Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Happens all the time. Some "hot" women hate being approached just because they're hot, and they don't like the guys who approach them just because they're hot. The beta guys are more "real" in a way--not showy, not stuck on themselves, down-to-earth, and nice guys, good guys, devoted guys. What's not to like? Life isn't about complicated formulas about relative "worth".
Exactly. Back when I was younger (and even now to some extent though not as much)I had guys approach me only because they thought I was hot. I hated it because they couldn't care less about anything else. With Taco man I think he thinks I am attractive but also likes me as I am. That is so much more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
Do you ladies like guys with a lot of friends, guys with a lot of charisma and energy, guys that are well-traveled and well-rounded, guys that are charming and fun?

That's the kind of stuff I took away from PUA. It taught me how to do and be all of those things consistently and on purpose.

Really? Because this isn't common sense? You can't figure out that most men and women both like well adjusted and interesting people who can maintain social connections? You need a perspective that takes something basically true and puts bizarre, nonsensical methodology and ranking behind it (Wear a weird hat! People will think your interesting. Tell a girl she's not all that in a backhanded way! She will think she has something to prove and be more into you. Figure out who is the alpha and test yourself by going after her! Etc. Ad nauseum) and then sells it to people who are so lost they will pay to hear it in a seminar or buy it in a book?

I am all about building confidence. But honestly, I think the gentlemen who believe this stuff are being played, scammed and crapped on. Sorry guys.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I don't know how I stumbled onto one of the many many threads started by what seems like insecure 20somethings who think that they will get more women by quantitizing their "worth" but let me put this to you:

Friend of mine (I am a gay man, she is a straight woman) is absolutely gorgeous. Used to model for pinup stuff, now very successful in a creative field. Looks a lot like Gwen Stefani but with green eyes and a better bod. Anyhow, this woman is getting married to a guy with the following attributes:

-shorter than she is
-makes an average wage
-average looking (not unattractive but I don't want to do him)
-drives a crappy car
-not overconfident, not a player, not got any game
-smart, quiet
-I am betting average in just about every way physically.

Honestly, she gets swarmed by men with lots of money, lots of game. hot men, successful men, etc. This is the man she chose--someone you would call a beta. She met him at work, and they get along famously and have been together for three years. She has not even *looked* at any of the offers dangled in front of her.

So how do you explain this? She isn't needy, greedy, burdened with baggage, old, dumb, or broken in any way. By your theories, this should not happen. And yet it has.

the PUA stuff i've read says that what matters is your body language or your personality, and that it doesn't matter much what kind of car you drive, or how much money you make.

so you really have the whole thing backwards, tbh, but you can take solace that your views are in line with what the average person thinks of PUA.

Last edited by le roi; 12-11-2012 at 08:03 AM..

Old 12-11-2012, 01:43 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the PUA stuff i've read says that what matters is your body language or your personality, and that it doesn't matter much what kind of car you drive, or how much money you make.

so you really have the whole thing backwards, tbh, but you can take solace that your views are in line with what the average person thinks of PUA.

Uh, I doubt the guy in the original post tried any of these if they met at work (see below from a helpful PUA site found at random through a cursory google search.) Seems like some on here have taken this to heart with the magic tricks. But its great for comedic value. I have actually been the victim of someone who was trying to get me to touch his boa. I really try never to laugh at people who approach me, but I had to run to the bathroom because I was almost crying I was laughing so hard. And no, it doesn't work for anything but comic relief.

3. Gimmicky Openers

Unlike the above openers, this technique makes you stand out from all of the other guys and it immediately gets the woman’s attention. Gimmicky openers typically involve outside sources, such as magic or props, to open up the conversation.

One thing you could do is to wear an article of clothing that captures a woman’s attention. If you are wearing a boa or interesting hat, for example, it should not be too long until she approaches you. The next thing you know, she will be close to you, touching the item. Alternatively, you could master a magic trick and try that out. This could lead to intrigue

Old 12-11-2012, 01:56 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times
^^ This. Do people believe this works?

To be blunt, this is a lot like the behavior of the queens I know in the drag community. Dramatic, silly, overconfident and false. Granted now, that appeals to a subset of gay men, typically those who like to create some kind of persona that they think others will find more fabulous than the real them. I get why that happens. And really, I don't fault a 25 year old guy with a confidence problem for trying this. If nothing is working, this may provide a ray of hope, albeit a short lived one.

My original malfunction with this whole philsophy is that people actually pay money to hear this advice and then create a whole image based on bad guidance. They start to stick everyone into some strange little ranking system and judge their progress based on what rank they attain or who they get to buy off their pickup method. All because they want to get laid a lot. Speaking as a gay man who is very familiar with how shallow and non commital men can be, its not a recipe for success.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Really? Because this isn't common sense? You can't figure out that most men and women both like well adjusted and interesting people who can maintain social connections? You need a perspective that takes something basically true and puts bizarre, nonsensical methodology and ranking behind it (Wear a weird hat! People will think your interesting. Tell a girl she's not all that in a backhanded way! She will think she has something to prove and be more into you. Figure out who is the alpha and test yourself by going after her! Etc. Ad nauseum) and then sells it to people who are so lost they will pay to hear it in a seminar or buy it in a book?

I am all about building confidence. But honestly, I think the gentlemen who believe this stuff are being played, scammed and crapped on. Sorry guys.
It's not common sense to everyone. In fact, it's not common sense to the vast majority of people out there (see the responses on this board for more details).

It certainly wasn't common sense when I was a 20 year old kid that was promised I could get any girl I wanted.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

+1

Absolutely correct

Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
It's not common sense to everyone. In fact, it's not common sense to the vast majority of people out there (see the responses on this board for more details).

It certainly wasn't common sense when I was a 20 year old kid that was promised I could get any girl I wanted.

So, can you? Has this method proved to be foolproof in your own personal life? ANY girl? Even if she is married or involved and you want her? Even if she is older/younger (don't know your age), richer, smarter, more successful, healthier, more attractive, more mature, more witty, more entertaining? Even if she is gay? ANYONE?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:16 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Uh, I doubt the guy in the original post tried any of these if they met at work (see below from a helpful PUA site found at random through a cursory google search.)
I wouldn't exactly describe that site as helpful.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:20 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
So, can you? Has this method proved to be foolproof in your own personal life? ANY girl? Even if she is married or involved and you want her? Even if she is older/younger (don't know your age), richer, smarter, more successful, healthier, more attractive, more mature, more witty, more entertaining? Even if she is gay? ANYONE?

Is English your first language? Because you completely misinterpreted what he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships