Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I do this?
Yes 7 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 PM

11 posts, read 6,604 times

Advertisements

Its been about three years, and I havent talked to an old friend of mine since this happened. Id known her a pretty long time and considered her a pretty good friend, but im from the Northeast and she is from the Midwest so we had to plan stuff out to hang out. Few summers ago, she paid for some fairly expensive roundtrip airfare for me to come out for something that I had agreed to do for her. So I flew out there for a week, but I didnt end up doing it because there was some miscommunication beforehand. Needless to say, she didnt appreciate it and things didnt end well. Things were said. I left, and I havent heard from her since.

Ive thought about it from time to time since then. Whether or not I should just leave it be. She deleted me from Facebook soon after that and all that other BS (yes I know, trivial stuff). I feel bad and wonder if I should pay her back. Even after all these years, and if youre wondering why its taken this long, its because I havent had a good enough paying job to afford it, until now. I asked her cousin last year for her address because she moved, and her cousin obliged.

So the question is, should I pay her back or just leave it alone?

Thank you all for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Well, that would be a nice gesture. Can you figure out whose fault the miscommunication was? Not that it matters, I guess. It would be a great gesture. Just be prepared to have it rejected; you don't know where her mind is at. But I think it would be very big of you to make the gesture. You should explain you've felt bad about it all this time, but only now have the means to make up for the mistake.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 PM

601 posts, read 759,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, that would be a nice gesture. Can you figure out whose fault the miscommunication was? Not that it matters, I guess. It would be a great gesture. Just be prepared to have it rejected; you don't know where her mind is at. But I think it would be very big of you to make the gesture. You should explain you've felt bad about it all this time, but only now have the means to make up for the mistake.
Too late. I think you should weigh the high possibility this may open more resentment. I also believe, deep down inside, youre under the impression that if you did this, she would reconnect with you. if this is so, stop it right now. thats not happening. move on

Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,550,226 times
I think if you want to remain friends with her then you should at least offer & take it from there.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,459,593 times
it shouldn't be a question or situation that needs opinions from outside sources if you really feel THAT bad about it.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:36 PM

To be honest, it doesnt matter. There was miscommunication, but for the week I was visiting/helping out, we were both acting like *******s to eachother. It ended up blowing up at the end, and id known this girl for about 10 years. Despite the faults and miscommunications, its been a few years and I still think sometimes what I should do about it.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 PM

601 posts, read 759,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisismyname View Post
To be honest, it doesnt matter. There was miscommunication, but for the week I was visiting/helping out, we were both acting like *******s to eachother. It ended up blowing up at the end, and id known this girl for about 10 years. Despite the faults and miscommunications, its been a few years and I still think sometimes what I should do about it.

Thats the problem though..youre not doing this because its the right thing to do..you want to do this because you feel it will reconnect you guys and fix everything. and it wont.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
it shouldn't be a question or situation that needs opinions from outside sources if you really feel THAT bad about it.

It wasnt a relationship at all. In fact, going out places, we had to re-inforce we werent dating. We were both very good/close friends. So its not like I have this underlying lust or anything. Im actually leaving the country soon anyway. I just kind of feel bad about the situation and now that I can afford it after all this time, wonder if I should just send it out.

I wasnt planning on writing a long note or anything. Just sending the check and thats it.

We both are on very different paths and made it clear we arent/werent going to date, I just dont wanna have this hanging over my head. Id rather patch it up than leave an enemy and move on. So I wanna know if this is acceptable, or if I should just leave it be. Is it weird to do?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post

Thats why im thinking of doing it, but its the length of time thats passed that im wondering about. I would definitely mail it, but if its been this long, im thinking maybe I should just leave it alone.

Whether its a friendship or a relationship that you valued, you want things to end well. Its easier to move forward that way.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisismyname View Post
I wasnt planning on writing a long note or anything. Just sending the check and thats it.
I'm not sure this is the best route. A short note, like "I feel bad about what happened years ago. Just got a good job, thought you should have this. No strings. Mea culpa."
Something along those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships