Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:12 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,678,690 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 years old right now and still living at home, primarily because I want to pay off all my debt and start saving up money for a down payment on a house. I make a lot of money (around 85K a year) but I have around 20-25K in student debt and another 5-6 K in credit card debt, which will take me around 6-7 months to pay off. After that point, I'm going to start saving up money for a down payment on a house. I am really trying to set myself up well financially. In fact, I want to have my first house completely payed off before I'm 35

Would you ladies be turned off if you were to find out a man who is 23-24 is still living at home, even though he is very successful?

Old 11-02-2012, 02:22 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
I'm guessing you're probably looking to meet women in your same age range, and many of them are most likely in the same amount of debt, whether they live at home or not. If some of them live by themselves with the same amount of debt you have, they may scorn you for living at home still, but that's mostly just them not being smart and/or envious of you having that opportunity.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I'm guessing you're probably looking to meet women in your same age range, and they are most likely in the same amount of debt, whether they live at home or not. If some of them live by themselves with the same amount of debt you have, they may scorn you for living at home still, but that's mostly just them not being smart and/or envious of you having that opportunity.

If I met a woman around 23-25 who had her place, I would probably just hang out there all the time and pay for all our dates to make things equal

I'm just very frugal when it comes to money. I hate spending a bunch of money on an apartment that I can use to save up for a down payment when it's a great time to buy a house (low prices and super low rates)

Old 11-02-2012, 02:25 PM

266 posts, read 402,634 times
I am a 23 y/o female and it would definitely turn me off if you were living at home and had no ambition. However, I think your logic is very smart and seeing as you have a good job (which makes me actually believe your plans for the future - not one of those who just says your living at home is temporary), it wouldn't bother me.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 PM

521 posts, read 762,608 times
No. I wouldn't date a 23 year old still living at home with his parents. I don't care what his excuse is.

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
If I met a woman around 23-25 who had her place, I would probably just hang out there all the time and pay for all our dates to make things equal
That's very nice.

Quote:
I'm just very frugal when it comes to money. I hate spending a bunch of money on an apartment that I can use to save up for a down payment when it's a great time to buy a house (low prices and super low rates)
Yep. You are smart.
Hopefully the girls you date will understand that (assuming you tell them this).

266 posts, read 402,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I'm guessing you're probably looking to meet women in your same age range, and many of them are most likely in the same amount of debt, whether they live at home or not. If some of them live by themselves with the same amount of debt you have, they may scorn you for living at home still, but that's mostly just them not being smart and/or envious of you having that opportunity.
Exactly, not everyone's parents will welcome them rent-free and allow them the opportunity to save up money/get out of debt. Otherwise, there would probably be a lot more people living at home in their 20's.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:27 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,396,604 times
23 years old and living at home is like a year or 2 out of school which really isnt that big of a deal.. i did that when i didnt have a job and when the economy was in the crapper but u have a very good job.. i would move out and find my own place

Old 11-02-2012, 02:28 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
I'm 23 years old right now and still living at home, primarily because I want to pay off all my debt and start saving up money for a down payment on a house. I make a lot of money (around 85K a year) but I have around 20-25K in student debt and another 5-6 K in credit card debt, which will take me around 6-7 months to pay off. After that point, I'm going to start saving up money for a down payment on a house. I am really trying to set myself up well financially. In fact, I want to have my first house completely payed off before I'm 35

Would you ladies be turned off if you were to find out a man who is 23-24 is still living at home, even though he is very successful?
In this economy and with runaway student debt, I wouldn't say this is a big deal. It's become more common for people to live with their parents for a few years after graduation. And it sounds like you have a good job. Plus, this sounds like you really have your head together re: financial planning.

I knew a couple who lived with her parents after they finished grad school. They had good jobs and saved for buying a house. This is one way to get ahead in life. It's the right reason to live with parents after college.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
23 years old and living at home is like a year or 2 out of school.. i didnt that when i didnt have a job and when the economy was in the crapper but u have a very good job.. i would move out and find my own place

The issue with finding my own place is that I'm going to get a house in about a year - year and a half

Why move into an apartment now and then move again in a year or so, in the meanwhile I burn through about 15K?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships