Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times

Advertisements

Ah shucks, it's like looking down on children for believing in Santa Claus, tooth fairy and unicorns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,478 times
No, I don't look down on folks who believe in soulmates.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
I don't believe in the concept of soulmates, myself. I think love is as much a verb as an emotion.

However, I'm not enough of an ahole to look down on others if they do.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:51 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times

I believe in soulmates.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
"A soulmate (or soul mate) is a person with whom one has a feeling of deep or natural affinity, similarity, love, sex, intimacy, sexuality, spirituality, or compatibility."

A definition I found.

So am I to believe that it is nieve to think I could have a close connection in these areas with another person?

If so, I must be awfully nieve every day, when I get to experience and enjoy the amazing connection I have with my wife.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:59 AM

86 posts, read 118,813 times
Hey, while were passing judgment on others why not judge the OP's post. Soul mates aren't "The one" so I'd suggested learning a little bit about something before you pass judgment on those that actually understand and believe in the concept. We have MANY soul mates and they enter our lives for all sorts of reasons. Some are "karmic" and are here to teach us a lesson about ourselves while others are here to serve as companions. The type that is most often mistaken for "the one" or loosly termed "soul mate" is actually called a twin flame or twin soul. In a sense they are "the One" because they match your vibration energy (another concept to pass judement on) while your other soul mates would be similar but not the same. That being said the connection is a spiritual connection so it doesn't have to even be a romantic connection. What's annoying isn't people that believe in soul mates its people that believe they have met "the one" when in fact they are just infatuated and don't really feel the other person at the soul level. They think that labeling them a "soul mate" makes their connection special when in fact it isn't special nor unique.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Quote:
Do you look down on people who believe in soulmates?
Should I?

I rather explore what the term means to the individual person, instead. I don't automatically assume they don't know what it takes to form healthy long-term relationships based on a word often used to describe the essence of love in a figurative sense.

If anything, holding onto concepts such as "this person is my best friend/soul-mate" can strengthen a commitment even more if people have strong faith in it as compared to someone who doesn't and checklists requirements on a set of cold facts. Who's to say dreamers don't make reality a wonderful one?

It's about perception, really.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Whenever I hear a girl talking about soulmates or the "one," I have this reaction . I can't believe people in this day and age fall for that fairy tale crap. To me, thats a sign of naivety and red flag because you have to wonder what that person is going to do when they realize that marriage is not a fairy tale. Can they handle the daily routine when it comes to a long term relationship.

Soulmates is a BS concept. It's 100% about luck and opportunity.
Funny, I have the same reaction of people who look down on people. Especially for such a trivial reason as this.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Never, a "soul mate" is not necessarily a romantic relationship, soul mates come in many forms and if you and your partner are soul mates great, but it does not mean your relationship is going to be a fairy tale from day one. It means you have a deeper compatability on many levels and it may make your relationship smoother but there will still be issues because we are human.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I know my husband is my soulmate.

Does that mean our life will be a bed of roses? Feck no. Marriage is hard work. I think there are other types of soulmates also. You know when you meet someone and there is an instant connection and you just "get" each other? Same thing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships