Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 54,404 times

Advertisements

I have been with my boyfriend for over five years. We have had ups and downs, but overall I believe that we have a healthy relationship. He is good looking, works out, and takes care of me.

I have been at my current job for almost five years. I have always had a crush on one of my coworkers. I feel like it is more than a crush now. I think I might be in love with him. I look forward to going to work and seeing him. I miss him when he is out of the office. I hate weekends, because I will not be able to see him. He is the one person I think about before falling a sleep and also when I wake up in the morning. Crazy! I know! I have been hiding it to the best of my abilities. I do not want it to affect our professional relationship. Lately, we have been working on a lot of projects together and that has intensified my feelings. This is weird, but I will get “wet” just by talking with him. I try very hard to dress professionally, buttoned shirt, pants, jacket without any skin showing just to avoid all of this drama. I have realized that he likes me too. He is also trying to keep it professional, but I can see it in his behavior toward me and in his eyes. He will look deep into my eyes when we are talking about something. He has asked me some personal questions in a “what-if” scenario. I have always answered them indirectly. Finally, he has asked me for dinner last night. I politely rejected, but deep down wanted to go. Today, he has mentioned it again. I said no, because I had plans. I really did. I got home and found out that my boyfriend will be out of town that day, so I contacted my coworker and told him that I can go to the dinner.

I don’t know what to do. I reallllllyyyy want him, but I love my boyfriend. I don’t want to hurt him and I don’t want to kill the professional relationship with my coworker either. This whole time I was thinking that it was a crush, but it has been many years and I should have been over him by now - not intensified!
My plan is to go to the dinner and address the issue. I don’t know how to approach it, but I think it would be best for us to stay friends/coworkers and not to get into something we will both regret down the road.

Has anyone had something similar and how did you handle it? What do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,156 times
You should have said no.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 54,404 times
That is what I am thinking… How do I cancel?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
If you truly love your boyfriend, AND if you know he would be bothered by what you have written here and maybe especially by your going out to dinner with this other man while your boyfriend is out of town ... well, just CANCEL. Tell him you can't make it. How hard is that?!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
If you truly love your boyfriend and your relationship is really healthy - you wouldn't have these feelings for someone else.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If you truly love your boyfriend and your relationship is really healthy - you wouldn't have these feelings for someone else.
Exactly. In fact, a crush like this was how I knew my marriage was over.

And no, I did not cheat. Nor should you, OP. Do the honorable thing and either end your relationship or remove yourself from the temptation.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Exactly. In fact, a crush like this was how I knew my marriage was over.

And no, I did not cheat. Nor should you, OP. Do the honorable thing and either end your relationship or remove yourself from the temptation.
Yeah - a crush like this is how I knew I had to call off my wedding. And I did. And I ended up marrying my "crush." And now I don't have any more crushes like that because I truly do love my husband and I truly am happy with him!

Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,578,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yeah - a crush like this is how I knew I had to call off my wedding. And I did. And I ended up marrying my "crush." And now I don't have any more crushes like that because I truly do love my husband and I truly am happy with him!
Hope the poor chap is doing alright.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,578,467 times
By that I mean the guy you left at the alter. I'm not saying you shouldn't do what's right for you, but he deserves some consideration as well. If you were selfishly seeking marriage with him because you wanted the title and then up and left him for what you really want then that is pretty ****ty. If he somehow screwed you over and I don't know about it then I apologize.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:55 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
This is a tough situation. My first thought is that there must be something missing from the relationship you are now in to be having such strong and increasing feelings for this co-worker. Of course your boyfriend is going to be VERY upset if he ever found out you went out to eat with this man while he was away. I believe in following your heat, but you admit you have a good relationship with your boyfriend of 5 years. Sometimes the grass is not always greener. What does your gut and heart tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships