Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,200,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Your gampy had it wrong.
Pick one up you can carry yourself, but when you find someone who can help you carry it, it will be like you have no load to bear at all.
You assume much that the other (so-called helper) will never waver and never fail.

Practically (not all) the whole relationships forum is threads about failure.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
You assume much that the other (so-called helper) will never waver and never fail.
The point is that it doesn't matter if they do.
You can handle the load yourself. They just uplift you.

You don't choose a partner trying to make two halves complete a whole.
You choose another WHOLE to make something greater than the sum of its parts.

Human beings will always fail. It's part of being a human being. It's how they fail and how committed they are to the struggle that matters.
No one is perfect. But when someone truly binds themselves to you and has your back no matter what, you let them fall and help pick them back up.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
The point is that it doesn't matter if they do.
You can handle the load yourself. They just uplift you.

You don't choose a partner trying to make two halves complete a whole.
You choose another WHOLE to make something greater than the sum of its parts.

Human beings will always fail. It's part of being a human being. It's how they fail and how committed they are to the struggle that matters.
No one is perfect. But when someone truly binds themselves to you and has your back no matter what, you let them fall and help pick them back up.
So by your analogy I should trust them (cough-cough) to not to drop that rock on me.

Tell them that when they file for divorce and "take you" to the cleaners just because.

If everyone was "GODLY" then I'd buy that, but the reality says much differently.

Respond the same for most of the threads in this section of the forum which is about failure and people who really got hurt without remorse from the ones who initiated it, see how far that gets you.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
So by your analogy I should trust them (cough-cough) to not to drop that rock on me.

Tell them that when they file for divorce and "take you" to the cleaners just because.
You're missing my point.
They can't drop the rock on you.
You would just go back to carrying the rock you could always manage by yourself.

If you're so worried about being taken to the cleaners, get a prenup.
Or figure out a way not to marry a greedy skank.
There are actually people out there who have enough pride and dignity that they wouldn't touch your money with a 10 foot pole if you split up. I wouldn't, I know my wife wouldn't, and my ex wouldn't, either. She didn't want a damn thing from me after we split up after 7 years. We just divvied up our stuff, I got the dog (because I loved her more and had a stable household - she traveled a lot), and we were done.

By the way, my ex (who was one of the most honest and noble people I ever met) is an atheist. Godliness has nothing to do with morals, character, and dignity.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
+10. And remember this Forum is over-representated by people of both genders who despise the opposite sex because they have constantly been:

1. Ignored their whole lives by the opposite sex
2. Chosen the WRONG people and been cheated upon, abused, etc.

The vast majority of people I know love the opposite sex because they weren't dumb enough or needy enough to endlessly pick losers and then blame them. Look inward.
You left out

3. Conducted their personal lives like total idiots.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
You're missing my point.
They can't drop the rock on you.
You would just go back to carrying the rock you could always manage by yourself.

If you're so worried about being taken to the cleaners, get a prenup.
Or figure out a way not to marry a greedy skank.
There are actually people out there who have enough pride and dignity that they wouldn't touch your money with a 10 foot pole if you split up. I wouldn't, I know my wife wouldn't, and my ex wouldn't, either. She didn't want a damn thing from me after we split up after 7 years. We just divvied up our stuff, I got the dog (because I loved her more and had a stable household - she traveled a lot), and we were done.

By the way, my ex (who was one of the most honest and noble people I ever met) is an atheist. Godliness has nothing to do with morals, character, and dignity.
Place your bets, place your bets. Winner gets a desk job for life.

Many prenups are thrown out by the judge.

Many want to hit their former partner where it hurts even if they did nothing wrong.

Sure there's a percentage of good people, but with the actors/actresses out there I'm not about to bet on not a sure thing.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Place your bets, place your bets. Winner gets a desk job for life.

Many prenups are thrown out by the judge.

Many want to hit their former partner where it hurts even if they did nothing wrong.

Sure there's a percentage of good people, but with the actors/actresses out there I'm not about to bet on not a sure thing.
You ever get in an airplane?
How about in a car?
You ever eat sushi?
Been SCUBA diving?

There are all sorts of calculated risks in life that we take because the reward can be huge.
The good times I had with my ex are worth any amount of nonsense we could have gone through at the end.
We had some really wonderful times that will live in my heart forever. Some things are priceless.
Instead of breeding bitterness, why don't you just learn to be a better judge of character? Oh, and it also helps to be a kind and thoughtful partner.
It brings out the best in other people.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
You ever get in an airplane?
How about in a car?
You ever eat sushi?
Been SCUBA diving?

There are all sorts of calculated risks in life that we take because the reward can be huge.
I'll take those calculated risks, not the ones that potentially could inflict pain everyday because of some judges decision.

Sadly most marriages today from the view of me a man is a lousy business deal.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Sadly most marriages today from the view of me a man is a lousy business deal.
That's because you're looking at it as a business deal.

LOL...and my fortune (which is already considerable) has only been augmented by having a thoughtful, intelligent, pragmatic, and practical partner. In fact, my wife is an EXCELLENT business partner - it helps that she is in finance.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
That's because you're looking at it as a business deal.

LOL...and my fortune (which is already considerable) has only been augmented by having a thoughtful, intelligent, pragmatic, and practical partner. In fact, my wife is an EXCELLENT business partner - it helps that she is in finance.
Bless you and yours marriage , because it's not as rosy or not rosy at all for very many out there.

And yes when one signs the marriage contract it becomes a business deal with the state if one likes it or not and enforced if/when divorce comes their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.