Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,212,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I'd be concerned with whether or not you'd be responsible for any debts he has if he should die.

Wouldn't you want to know what those debts are? I sure as hell would.

You'll have to do some research, but I beleive if you live in a community property state then you would be the responsible party (as his wife) even if your name isn't on any of his debts. This would apply to any debts that have happend within the marriage. Make sure he isn't charge card happy or financing a ton of crap. I'd also look into what happens if he decides to refinance his property.
Excellent point, sixy. His debts would need to be tied to his estate so it could come out of the inheritance. I can't imagine marrying someone without knowing their social security number and pulling a credit report yearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,673,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Excellent point, sixy. His debts would need to be tied to his estate so it could come out of the inheritance. I can't imagine marrying someone without knowing their social security number and pulling a credit report yearly.
Yeah, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shae Connelly View Post
We had an situation where he went into the hospital for some tests, nothing serious. And when they admitted him they asked him for next of kin and he said his sister. That did kind of bother me, he said he thought they meant actual relatives.
Man, that would **** me off too.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Yeah, really.

Man, that would **** me off too.
The actual relative thing is weird. That doesn't sound like a marriage to me. I don't know why some people get married if they cannot deal with very deep commitment that comprises marriage. They should just live together.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
How do people even get into these situations?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How do people even get into these situations?
We've been asking this since page 1. Why did you marry this guy, OP?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,578,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
"Many women" is a thing of the past. Do you have statistics showing that most women get alimony in divorce cases in 2012?
She mentioned she had no job. No chance a judge is letting a man divorce a jobless 50+ year old woman without having to pay her.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
She mentioned she had no job. No chance a judge is letting a man divorce a jobless 50+ year old woman without having to pay her.
I think people have to be married for 10 years. It's the reason my step-mother is not divorcing my father (together 17 years). She doesn't want to pay alimony.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM

11,381 posts, read 9,299,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shae Connelly View Post
Thank you everyone. I am not a gold digger, there is no gold to dig. Just don't want to be kicked out of here in case he gets sick of me. He has a very good job, but I do understand his money is his money.

We had an situation where he went into the hospital for some tests, nothing serious. And when they admitted him they asked him for next of kin and he said his sister. That did kind of bother me, he said he thought they meant actual relatives.
Yeah, right.

Face it, this isn't much of a marriage. As someone already said you are more like a roommate.

As far as you being off work for a year I do have some advice for you. It is apparent that whatever field you were in is not in demand. I suggest you use the work experience you do have and branch out to something else. Get a lower paying job if necessary. Reinvent yourself and you may be surprised that you can go up the ladder once again. I did that and I'm in my mid-50s.

Sign up with all the temp/staffing agency's that are in your area. You need to start making your own money and fast.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
I can understand wanting the majority of your nest egg to go to your children when you marry later in life - but I would also want to ensure my spouse was taken care of. The part about you not even being next of kin is downright odd. In all honesty, that would bother me quite a bit.

Before DH and I married we discussed what he wants his children to receive, and I told him what I want to go to my sister and mom.

I have no advice as what's done is done, and it doesn't sound like it's going to change. I'm sorry.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,578,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think people have to be married for 10 years. It's the reason my step-mother is not divorcing my father (together 17 years). She doesn't want to pay alimony.
No. the 10 years means that you are eligible to give lifetime alimony which is why a lot of couples in California divorce after 9 years so that they don't pay 40 years of alimony for just 10 years of marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships