Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 05:19 AM

11,388 posts, read 9,307,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Now, if you are not good by yourself, you are less likely to have a good relationship with someone else.

One popular saying is, "You never know what you have until you have lost it."
In the end I'm glad I lost my ex. Just saying...

OP ---

Single life is not overrated. Piece of mind is priceless. However I would be open to a relationship if it was the right situation for me. I can't afford another mistake.

Learn to like yourself better. From what I gather from your post you need to work on that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 AM

11,812 posts, read 12,062,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't buy that for a second. I bet the majority aren't unhappy and miserable. That sounds more like a coping mechanism than anything. I'm not saying you're wrong for living how you do, I don't see myself being married any time soon either.. but I don't think you can project that majority of marriages are unhappy.

All men love talking about hot women, it does not matter what situation you're in.. if you're ever with a group of guys, you talk about hot women. That doesn't mean they're unhappy with the person they're living with though, and it doesn't mean they want to leave that person for every hot woman they see.

Both have pros and cons and it all boils down to how you want to live.
I agree. If you're happy with your life choices, you're out there living your life and enjoying it. The minute you start making sweeping generalizations and putting down the choices of other people, that tells me you're not really happy, you're just trying to justify the path you're on.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:08 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,683,087 times
Freedom is priceless but so is love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

OP ---

Single life is not overrated. Piece of mind is priceless. However I would be open to a relationship if it was the right situation for me. I can't afford another mistake.

Learn to like yourself better. From what I gather from your post you need to work on that...
For some reason this post and your tone reminds me of this song I heard on the radio the other day.

Kenny Rogers - I don't need you - YouTube

Old 11-14-2012, 07:05 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,211,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Freedom is priceless but so is love.

For some reason this post and your tone reminds me of this song I heard on the radio the other day.

Kenny Rogers - I don't need you - YouTube
I wished that there was more of the type of love you speak and mean of.

Instead we have cheating on a SO = not much love for the SO being cheated on there.

Divorce that comes blindsided = not much love doing it to the one being served the papers.

Being lied to = not much love there.

I sincerely hope you find him as you sound like a sweet woman, except when you're throwing rocks lol!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,185,217 times
So for those of you who think single life is so great, but are still married, why?? Why not split up already, if you would be better off alone? Relationships must not be that awful; otherwise you would have split up by now. Something is keeping you around.

I'm not saying i need to get married anytime soon, but it sure would be nice to have a special woman in my life.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,683,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I wished that there was more of the type of love you speak and mean of.
lol but it's good 4U.

(I mean, love)

Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
So for those of you who think single life is so great, but are still married, why?? Why not split up already, if you would be better off alone? Relationships must not be that awful; otherwise you would have split up by now. Something is keeping you around.

I'm not saying i need to get married anytime soon, but it sure would be nice to have a special woman in my life.
That illusion ended for me when most women have (other than the looks, personality and how he treats me dept., requirements) have other requirement lists not too acceptable to me. It's no longer on he or she is a human being, but a what they can get and think they're entitled to.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
lol but it's good 4U.

(I mean, love)
lol!

"Love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love.
There's nothing you can do that can't be done.
Nothing you can sing that can't be sung.
Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game
It's easy.
There's nothing you can make that can't be made.
No one you can save that can't be saved.
Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you
in time - It's easy.
All you need is love, all you need is love,
All you need is love, love, love is all you need.
Love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love.
There's nothing you can know that isn't known.
Nothing you can see that isn't shown.
Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.
It's easy.
All you need is love (all together now)
All you need is love (everybody)
All you need is love, love, love is all you need."

But what kind of love, hmmmmm...........

Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,046,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post

Well, LP, single life and married life can both be great! (They can also both be miserable). It depends on the individual, their wants, needs, desires, aspirations, etc.

I was single the first 30+ years of my life. I was at times extremely happy, and at other times not so much. I did do a number of great, fun things that would have been complicated by a marriage or family. I was able to put effort into my education, my career, do a lot of travel, save without obligations to support anyone (such as kids), etc. Essentially every life decision, financial, spiritual, personal, etc, was mine and mine alone. I could and did do what I wanted and felt I could/should.

For portions of that time, I did not put a second thought into being with someone. I enjoyed my life. I did not want or feel a need to have a committed relationship. Other times, I felt like I was missing something, and wanted some companionship.

I am now married, and very happy in my married life too. My worldview did change a little, which has helped. Having accomplished about as much as I feel I could have single, I started to feel a deeper longing to share experiences with someone. Not just to travel, but to travel with a special someone. My wife is, for me, an amazing woman that enjoys the same things I do, has the same morals and sensibilities, who I get along with fabulously, etc. (No, I am not trying to rub it in to anyone). Just saying she is a terrific "best friend" for me, and that is really where our marriage and relationship starts. I know find great pleasure in our shared experiences, whatever they are, and feel it is worth the things I had and gave up being single. Basically, decisions become shared, when to travel, what to spend, etc.

So why stay married? It is great for me, just like there were so many times being single was great for me.

My point is that anyone can have a great single life, or a great life in a relationship. It all depends on what we want out of our life, when we want it, and how we want to achieve it. It also greatly depends on what we put into it. Single people who are happy work to make their lives happy, like people in relationships work to make their relationships happy.

If I were to offer you advice, it would be to be sure you are doing things that improve your quality of life. Do things you enjoy, take advantage of being single, etc. While doing that, you can also put effort into finding a special woman for yourself who would be a good fit for a relationship for you. Just don't lose sight of enjoying what you have while you are working on what you don't.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,362,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Hey, it goes both ways. There were certain things that I was afraid to lose, but when I lost it, I realized it was more of a burden to me.

I didn't know what I had until I lost it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships