Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,870,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I can tell you!

The guy that has to bring his own cheese to a restaurant to put on his burger because he doesn't like what they have there already.

The guy that is super picky about food or refuses to eat the same thing twice in a week so you run ragged planning a menu or waste food.

The guy that texts you 10 times a day while you are out working, trying to pay bills.

The guy that leaves coffee cups in the bathroom, won't clean up after himself, etc.

No, I am not with him anymore, thank goodness. Maybe that's not really high-maintenance, but just an a**hole.
For the bolded part: Holy hell on a ham sandwich you just described my old roommate. I found the reason his wife left him after a few months dealing with him. Seeing a 30 year old man expecting to be babied like he's 10 is just sad. Glad he's not living with us anymore.

The texting part sounds just like my former co-worker who's ALWAYS on the phone to his wife... well, his marriage ended and he got fired because he was a lousy worker anyway.

Who complains about food? I can understand allergic reactions and other things but really.... REALLY? Life's too short to not experience eating different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,298,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I really dont see where hight maintenance has anything to do with cost or paying for chit.
It does. A woman who likes to live high-maintenance will desire to continue to live that way once she starts dating and when that day arrives, guess who will be paying for those high end restaurant meals and drinks? Guess who will be paying for those high end movie theater tickets? and any other high end activity you can imagine --------> the guys that take her out. That is the difference between a high maintenance woman and man.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:41 AM

36,832 posts, read 31,112,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
It does. A woman who likes to live high-maintenance will desire to continue to live that way once she starts dating and when that day arrives, guess who will be paying for those high end restaurant meals and drinks? Guess who will be paying for those high end movie theater tickets? and any other high end activity you can imagine --------> the guys that take her out. That is the difference between a high maintenance woman and man.
High maintenance does not equate to expensive restaurants, etc. It can be constaintly complaining about your food, or service or anything else. It can be someone full of drama. It can be someone who is just picky about every little thing.

If a woman leads an expensive lifestyle, I imagine she will date men who also live an expensive lifestyle. If a man is on a hamburger budget, he dosent date steak. And furthermore he dosent have to pay for anything.
Of course you still clinging to that assumption that men are so ignorant, easy, (insert whatever word you want) that they will fork over all their money to wine, dine and shower a women with expensive gifts constantly even when he dosent have to or want to. So whatever if that makes you feel better about yourself. You seem to be almost the only person who sees the world this way.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
If a woman leads an expensive lifestyle, I imagine she will date men who also live an expensive lifestyle
A man living that lifestyle or not will still have to take care of hers if he wants to take her out. Come on, it’s part of the whole dating rituals where women prefer men to take the initiative and pay.

Quote:
If a man is on a hamburger budget, he dosent date steak. And furthermore he dosent have to pay for anything.
Correct. If he’s not dating anybody, he won’t have to pay for anything but his own consumption. If he’s dating, he will take care of his and hers.

Quote:
Of course you still clinging to that assumption that men are so ignorant, easy, (insert whatever word you want) that they will fork over all their money to wine, dine and shower a women with expensive gifts constantly even when he dosent have to or want to.
Nope, it’s not that men are ignorant, it is that women PREFER men to take initiative, take care of expenses, be chivalrous, etc. Are we doing to deny that fact?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:08 PM

9,229 posts, read 16,585,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
This topic came up last week when a co-worker complimented me saying: I was 'low maintenance'
He thought many women would find this attractive in men today.
Truth be told, I never really thought of guys in terms of 'maintenance' but I guess that we are
So what's your preference and why
Depends on how you define it. To me it's more emotional. I don't care if a man wants the best suits and the nicest home. If he can afford it, great. If he is always worked up about something, needy, whiney....he's high maintenance. Take a hike.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:15 PM

36,832 posts, read 31,112,467 times
[quote=onihC;26978899]
Quote:
A man living that lifestyle or not will still have to take care of hers if he wants to take her out. Come on, it’s part of the whole dating rituals where women prefer men to take the initiative and pay.
Take care of her what. Drama, pickiness, complaining?

Quote:
Correct. If he’s not dating anybody, he won’t have to pay for anything but his own consumption. If he’s dating, he will take care of his and hers.
Why would he have to "take care" or her high maintenance needs?

Quote:
Nope, it’s not that men are ignorant, it is that women PREFER men to take initiative, take care of expenses, be chivalrous, etc. Are we doing to deny that fact?
In my book its ignorance for one person to suffer due to what another person prefers. I dont deny the fact that you believe this or succumb to it.

In most peoples reality they pay for their own induglences. I dont consider myslef high maintenance but I enjoy a massage, a good bottle of wine, eating at a nice restaraunt occasionally but if I start dating I dont "prefer" or "expect" the guy Im going out with to start picking up the tab for those things as you are implying. If thats something you do, maybe you should just stop it so you can let go of some of this anger.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,999,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
no man would be caught dead getting a pedicure.. you think clint eastwood gets his nails done?
Yup I bet he does. Because pedicures come with foot massages. Don't knock it until you try it. Getting a pedi does not mean you need to get it with nail polish. Many places have a "man's" pedi that is basically a foot soak, nail trimming and foot massage. Well-groomed feet are a turn on.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM

840 posts, read 1,151,909 times
Not sure what that meant.

High maintenance as in career minded, a perfectionist, meticulous about things and look for somebody to partner up with? Sure. Looking for one of those.

High maintenance as in always harping about me not looking like I stepped out of Harper Bazaar while playing Mommy to him and waiting on him on hand and foot? No thanks.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,697,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I find this funny, because I'm a 'take charge' type of person and I have not had a SINGLE MAN tell me he preferred it. In fact, if anything women who pay their own way and take initiative are seen as desperate, stuck up or controlling and men don't necessarily like those traits.

The women I know that are independent are single for the most part, the women who are needy drama queens are almost all in relationships or married. Weird how that works, eh?

Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
In most peoples reality they pay for their own induglences. I dont consider myslef high maintenance but I enjoy a massage, a good bottle of wine, eating at a nice restaraunt occasionally but if I start dating I dont "prefer" or "expect" the guy Im going out with to start picking up the tab for those things as you are implying. If thats something you do, maybe you should just stop it so you can let go of some of this anger.
Yes, in most people’s reality they pay for their own things but if a man comes to the picture when it comes to dating it is more than possible that he will be the one taking care of HER expenses when going out (dinner, drinks, entertainment, taxi, etc.). Maybe she might consider the thought along the road once it becomes a steady relationship or perhaps before that.

A so called high maintenance girl when going out with her girlfriends will probably pay for her own meal and drinks. If a man starts to take her out it is more than possible that he will be the one paying for her meals and drinks. That's how dating normally works and has been supported even around here.

Nope, no anger here. I go out with American girls too so I don’t see where anger would come in. It’s just preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I find this funny, because I'm a 'take charge' type of person and I have not had a SINGLE MAN tell me he preferred it. In fact, if anything women who pay their own way and take initiative are seen as desperate, stuck up or controlling and men don't necessarily like those traits.

The women I know that are independent are single for the most part, the women who are needy drama queens are almost all in relationships or married. Weird how that works, eh?
Then I suppose maybe men don’t like to do house chores because they don’t want to be seen as controlling or something. A man is more likely to not tell you he prefers you to take initiative and contribute to expenses because of the fear to be labeled cheap or loser. We have heard over and over around here how guys get kicked to the curve if they accept a woman who pretends to want to contribute to expenses.

So you say you are a woman that takes charge but no man around you likes it. What do you do? Do you let them have the last word on it and deciding that you shouldn’t be who you are and be in control on how you should behave or do you not care what they say and still ask them out, contribute to expenses, etc.? I’ve been with girls who are also “take charge” type and I have not let them contribute but they put their foot down and tell me straight out they want to participate on the date as much as I do or they won’t feel comfortable going out anymore.

It works weird at times. The bad boys who are abusers are almost always in relationships as well. Crazy world we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships