Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 AM

132 posts, read 315,302 times

Advertisements

So many of the married people I know really don't know each other. They talk to each other but don't really talk. Their conversation is more chit chat or small talk than anything. Of course I don't know what is going on behind closed doors but I can tell they don't really know each other by observing them and asking one of the couple questions about each other.

Do you really know your spouse? Do you know about their hopes and dreams, their history, stories about their growing up, their career challenges and friends and relatives?

Can you have a great marriage if most of your conversation is small talk chit chat and you really don't know each other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 09:16 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,746 times
It seems like you have a biased sample.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I dunno - my married friends all seem to know each other like the backs of their own hands. They all seem to have pretty good marriages. I was more freaked out by a SAHM I recently met. She was on her first solo day-outing away from her children in a year. And her husband was back at home, alone with the kids for the first time in that moment. He was playing video games because his mother was there to keep an eye on the kids. It was just saddening.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
You are right, you don't really know what goes on behind closed doors so it's almost impossible to know whether or not a couple really know eachother.

If you saw my husband and I out together, you wouldn't even think we were married. I've actually had people ask me if it was my weekend with the kids while at one of my kids sporting events. We typically don't stand next to eachother and don't really interact that much.

I'm sure he doesn't know my clothing/shoe sizes, my favorite color, what my favorite meal or restaurant is or any of those little things.

He does know me well enough to know EXACTLY how I'll react to something. He can predict my every move sometimes and often completes my sentences.

We don't really talk in a public setting. We do our best talking in bed at night before we go to sleep or in the morning when we wake up. If something has been on my mind I want his undivided attention and that's the place I usually get that. Same goes for him. Nobody is privvy to our private lives except for a close friend or two, and even then I don't tell them everything. What you see on the outside is not always indicative of what happens behind closed doors.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:08 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
We know more about each other than we need to.

And we ain't gonna be sharin' much of it with y'all.....

Not that y'all wanna hear it anyway........

Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHomeSeller View Post
Of course I don't know what is going on behind closed doors but I can tell they don't really know each other by observing them and asking one of the couple questions about each other.
Can you give an example of the types of questions you ask them? Does that not come across as a little strange to others?

Quote:
Do you really know your spouse? Do you know about their hopes and dreams, their history, stories about their growing up, their career challenges and friends and relatives?
Do you? Aren't you married? I find it curious that you do not reference your own marital experiences in the thread you started.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Do you? Aren't you married? I find it curious that you do not reference your own marital experiences in the thread you started.
He's the guy that didn't want to sleep on the floor at his wife's parents house over Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships