Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,590,027 times

Advertisements

OK, so someone has done the 35+ single & never married topic. What about those of you like me who have been married got divorced & are 45 & up. Add in who never had children. If you had children that's fine too. I'm betting most here around my age had children at some point. Do you miss anything about being married? Would you marry again or is your life just fine & your happy growing old alone?
Why or why not? And what do you miss? If anything. What don't you miss? any regets?

I always said I'm glad that me & the ex never had kids.... I think I some how I wish we did I think that is my only regret. Would have been nice to teach them how to ride a bike set up a tent, see their eyes when Santa comes..... Oh well. I do think being my age is a bit scary being single sure I can still date, etc but it seems like your days are numbered to some extent. I can hear the clock ticking some times.

Last edited by reed067; 12-03-2012 at 01:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 01:42 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,286,850 times
I'm 47 and my kids have left home and I'm just getting started on the action

I don't plan to even think about settling down again until I'm well into my 60's.

As far as this "growing old together" stuff....one of you almost always dies years before the other, so unless you happen to be in a plane crash or something one of you will be left alone, no matter what.

There's also a statistically significant chance one of you will murder the other if you marry.

So...for now, I can't even imagine another full on relationship. For me, anyway. I'm dating, but it's just that - dating.

And fun.

But I am way younger than my years, it would be different if I was one of those "old" gen x's.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,928,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
OK, so someone has done the 35+ single & never married topic. What about those of you like me who have been married got divorced & are 45 & up. Add in who never had children. If you had children that's fine too. I'm betting most here around my age had children at some point. Do you miss anything about being married? Would you marry again or is your life just fine & your happy growing old alone?
Why or why not? And what do you miss? If anything. What don't you miss? any regets?

Not married =/= growing old alone

People still date, have a bf/gf, have friends, have family, etc. The only people who are truly alone in the world are death row inmates because they are confined to their cell 23 hours a day, have no contact with other inmates, and can only see their family behind a glass window. If that's not you, you probably won't be growing old alone.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,442,188 times
Divorced...kids grown. I don't like that the men I meet now were happily married for 30 plus years, and are widowed. They act like the "love of their life" is gone..
so, I am not crazy about being anyone's "second best", or "not as good as the first wife", it is like, why even bother?

I rolled the dice on marriage, and got "Craps". Happens. That does not make me a loser.

So, I contemplate being alone. I am okay with it. A bit sad. But happier alone than with someone miserable. And definitely not looking to be with some guy who really wants his dead wife instead of me. And the divorced guys usually want some young chick. Really? A man age 65 wants little kids? I guess so..or they are so jaded and cynical about women, their bitterness oozes out of them.

Guess I will just keep going to yoga.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,705,578 times
I'm in my 30's but I will answer.

I am divorced with 2 children. I wouldn't change my past, it was a good experience and my children add to my life, not take away from it, contrary to what childless people think.

I would love to marry again and now that my children are older and secure and take very little of my time, I have more time to think about how I much I like the companionship, the romance, the sex, and the stability of marriage. I am a hopeless romantic at heart.

On the flip side, being single has exposed me to a high degree of freedom that I was never used to having when I was married. It's been nice and I do enjoy it. I am content. I hope to adjust easily to losing that if I marry again.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM

11,407 posts, read 9,328,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post

I always said I'm glad that me & the ex never had kids.... I think I some how I wish we did I think that is my only regret. Would have been nice to teach them how to ride a bike set up a tent, see their eyes when Santa comes..... Oh well. I do think being my age is a bit scary being single sure I can still date, etc but it seems like your days are numbered to some extent. I can hear the clock ticking some times.
My only regret was getting married in the first place. The biggest mistake I ever made in my life by far. I wish I could at least get some of those years back.

I never had children because I never wanted them. It was my choice.

I'm used to getting older alone and I frankly don't give a damn about that. I will continue to have some fun while I still can.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,939,723 times
Divorced/no kids. Older than OP.

I miss having someone to carry heavy stuff and do house repairs. And bring me coffee in bed...so far, my felines have not agreed to do this on my behalf.

Single life agrees with me, wholeheartedly. I would not mind having a guy I really like to go out with on occasion, but not marriage.

Holidays aren't that easy-it is about family and kids-of which I have neither.

BUT: I am content... on most days.
And FREE to do whatever, whenever... or not.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,592,859 times
of a truth i will tell u am 64 and having the time of my life. my SO is incredibly good looking younger and very devoted. i was used like a soccor ball by my ex.
strange that god would save the best for last.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,705,578 times
Oh, I definitely miss having someone to open pickle jars and kill bugs for me (I hate bugs).

Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,004,521 times
I was just over 50 when my wife accused me of playing around with another woman. (Wish she'd told me if I enjoyed it or not) She got remarried 3 days after the divorce was final. Kids are grown and have kids of their own.

I don't have a problem fixing meals for myself, and even patching my own clothes. I don't have to answer to anyone about where I've been or where I'm going. I don't have any of the drama that comes with some relationships. And, if a woman comes along that would suit me, I'm open. But, I don't expect that I'll really know if she suits me for some time after I meet her. If she's in a hurry to get into a long, serious relationship, she'll have to keep looking. Whether or not I'll actually get married again depends on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships