Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm Lutheran and have taken communion in Catholic churches more times than I have digits and appendages upon which to count.
I didn't say it can't be done, TR. I'm just saying any of the Protestant religions are technically not on the "invitation list." In fact, I remember a scandal in San Francisco where a group of heathens (jerks, really) convincingly dressed up as nuns and monks, or whatnot, and partook in communion at a Catholic church and, once they were all given a host, they burst out in raucous laughter, as if in "the joke's on you." I've got a raunchier sense of humor than most on CD, as a whole, but I did NOT find that funny. Regardless, if you are fine with taking the Catholic communion, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I often pass on Communion, myself, when I go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 01:18 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm Lutheran and have taken communion in Catholic churches more times than I have digits and appendages upon which to count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I didn't say it can't be done, TR. I'm just saying any of the Protestant religions are technically not on the "invitation list." In fact, I remember a scandal in San Francisco where a group of heathens (jerks, really) convincingly dressed up as nuns and monks, or whatnot, and partook in communion at a Catholic church and, once they were all given a host, they burst out in raucous laughter, as if in "the joke's on you." I've got a raunchier sense of humor than most on CD, as a whole, but I did NOT find that funny. Regardless, if you are fine with taking the Catholic communion, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I often pass on Communion, myself, when I go.
Interesting. I'm Episcopalian and I won't take Communion in the Catholic church because they make it very clear that we are not welcome to do so. I know the argument that Christ overrides the Catholic church so therefore we should feel free. I just don't, though. I feel it's disrespectful.

Maybe it's old guilt from childhood--I was in the Reformed Church then, but used to claim I was Catholic on Holy Thursday because all my friends were Catholic and they got to leave school and walk over to the church at lunchtime. I went along with them and watched what they did and took Communion. God KNEW I was lying!

Old 11-10-2012, 01:32 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
OP, there are online dating sites specifically for atheists. Google "atheist dating" and you'll find several. Good luck.

As to your questions, ideally, I would like to date a church-goer, but it is not necessarily a deal breaker for me if he's a non-believer, so long as he respects my desire to be involved in my church.

I think if people reference religion in their profiles, they are serious about it. They know it will weed out some of the dating pool. They're simply being forthright.

I don't really see the point in going to a site specifically for atheists. It doesn't mean much in regards to who I am. Were I to list 10 Key Things to Know About Me, atheism wouldn't make the list. I think it would rank #25 or so. I should think that folks on an atheist site (or Christian, Buddhist or whatever) are there because they are serious about their beliefs. I am not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships