Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:34 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There is a friend zone. Basically it's called 'rejection hell'. Again, a 'friend' is not a bad guy or a jerk. On the contrary he's probably a nice guy, listens to the woman, and is generally there for her. But she would rather not be with him, generally because there is something about him she doesn't like. The most common reason is that he's unattractive or 'too sensitive'. In either case, women like have male friends, it's like the most valuable friendships a woman can have. They can have a guy around who they aren't pressured to hook up with and sleep, and they get 'intel' about the male psyche. Can't go wrong there.

In either case, I've come to find women who friendzone a man are generally irresponsible anyway. If she knows he likes her, because the guy told her. Then she should save him some time and grief and just kick him to the curb. Instead the woman keeps him as a friend with the fuel of the attraction to keep him around, and the hope that she'll 'have a change of heart'. All the while kind of taking advantage of him.

I've found friend zone is generally employed by tacky women anyway. Any woman who wants to friend zone me, I generally save her the trouble and end the thing myself.
How is being friends with someone taking advantage of them. I've had lots of male friends that I knew had feelings for me - why would I end my friendship with them because of that? If we enjoy each other's company - what's wrong with just being friends? And what makes me tacky for having male friends? And I don't see my male friends as "intel" or anything - just friends. What's so tacky about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 04:35 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What an odd perspective. Why would anyone think that you would have to stop being friends before you start dating someone?
Well, I assume to date someone is to be more than friends.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:36 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have plenty of unattached single male friends and I'm single myself. Men and women CAN be friends without having romantic feelings ya know.
but I think what that poster is saying is, its stupid to be friends with somebody you have romantic feelings for, if the feeling is not mutual.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:36 PM

15 posts, read 14,501 times
no such thing as a friendzone. if someone doesn't like you then they just don't like you in that way. move on

Old 10-15-2012, 04:38 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
There is a friend zone. Basically it's called 'rejection hell'. Again, a 'friend' is not a bad guy or a jerk. On the contrary he's probably a nice guy, listens to the woman, and is generally there for her. But she would rather not be with him, generally because there is something about him she doesn't like. The most common reason is that he's unattractive or 'too sensitive'. In either case, women like have male friends, it's like the most valuable friendships a woman can have. They can have a guy around who they aren't pressured to hook up with and sleep, and they get 'intel' about the male psyche. Can't go wrong there.

In either case, I've come to find women who friendzone a man are generally irresponsible anyway. If she knows he likes her, because the guy told her. Then she should save him some time and grief and just kick him to the curb. Instead the woman keeps him as a friend with the fuel of the attraction to keep him around, and the hope that she'll 'have a change of heart'. All the while kind of taking advantage of him.

I've found friend zone is generally employed by tacky women anyway. Any woman who wants to friend zone me, I generally save her the trouble and end the thing myself.
You're making this sound like a) men and women can't possibly be friends, and b) "friendzoning" men is something that women do maliciously and deliberately. If a woman isn't romatically attracted to a man, but she enjoys spending time with him, being friends is an option for her. It's not using or abusing him from her perspective, because they're friends and they're having a good time. If he doesn't want friendship, and is just tagging along hoping that she'll change her mind and sleep with him, then it's his responsibility to tell her he can't be friends and to lose his number.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie ribbons View Post
no such thing as a friendzone. if someone doesn't like you then they just don't like you in that way. move on
so what do you call it when a person doesn't have romantic feelins but still wants to be friends?

Old 10-15-2012, 04:40 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
well you are screwed. Getting out of the friendzone is tough enough already, but trying to win their heart when they are with somebody else, is damn near impossible.
Look man, I approached someone and found out I clicked with them... It's too bad that they were taken, but what can I do. Good friends are hard to find, male or female.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:40 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
How is being friends with someone taking advantage of them. I've had lots of male friends that I knew had feelings for me - why would I end my friendship with them because of that? If we enjoy each other's company - what's wrong with just being friends? And what makes me tacky for having male friends? And I don't see my male friends as "intel" or anything - just friends. What's so tacky about that?
I think it depends on the situation but a woman can potentially use the leverage of the romantic interest to manipulate their male friend(s). Not saying this is always the case, but you have to understand that a guy who has romantic interest will generally bend over backwards for the girl until he gets his feelings in check.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
My point if the woman had any class and was responsible, she would bite the bullet and end the friendship. His feelings for her are not going to actually ever go away, and he's really hanging around because he thinks things may change. Trust me, a woman 'friending' a guy knows this, but they're just taking advantage of his attraction because they know she can rely on him. Is this or is this not irresponsible on the woman's behalf. I am not exonerating men from blame, because it's a two way street. But when it's a bad situation where someone is getting taken advantage of, it definitely take 2 to make this work.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
My point if the woman had any class and was responsible, she would bite the bullet and end the friendship. His feelings for her are not going to actually ever go away, and he's really hanging around because he thinks things may change. Trust me, a woman 'friending' a guy knows this, but they're just taking advantage of his attraction because they know she can rely on him. Is this or is this not irresponsible on the woman's behalf. I am not exonerating men from blame, because it's a two way streak. But when it's a bad situation where someone is getting taken advantage of, it definitely take 2 to make this work.
i'm going to have to defend women on this one. its completely the male's problem if he allows himself to be friend zoned and stay in the friendship afterwards. That's no different when it comes to women allowing themselves to be used for sex in the misguided thought it can help them be in a relationship with a guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships