Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times

Advertisements

I got to thinking about this today. I am the kind of person who does not wish to change people. I do believe that if a person thinks they need changing, then they are the decider of that. I do not go into a relationship trying to change anyone.

So, is there anything about you or anything that you do that your SO doesn't like, or would like you to change, and did you/would you?

My sweetie has never complained once about anything I do or anything about me....out loud. Not until July 4. He got out of the shower and said, "Do you know that you have 16 bottles of things in the shower?"

I had never really thought about it, but he was right, I did. So, we went into the bathroom and I explained to him my order on the use of all of the products.

I do use them all, but I don't suppose they all need to be in there... By the time he got home from work the next day, the number of bottles was down to 8.

Not a biggie, and not anything to get rid of me over, lol.

Flip side; he keeps all the food downstairs! He doesn't like things on the kitchen or bathroom counters and I am quite the opposite. You can probably tell by all of my products...

I have been living with him since January so I suppose there has been compromise. I keep the things I use a lot upstairs and the surplus stays downstairs. He shops for a million years and it is all in the basement.

He has cut back on that....

But about our personalities or selves, so far neither of us has complained.....

I do suppose that we must compromise when we live with someone and not everything can be our way all the time

You? Would you put away some of your shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and facial cleanser for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:35 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,876,358 times
I would have held onto/done more to protect my innocence/idealism

Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I would have held onto/done more to protect my innocence/idealism
That sounds sad...

Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,011,782 times
Good topic, Pikantari.

I think that as my wife and I have lived together and learned more about each other, we adjust on the fly without really noticing. Then we look back and realize how different we are than we were a year prior.
One thing that my wife changed in me was my wardrobe. I have no sense of style, and if wasn't shorts or T-shirts/sandals I was screwed! My wife has helped me pick a better dressing style, still casual but much nicer than before. Of course, the clothing is just one example.

As for her...well she was perfect to begin with, so no changes necessary!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Good topic, Pikantari.

I think that as my wife and I have lived together and learned more about each other, we adjust on the fly without really noticing. Then we look back and realize how different we are than we were a year prior.
One thing that my wife changed in me was my wardrobe. I have no sense of style, and if wasn't shorts or T-shirts/sandals I was screwed! My wife has helped me pick a better dressing style, still casual but much nicer than before. Of course, the clothing is just one example.

As for her...well she was perfect to begin with, so no changes necessary!
Thank you! Aww, I bet she would be happy to hear that!

My clothing has also changed. I couldn't be more comfortable in a t shirt and jeans, or a hoodie in the winter. I bet I could totally be on What not to Wear!

I have started wearing more girlie type things because it seems to me that he likes that, and I have taken his cue, and he does.

The compliments are nice too!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:52 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,011,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Thank you! Aww, I bet she would be happy to hear that!

My clothing has also changed. I couldn't be more comfortable in a t shirt and jeans, or a hoodie in the winter. I bet I could totally be on What not to Wear!

I have started wearing more girlie type things because it seems to me that he likes that, and I have taken his cue, and he does.

The compliments are nice too!
Every now and then I have a rare moment of clarity and remember to stop after work to buy a nice card or something like that. About a year ago I came pretty close to losing my wife when she developed a blood clot in her lung. She's only 25, so way too young for this! She was pregnant at the time. Thankfully she recovered and went on to deliver a healthy baby, who is now 6 months old. This is our third. She is an amazing mother and wife, and every once in a while I think back to last summer, and how close I came to losing her. Those are the days when I remember to stop and pick up something nice on my way home.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Every now and then I have a rare moment of clarity and remember to stop after work to buy a nice card or something like that. About a year ago I came pretty close to losing my wife when she developed a blood clot in her lung. She's only 25, so way too young for this! She was pregnant at the time. Thankfully she recovered and went on to deliver a healthy baby, who is now 6 months old. This is our third. She is an amazing mother and wife, and every once in a while I think back to last summer, and how close I came to losing her. Those are the days when I remember to stop and pick up something nice on my way home.
What an uplifting story. I am glad everyone came out of that healthy and well.... Bless your family..

Old 07-11-2012, 08:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I got to thinking about this today. I am the kind of person who does not wish to change people. I do believe that if a person thinks they need changing, then they are the decider of that. I do not go into a relationship trying to change anyone.

So, is there anything about you or anything that you do that your SO doesn't like, or would like you to change, and did you/would you?

My sweetie has never complained once about anything I do or anything about me....out loud. Not until July 4. He got out of the shower and said, "Do you know that you have 16 bottles of things in the shower?"

I had never really thought about it, but he was right, I did. So, we went into the bathroom and I explained to him my order on the use of all of the products.

I do use them all, but I don't suppose they all need to be in there... By the time he got home from work the next day, the number of bottles was down to 8.

Not a biggie, and not anything to get rid of me over, lol.

Flip side; he keeps all the food downstairs! He doesn't like things on the kitchen or bathroom counters and I am quite the opposite. You can probably tell by all of my products...

I have been living with him since January so I suppose there has been compromise. I keep the things I use a lot upstairs and the surplus stays downstairs. He shops for a million years and it is all in the basement.

He has cut back on that....

But about our personalities or selves, so far neither of us has complained.....

I do suppose that we must compromise when we live with someone and not everything can be our way all the time

You? Would you put away some of your shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and facial cleanser for him?

I think in any good relationship the two partners work to accomodate one another on those little things.

16 bottles in the shower would scream "major clutter" to me, lol, and I would not like it either.

I view this kind of thing as just altering personal habits for the sake of your partners comfort level - not asking them to change WHO they really are

Old 07-11-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think in any good relationship the two partners work to accomodate one another on those little things.

16 bottles in the shower would scream "major clutter" to me, lol, and I would not like it either.

I view this kind of thing as just altering personal habits for the sake of your partners comfort level - not asking them to change WHO they really are
Loves he says he likes you already. Yep. I like to have a few things sitting on the bathroom and I found them gone......

Nope, it doesn't change who we are, just our habits. I think we work well together and are very accommodating.... I hope to be that way for many years to come......

Old 07-11-2012, 08:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
I need to change my bra the under-wire is stabbing me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships