Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times

Advertisements

About true, 'unconditional', genuine love...love for the 'person', and not really because of other reasons...I mean I think we all 'love' for a perfectly tangible reason, even if we don't admit it...looks might not be the whole reason but it can sure add a lot to it. The idea of unconditional love is kind of stupid, when you think of it, most people don't even have it for their children (how many would still love their children if they ended up being Adolf Hitler?).

Has anyone grown cynical about the whole idea? Basically realised what they see as obvious, that love isn't really some glorified spiritual bond but serves a practical purpose. Every romantic impulse is driven by evolutionary biology. If so what event/events made you feel this way? Or have you always felt this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,113,000 times
I think true love is possible but not something everyone gets to experience. I think most people have unrealistic expectations about love (I'm guilty of this myself) where they expect to meet someone and fall madly in love at first sight and be crazy about that person for the rest of their lives.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I think true love is possible but not something everyone gets to experience. I think most people have unrealistic expectations about love (I'm guilty of this myself) where they expect to meet someone and fall madly in love at first sight and be crazy about that person for the rest of their lives.
Methinks many 'love at first sight' stories contain a dash of hindsight and projecting feelings onto memories.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:19 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,639,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Methinks many 'love at first sight' stories contain a dash of hindsight and projecting feelings onto memories.

x2

It's all BS if your ask me.

If there were such a thing as "true love," why is the divorce rate in the US so high?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:30 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
I don't really believe in "unconditional love" as it seems to involve a bit of "checking your brain at the door." And I'm not down with that. Maybe if I had a kid. But it wouldn't be the blind love many associate with that term.

As for "true love," I think it has been sapped of much of its meaning but that it exists. True love is really just an enduring emotion where you consistently put the other person's welfare above your own without resentment or excessive expectation. All this crap about finding "The One" and whatnot just warps that concept in my opinion. True love is something that you can find with any one of a large number of people, not just some magical individual who was custom-designed for you by the heavens. People use the idea of "The One" to justify some of their worst decisions and most self-destructive relationships.

Oh God, did that come off as terribly jaded?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
Why be cynical? That takes a lot of effort.

If you don't believe, then don't believe.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
i guess, only if the feeling stays mutual tho.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 AM

190 posts, read 305,440 times
Yeah, I've never really believed in any of that romantic love crap either. It's just another fairytale, like the guy in the sky who watches everything we do.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 AM

190 posts, read 305,440 times
Wasn't there an experiment years ago that showed the way people's brains act when they think they're in love is the same as when someone takes crack cocaine for the first time. I'm sure I read that somewhere. it makes sense anyway. "love" is just a drug that's great at first but doesn't really end well

Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
I think it's out there but to find it we have dig a little harder then we would normally. I don't think you can meet someone & say I've found my one true love. I believe that over time you start to understand said person the more it comes true. But I also think it takes years to discover that this person is your true love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships