Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times

Advertisements

Have you ever called your date/SO/partner the wrong name?

Does it really mean anything?

I went out last night with a guy I've been casually dating for a few weeks and I called him the wrong name. He was insisting he was right about something and I got peeved, so I said, "ok, Bob, you're right. Let's move on." His name isn't Bob (he wasn't right either, but that's another story).
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Have you ever called your date/SO/partner the wrong name?

Does it really mean anything?

I went out last night with a guy I've been casually dating for a few weeks and I called him the wrong name. He was insisting he was right about something and I got peeved, so I said, "ok, Bob, you're right. Let's move on." His name isn't Bob (he wasn't right either, but that's another story).

LOL...I've never done that but I would have played it off like, "I called you the wrong name just like you're wrong about (insert topic here)" lol

So, umm, when's the next date?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,768 times
No as I don't call my dates by their name. I use nicknames like 'honey', 'sweet cheeks', 'baby', etc to avoid situations where I call them the wrong name which could possibly be plentiful as I multi-date and don't care what their name is.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:32 AM

223 posts, read 732,446 times
My wife called me by her ex's name once in casual conversation and I knew she was mortified by it so I just said something funny like "am I that bad?" and chuckled...then she laughed and we both LOL'd together. It was an honest miskate so no sense making her feel bad by it.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I did it once, 24 years ago, at dinner with my then-fiance. I called him the name of the guy I had dated previously while we were on a break.

My now-husband STILL bristles about it.

I will say that whether or not it's bad depends on the significance of the person behind the name.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
If they can't laugh about it, then they've got problems. I come from a family where my grandmother would run through the entire list of grandchildren and house pets before getting to the right one. I really can't take that stuff seriously.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Yes. My relationships came right after each other - and in the beginning - there was always a bit of wrong name calling by me. Not more than a couple times, I think. It was embarrassing but somewhat understandable - and the guy's never really seem to care much. It doesn't happen anymore - I think that would be pretty bad after being with my husband for 11 years!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I did it once, 24 years ago, at dinner with my then-fiance. I called him the name of the guy I had dated previously while we were on a break.

I will say that whether or not it's bad depends on the significance of the person behind the name.
Wow still not happy about it? Tell him to stop being a girl about it

Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Wrong name.... ??

That's why your Grand Mother called all the grand kids Sugar, Baby or Honey. It works with the people you date also. I never screw those names up.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
LOL...I've never done that but I would have played it off like, "I called you the wrong name just like you're wrong about (insert topic here)" lol

So, umm, when's the next date?
Haha. He can't quit me. I should just start calling him random names to make it look intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin4us View Post
My wife called me by her ex's name once in casual conversation and I knew she was mortified by it so I just said something funny like "am I that bad?" and chuckled...then she laughed and we both LOL'd together. It was an honest miskate so no sense making her feel bad by it.
Yeah, when it dawned on me what I'd done, I felt bad. I think it was worse for me than for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

The name that I used was that of someone that I often have a contentious relationship with, so I think I just said it because I'm used to arguing with that person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships