seemingly turned off by my lack of degree. In fact, it was often the degree holders that seemed to make crappy incomes. The pharmacists and lawyer I went on dates with could haven't of cared less.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:44 PM

468 posts, read 484,162 times
Don't have time to read the whole thread, but I reply to answer the topic question.

I'm a woman here. I don't find 'booksmart' men attractive, and I don't like chivalry neither.

I have my own job. I get pay hourly and I also get sale commission, so I am more than capable of taking care of myself. I have my own place, my own car, my own money, and my own things.
Am I rich? Nope, but I sure have enough money in my OWN saving account, that I don't need any man pocket.

I don't need a man with a degree, why should I? What the heck does his degree have anything to do with 'me'?
And I don't get along with rich men anyways, my character is too strong. I will not stroke their ego, I will not go kiss up to them, I will not say things just to make them happy.
We have nothing in common to talk about, beside "Hi" and 'Bye"

My parents hook me up with an older rich Chinese man once, this man have a degree and have business too. To be frank I don't care him, and I'm Chinese myself, lol

So this older man, he want to go to the most expensive restaurant in the city for dinner, I told him I want street food.
So rather he get 'hood' with me, or I force myself to go to expensive restaurant w/him. But why should I force myself to do something I don't want?
Obviously none of us want to compromise, so it just won't work out. It hard to date someone when your values and them are 180 degree difference.

Educated/Rich men likes Classy women, the Good Wife type, the one with degrees just like them.
I don't have any of that, I get out in life at early age, and I struggle myself through life on my own. I have dysfunctional childhood, I don't have a degree. I'm a college dropout, I'm not classy. So there, ain't no rich man gonna go after me, and rich men are not my cup of tea neither.

All my Asian friends married educated/rich men though. They said educated men with degree are good "provider" for family, and they love men with lots of $$$ because it make them feel secure. Whatever float their boats, it their life afterall.

Last edited by ishe; 01-03-2015 at 12:10 AM..

Old 01-03-2015, 12:04 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,395,367 times
I know that kind...I've always tried to stay away.

I don't think when dating you need to impose silly criteria. But it's a free world after all.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:12 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,221,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
The thing is - do the women actually know how much these guys make that aren't degree holders?

If I'm on a date with a woman and we talk about education and that I don't have a degree, and tell her what I do, she could easily think I make 50k, when in fact I make 150k.

I am also 26 by the way. When I was single and making about this much a few years, I definitely got a vibe that my non-education was an issue despite my $40k vehicle, huge apartment in one of the nicest complexes in the city, etc.

Sorry, but I'm not going to tell a woman on a date how much I make but I'm sure she'll assume.

Regardless, I still didn't have a problem dating whether I made 50k or 150k. I went years with several different dates on women each month, often each week. This still doesn't hide the fact that some were occasionally seemingly turned off by my lack of degree. In fact, it was often the degree holders that seemed to make crappy incomes. The pharmacists and lawyer I went on dates with could haven't of cared less.
I get what you're saying, but the vast majority of people without a degree don't make that kind of money, especially at 26.

Personally, I prefer a woman with a degree in specific fields simply due to the job stability and the fact that they have to be intelligent to be successful in these fields. That doesn't mean that I would rule out a woman without a degree in those fields, but I've noticed, in general, that people without degrees tend to be either lazy or unintelligent. Of course, there are exceptions....

Old 01-03-2015, 06:22 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,795,162 times
Looking for someone with a 4 year degree (I only have a 2 year so I'm not bias) is not always about money.

It can sometimes (not always) be an indicator of the depth of conversation you can expect from someone. If you're capable of having really deep conversations on the sciences and the other person prefers to talk about sports, it can make for an unfulfilling relationship.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:29 AM

88,636 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I love irony.
I know. Provided a good laugh this morning.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:37 AM

52,306 posts, read 52,756,330 times
Forest for the trees.

When people think about higher education, we seem to assume that people assume that someone with education is smart, well read, at least, right?

The greater purpose of education aside from providing jobs skills is to enlighten... to have a bigger understanding of our world, our place and how things work together or fit....

When I read a post about someone not accepting someone that doesn't have a degree... I just sort of sigh...... that person making that judgment about another without a degree has missed the boat of life and common sense so far, it's almost laughable... it goes against the very basic concept of education... ... if you follow what I mean... education is about opening the mind..... making snap judgments is closing the mind... an incongruity of sorts....

Defeats the whole conceptual purpose of education....

It's nothing but ego to require a degree in our spouse...

They can't see the forest for the trees......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships