Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,758 times

Advertisements

Whenever I hear a girl talking about soulmates or the "one," I have this reaction . I can't believe people in this day and age fall for that fairy tale crap. To me, thats a sign of naivety and red flag because you have to wonder what that person is going to do when they realize that marriage is not a fairy tale. Can they handle the daily routine when it comes to a long term relationship.

Soulmates is a BS concept. It's 100% about luck and opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Well, I agree and disagree.

I agree that it is a red flag when someone believes if they meet the right person, all will be pefect in a fairy tale, everyone lives happily ever after ending. It does show nievity, but it is very prevalent.

That said, I do not think a "soulmate" has to fit the image of a fairy tale ending. I think some people refer to their "soul mate" as someone who they have amazing chemistry with (for whatever reasons or details). A person can have a soulmate, recognize that soulmate, and know that it takes a lot of work and effort, along with the chemistry, to make a relationship work and last. Especially through difficult times.

The issue may not be the label as much as how some people define it.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Did you ever hear that song "I'm at a Pay Phone"?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
I think my husband is my soul mate. It doesn't mean I believe our marriage is supposed to be a fairy tale. I'm not sure why one term would make you think you know someone's whole outlook on love and life.

Well, I'm off to the stables to have my daily horse ride. This evening I'll be donning my favorite evening gown because we are having a ball. Ahh... the life of a princess is never dull!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,348 times
In general, yes I think they're naive and those aren't the types of girls for me...so I avoid them. I'm into more practical types.

This is also because I feel like if they're naive about this, then they're naive about many other things in life too. They're probably not that street smart, may be the type that's easily conned into getting into debt (useless, expensive grad degree program for example or wanting the perfect fairy-tale white picket fence house even though it's totally impractical), and is probably someone who's a sucker for marketing campaigns.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
I love it...

Just because one believes in soulmates they must have unrealistic views of the world around them, they are naive, they are easily conned, in debt, not street smart and gullible.

I feel that it's an optimistic view on relationships, not that they are naive.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:12 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,788 times
"Believe in"...? -- no.

"Talk about constantly, make reference to it with every new boy/girlfriend they get, bring it up as reality just because they found out both parties enjoy circus peanuts, then get miffed because of a missed phone call and decide that person wasn't their soulmate"...? -- Abso-fraggin'-lutely.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Whenever I hear a girl talking about soulmates or the "one," I have this reaction . I can't believe people in this day and age fall for that fairy tale crap. To me, thats a sign of naivety and red flag because you have to wonder what that person is going to do when they realize that marriage is not a fairy tale. Can they handle the daily routine when it comes to a long term relationship.

Soulmates is a BS concept. It's 100% about luck and opportunity.
What a pile of rubbish. I mean, just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others. Heck, I've never been to Indonesia, but I know it's there.

Actually, if you prick up your ears and pay careful attention to the people who cross your path in life, you'll find the person whose personality, chemistry, whatever align almost ideally with what you seek--even if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

I met my wife at a party. It was an instantaneous connection. Had she not been there with a date, we would have left the party right then and there together to talk. Mind you, we had to wait a week before we saw one another again, but we were engaged within three months of first meeting. And married within 10 months. Twenty-two years later, we still complete each others' sentences and have had precisely one argument (Over a vacuum cleaner attachment, of all things).

So maybe if you'd stop with the face palming and actually pay attention to life, maybe you'd start recognizing those opportunities when they come along. Who knows? You might have missed out on one already.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I feel that it's an optimistic view on relationships, not that they are naive.
I like your summation here!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
No. To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships