Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,045,993 times

Advertisements

I think everyone needs to just chill out for a minute.

That being said, going through this thread - I get hints that there are a lot of people that married/want to marry to validate themselves. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 04:57 PM

11,812 posts, read 12,062,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
I absolutely agree with this. I am fine with people deciding to marry or deciding not to marry. I'm pro-happiness, in whatever form that may be, as long as they aren't hurting someone! I also believe that someone who doesn't want to marry should not string a marriage minded person along. If they shared their intentions upfront, it's the other person's fault for hanging around.

What I don't like are thinly veiled insults or false assumptions people make toward the side they disagree with.
Very true. IMO, the people who have to insult the others, are those that are not secure with their choices or position and have to put other people down to make themselves feel better about the path they've chosen.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM

662 posts, read 1,261,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
I did this for a couple of years and come to find out around the two year mark she got mad over some silly little thing and went into "the silent treatment" on me for a good four days.
Needless to say that was it for me,I grew up watching my father pull that crap.
I meant to add to this post number 48 I was happy living with her but she kept bringing up marriage and I kept replying that it wasn't for me.Trying to be upfront and honest.
She had two adult children from her first marriage 20 and 22 and I had been married for 12 years and it was fun and all just something I didn't wish to repeat.I think her friends realized I was serious and convinced her to find someone else.She's been on POF a long time now.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,751,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
I think everyone needs to just chill out for a minute.

That being said, going through this thread - I get hints that there are a lot of people that married/want to marry to validate themselves. Just a thought.
Along with the same tired comments that married people are pretty much all miserable and trapped.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 AM

837 posts, read 1,288,753 times
Living together but maintaining your own house. It causes fewer problems in the inevitable separation.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,751,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
Living together but maintaining your own house. It causes fewer problems in the inevitable separation.
How do you live together but maintain separate houses ... a duplex? It doesn't make financial sense to have two sets of dishes, because the more extra stuff you have, the more it costs to keep it somewhere. If you mean that we have an arrangement where I bring the dishes and you bring the silverware, and if we split up we take our stuff--that's fine. Over time, though, couples will jointly acquire things. If I have to replace the dishes because you broke several of them, that's when things get messy anyway.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
How do you live together but maintain separate houses ... a duplex? It doesn't make financial sense to have two sets of dishes, because the more extra stuff you have, the more it costs to keep it somewhere. If you mean that we have an arrangement where I bring the dishes and you bring the silverware, and if we split up we take our stuff--that's fine. Over time, though, couples will jointly acquire things. If I have to replace the dishes because you broke several of them, that's when things get messy anyway.
Either buy a house together while maintaining your own separate houses (the worst option and the more expensive one) or decide in which house to live while keeping your own place as well. You can always rent it.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,210,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Today a relative said something to me that rubbed me the wrong way. Basically just because a man may not want to marry he might want to live together. While I know people who live together this isn't something I am open to at my age UNLESS we are engaged with a set wedding date. I have seen far too many people live together for years and eventually break up because one of them (usually the woman but not always)thought they would eventually get married. In this respect I'd rather just date then get married versus anything else. I am not interested in living with a guy nor am I interested in long term dating. For me personally I would give up so much as I'd be kicked out of the church choir and being a religious ed teacher. Living together has a lot of negative aspects to it including the fact you aren't legally a family.

So you know what you want. What is the problem?

Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 PM

318 posts, read 506,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
...so negative you guys can be! why is it inevitable?

Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSyddy View Post
...so negative you guys can be! why is it inevitable?
Statistics are about reality, it has nothing to do with negative or positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships