Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,048,877 times

Advertisements

It's his dream...I would venture to say, Yes, support him in this. You don't have to be into politics at all in order to do this. You just have to be there for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 05:20 AM

936 posts, read 2,063,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy.senorita View Post
I Love My Husband Very much we have been married now for 2 Years so still sort of newlyweds. He has a good Career and enjoys what he does or at least so I thought? He comes to me 6 months ago and tells me he wants to be a County Magistrate. I was sort of in shock, I promised for better and for worse, for richer for poorer you get the point.. BUT He is 31 years old.. and we have a mortgage HELLO???? CAMPAIGNS, POLITICS WHICH I HATE!!! WHAT DO I DO??? Shouldn't we be thinking about a Family right now?

Please I need some sort of direction on this.
First, he'd be running for a county-level seat, not POTUS. It's not like you're going to be under the same microscope as the Obamas.

He's the one who would have to campaign and practice politics, not you. So you can hate campaigns and politics all you like--you're not really involved (not at the county level, at least; if it were a federal Congressional seat, that may be different). Plus, judicial campaigns are generally more low-key than, say, gubernatorial or Congressional campaigns.

Second, what does his age have to do with anything? You state that he's 31; so what? I'm not seeing what your objection is there.

Is he a lawyer? He may see this as a natural extension of his current career. Or maybe he's looking to stretch himself professionally. Do county magistrates get paid for their work? I would imagine that they do, though it may not be enough to live on; he may also keep working privately as well.

Sounds like the two of you need to sit down and discuss what your combined priorities are.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,305,869 times
Yes you should support him in his career of choice. And back him 100% - WANT to do that!

And that could mean frequently going with him to various public meetings. Dressing nicely, smiling at everyone, and being the "perfect" wife.

If you don't want to do that and can't do that, tell him now.

FYI - There can be BIG benefits to being a politician's wife! Look at all the free designer dresses Nancy Reagan got, not to mention the 2000 pairs of shoes Imelda Marcos had. Many of those were given to her actually - by shoe makers in the Philippines (big shoe industry there).

Also if you like to travel, politicians are frequently sent on "fact finding trips" (junkets) to other countries. They take their wives.

Politicians also get "paid" to give talks to "special interest" groups (bribes). Time to get in on this American "gravy train"!

Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,924,119 times
OP, go make your own money and stop looking for a handout. If you want a certain income and won't be satisfied with your husband's income, go out and earn it yourself.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,791 times
Default Whoa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
OP, go make your own money and stop looking for a handout. If you want a certain income and won't be satisfied with your husband's income, go out and earn it yourself.
I do make my own money, your response is totally rude and so off the subject.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 2,791 times
Default Response to Ruth4Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, we need more information. Is your husband a lawyer? Or would he have to go back to school to qualify for this job? Once he's appointed, would he lose the job if a different political party got local control? What are the risks involved, here? Is there a reason why you haven't asked him his thoughts about your concerns? If you ask calmly, I'm sure you'll get calm rational answers. Communication and discussing decisions that would affect you both are cornerstones of a good relationship. I would start there, if I were you.
No my Husband is a Physical Therapist, so you can see why it is all news to me! and No for the position in the County Seat that he wants he does not need any further educations or degrees to qualify for this job. He claims that if he is appointed County Magistrate he would still work a full time job. A county Magistrate in our area makes almost 50,000 dollars a year. He claims he wants to help the people and reduce his salary and let it go for things that matter and use the money he makes from His current job to live on. I also work with him I am a PT Assistant So we both make good money its just He always gets these Out there ideas, I don't want him Jeopardizing his current Job because I don't think he realizes Campaigns are a full time Job too. We talked a long while today, I support him 110 Percent now and am on board I just hope it doesn't come back to slap the both of us on our butts. I guess I need to have more faith huh?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 PM

19,847 posts, read 22,747,670 times
Did you marry him for love or money. When you decide you will have your answer, and it sounds like you may have already done that..

Old 11-28-2012, 10:50 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,423,279 times
Quote:
I Love My Husband Very much we have been married now for 2 Years so still sort of newlyweds. He has a good Career and enjoys what he does or at least so I thought? He comes to me 6 months ago and tells me he wants to be a County Magistrate. I was sort of in shock, I promised for better and for worse, for richer for poorer you get the point.. BUT He is 31 years old.. and we have a mortgage HELLO???? CAMPAIGNS, POLITICS WHICH I HATE!!! WHAT DO I DO??? Shouldn't we be thinking about a Family right now?

Please I need some sort of direction on this.
There needs to be a compromise on both sides on what you both plan to do.

Don't let a buncha strangers tell you what to do in your marriage.

You two are the ones involved. Less muddled when you have too many perspectives butting in.

Communicate about your concerns about the expenses and potential kids' futures.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 PM

601 posts, read 759,587 times
Whats the problem, afraid you may need to move into an apt. Isnt marriage suppose to be adaptable for righer or for poorer, "Hello??" <<<so wanted to say that hahaha

Old 11-29-2012, 05:09 AM

936 posts, read 2,063,416 times
Quote:
No my Husband is a Physical Therapist, so you can see why it is all news to me! and No for the position in the County Seat that he wants he does not need any further educations or degrees to qualify for this job. He claims that if he is appointed County Magistrate he would still work a full time job. A county Magistrate in our area makes almost 50,000 dollars a year. He claims he wants to help the people and reduce his salary and let it go for things that matter and use the money he makes from His current job to live on. I also work with him I am a PT Assistant So we both make good money its just He always gets these Out there ideas, I don't want him Jeopardizing his current Job because I don't think he realizes Campaigns are a full time Job too. We talked a long while today, I support him 110 Percent now and am on board I just hope it doesn't come back to slap the both of us on our butts. I guess I need to have more faith huh?
Your husband wouldn't be the first person to step out of his career area to dive into the political pool; Ron Paul, for example, is/was a physician. And who knows--he might turn out to be good at being a county magistrate!

Unless he's already embroiled in local politics, his first campaign will likely end in defeat. And how he handles that defeat will let you know whether this is just another "out there" idea, or whether he's committed to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships