Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times

Advertisements

I think true love is more of a choice than a feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
True love is the stuff of fairy tales. Real love is hard work, it's sacrifice, it's compromise and it's based on good communication. True love implies both people will be entirely compatible on every single subject and we know that simply isn't the case.

I think we can find a partner who is very compatible on many levels, but to make a relationship work for many years, takes more than just a feeling.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
True love is the stuff of fairy tales. Real love is hard work, it's sacrifice, it's compromise and it's based on good communication. True love implies both people will be entirely compatible on every single subject and we know that simply isn't the case.

I think we can find a partner who is very compatible on many levels, but to make a relationship work for many years, takes more than just a feeling.
Yes, the reality of "and they lived happily ever after" is because they put the effort in to live that way, not because a fairy godmother waved her magic wand over them.

IMO, true love is an active choice, along with the understanding that every day is not going to be a happy day, that you're not always going to get along, but that you've committed to each other and are working toward shared goals in life and thinking of each other's happiness and well-being, not just your own. The bumps, ripples and disagreements are a part of life, part of any relationship involving more than one person. True love is accepting the person you love on their worst days, not just their best ones.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:

^Bolded Text.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:03 PM

5 posts, read 5,371 times
Quote:

Highly agreed.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
adult love is conditional. lip service is paid to unconditional, such as
im getting on the bus with my suitcase now-- but i will always love u.
dogs love unconditionally, spca kills 25 million of them each year.
codependent no more.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:03 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,407,485 times
as long as a couple can continue to be
thoughtful, concerned and affectionate
and sympathetic, their love can last a
lifetime.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:07 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
IMO, true love is an active choice, along with the understanding that every day is not going to be a happy day, that you're not always going to get along, but that you've committed to each other and are working toward shared goals in life and thinking of each other's happiness and well-being, not just your own. The bumps, ripples and disagreements are a part of life, part of any relationship involving more than one person. True love is accepting the person you love on their worst days, not just their best ones.
I read a quote from the late Anne Bancroft once that's pretty spot-on about relationships. She said something like, " My husband [Mel Brooks] doesn't always make me happy, but I can't imagine going through life without him."

Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 PM

120 posts, read 211,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBeamDreams View Post
Yeah, I've never really believed in any of that romantic love crap either. It's just another fairytale, like the guy in the sky who watches everything we do.
I think I agree with you.

Conditional love doesn't exist because we are conditional and mortal beings. It's the human condition.

Besides, if true and unconditional love really existed, then the ugly, broke and unemployed guy could get the girl of his dreams. But a simple reality check shows that this is just not how the world works.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:27 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
I think some people can become cynical when they have unrealistic expectations or ideas of what "true love" really is. Hollywood, TV, books, etc, all like to give us romanticized and fictionalized notions of what true love is outside of the realm of reality.

Then, people go out and "fall in love" with someone. Which is great. However, that too is not all there is to true love (even though they were conditioned to think so by our cultural influeces).

So when the initial emotional tide of love passes, and people end up in real life, they have to learn that loving someone is far more complicated than the rush of emotion and hormones they had initially, or even periodically through the relationship.

So finding and accepting what true love is, sacraficial love, giving, compromising, helping, lots of hard work, etc, along with those rushes of emotions can be sobering to many, and leave them feeling let down because it is not what they expected out of true love.

The other component here, is whether someone wants to do the work for what is really "true love" once they find it. As we have seen here on C-D, it may not necessarily be for everyone for a variety of reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships