Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,591 times

Advertisements

People ask for relationship advice all the time, but do they ever actually take it?

I went through a long period where I stopped discussing relationship issues with people I knew altogether. Talking just didn't seem to make any difference in their behavior. They would vow not to take back to that woman who lied to them, not to move back in with that man who beat them, to quit chasing that man or woman who clearly wasn't interested in them. But in the end, they always ended up doing exactly what they knew they shouldn't, exactly what they said they wouldn't, do. It got so frustrating, I finally gave up.

What have other people found?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 06:12 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
Very few. I think most are more interested in talking about themselves.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,042,801 times
I know that brahmabull seems to take a lot away from this forum and apply it to his life.

As for me personally? I'm the type that might get initially annoyed if a friend tells me their (negative) opinion of my boyfriend/dating choices but then I'll go think about what they said and usually realize they're right and take their advice.
I sometimes think that my friends know me better than I know myself and have better judgment about guys that would be right for me than I do for myself.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,990,050 times
I never talk about myself, but if someone points something out to me that's truly negative, I will reflect on the conversation and try to fix it if I see it as a legit issue.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,735 times
We could tell you, but you wouldn't listen.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,456 times
It's not prudent to--especially off of an internet forum.

context is hard to determine.

forums such as these should be used strictly for entertainment.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
People ask for relationship advice all the time, but do they ever actually take it?

I went through a long period where I stopped discussing relationship issues with people I knew altogether. Talking just didn't seem to make any difference in their behavior. They would vow not to take back to that woman who lied to them, not to move back in with that man who beat them, to quit chasing that man or woman who clearly wasn't interested in them. But in the end, they always ended up doing exactly what they knew they shouldn't, exactly what they said they wouldn't, do. It got so frustrating, I finally gave up.

What have other people found?
Outside of this board, I tend to help people come to their own decisions and views. Basically, I empathize and then ask them if they think it would be helpful if they tried this or that. If they say yes, great. If they say no, I ask them if they have another idea. But 99 times out of 100, it's just me helping them get where they're going.

As for inside this board, I've found that most of the people who regularly ask for advice fall into this category:

If someone is new or from another part of C-D and asks a question, that's one thing, but there are a few people here who either aren't truly interested in solving a problem and only want to commiserate or vent, or are just plain really stupid, sometimes both.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times
Ever heard of verbal masturbation? Welcome, welcome, one and all.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:51 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,064,746 times
I don't ask for advice on here (you people are brutal! lol) but in real life I have discussed issues with friends and taken their advice.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,042,801 times
I'd ask for advice on here if it were a legitimate issue not "I can't attract guys" "Should I call him?" "Does he like me" type of stuff...

I find that threads that ask questions outside of the "usual" whining and complaining generally get good responses/incite decent conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships