Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 05:55 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,674,830 times

Advertisements

you sort of felt sorry for this person, so you continue talking with them anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 06:04 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,495,633 times
YES
just before i moved away, i met a woman, and she was desperate for someone to talk to. she has a terrible marriage, abusive husband, she is in therapy etc. but all she does is COMPLAIN about the same things over and over! and no matter how much advice she gets to stand up for herself etc, she says "i know, you are right, you are so right"....she continues the same behavior.
i feel sorry for her though! she has 2 kids, and its hard to start a new life with 2 babies when no one can offer any help.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:16 AM

904 posts, read 2,874,516 times
Yes. I began a casual conversation with another mother outside our 2nd grader's classroom one day years ago. She was very nice. We talked a few more times at school and then she asked my daughter to come over and play with her daughter. They had a few play dates after school, couple at the park, one at my house, one at her house. I thought everything was going well. I knew this woman was going through a bad divorce and thought she just needed a new friend. I was just coming out of a bad divorce and felt like "giving back" for all the nice things people had done for me during a difficult time.

Anyhow...after a few weeks of play dates, the mother asked me if I would watch her daughter for a weekend while she went away with this new guy she was dating. I agreed. The daughter was a total pain the entire weekend! She would go into my kitchen after dinner and just start fixing food for herself. She complained about everything. She fought with my daughter over every toy, game to play etc. My daughter kept complaining and asking when this child was going to go home. We were all miserable.

After that weekend the mother continued to ask me every time she had a date if her daughter could spend the night. Every weekend she had her daughter turned into her wanting me to babysit. I felt sorry for the child and for her but our daughters really didn't even like each other at this point and I was being used.

I finally just quit saying yes, quit calling her, quit answering my phone when she called. I did everything to drop a hint and she wouldn't get it. It took almost two years for her to really stop calling.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:22 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,543,102 times
I tell my mother many times that I just want to slap her for making me so nice....Ok so all my posts don't show that but I am...

At work here we have a rather eccentric person in the office..she and her husband have been married 40+ years, no children and to be honest no friends.

She is so hard up for someone to talk to if someone is talking anywhere in the office, she will get up out of her chair and try to get into the conversation.

While she's annoying, she has a heart of gold and I just can't be harsh to her.
Sadly, even the fake typing doesn't faze her.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:23 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,342,445 times
My mother in law.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:48 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,442 times
I stopped being that way. I refuse to be miserable because of someone else. the moment I see someone annoying me I ignore them. I don't smile or laugh. And I look at them with the blankest face possible. And I make sure to look like I have things to do.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:59 AM

904 posts, read 2,874,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
I tell my mother many times that I just want to slap her for making me so nice....
Exactly! My mother's favorite comment is, "There's no excuse for being rude or mean." I have always tried to live by that. It is really hard with some people! You know the saying, WWJD? (What Would Jesus Do?) I always ask myself WWMT? (What Would Mother Think?)

Old 10-03-2008, 08:28 AM

886 posts, read 5,717,264 times
Yep sure have. I finally told her to go away until she got he head on straight. She was never happy about anything and even if something good happened she wound still find a way to ***** about it.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,543,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
Exactly! My mother's favorite comment is, "There's no excuse for being rude or mean." I have always tried to live by that. It is really hard with some people! You know the saying, WWJD? (What Would Jesus Do?) I always ask myself WWMT? (What Would Mother Think?)

OMG..we were separated at birth! I'm going to pass this one on to my sister!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Yes. But it's really tough to make it happen sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships