Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
She would have gained about 6 pounds a month average. That doesn't sound extreme if the person is overeating. I know someone who gained about 100 in a month (they went to a doctor) and it was not medical related, just emotional eating.
What? 100 in a month? I didn't think that was possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 10:53 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky2Sharks View Post
Yeah, could be. So should I support her from a distance?
Follow your intuition as how best to help (you do know her). Getting too closely involved may cost you a friend and any influence you have on her, IMO. Maybe give encouragement and support, but suggest that specifics are beyond your ability, and she may benefit from nutrition and medical consults. If nothing works, remind her that doing nothing may cost her a good relationship with a guy who obviously cares about her.

I'm no expert in these matters, but it seems like a common sense approach.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:56 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky2Sharks View Post
Your right. It's their relationship. But I'm concerned for her too you know?

I know he is genuinely worried for her.

Yea, yea, you're concerned. All you can do is ask her what's going on and leave it at that if she's not interested. Once again, you cannot dictate what foods someone else is putting into their mouth. You can't even control whether she goes to the doctor about it. Either way it usually starts off with such 'grave concern,' but turns into men discussing how much they hate fat women. (Not saying you're intentionally doing that, but that's usually where it ends up anyways).

Old 02-09-2013, 10:59 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
obesity is not a disease, it is a an effect.

When people stop making excuses and treat their problems, (depression, laziness) it will be solved.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 PM

177 posts, read 303,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Yea, yea, you're concerned. All you can do is ask her what's going on and leave it at that if she's not interested. Once again, you cannot dictate what foods someone else is putting into their mouth. You can't even control whether she goes to the doctor about it. Either way it usually starts off with such 'grave concern,' but turns into men discussing how much they hate fat women. (Not saying you're intentionally doing that, but that's usually where it ends up anyways).
I get what your saying. I really don't want one of those threads..

Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I think she should also get mental health counseling. I think there is another issue here that brought on the overeating. Eating can be very comforting and if someone is depressed/bored/whatever, food is readily available to fill the void.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:03 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Follow your intuition as how best to help (you do know her). Getting too closely involved may cost you a friend and any influence you have on her, IMO. Maybe give encouragement and support, but suggest that specifics are beyond your ability, and she may benefit from nutrition and medical consults. If nothing works, remind her that doing nothing may cost her a good relationship with a guy who obviously cares about her.

I'm no expert in these matters, but it seems like a common sense approach.
The problem with all this is that Gigi hasn't asked her for this advice. Not many people want unsolicited advice. And when that advice is to tell someone what is wrong with their physical appearance and how you can help them fix it, you are just asking for trouble. The best approach is to let Gigi live her life the way she wants. If she decides that she doesn't like her weight gain and goes to the OP to find out what gym she goes to and asks if they can work out together, working out together would be the support that she needs. Until Gigi actually has health problems, if she ever does, her weight is not an issue for her. If it is an issue, clearly she's not ready to deal with it.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
obesity is not a disease, it is a an effect.

When people stop making excuses and treat their problems, (depression, laziness) it will be solved.

that's what you think and spoken like someone who's likely never dealt with nor treated depression. IF you have you would know that it's not a 'take a pill and everything is fine' disease also many of those depression meds cause obesity/weight gain.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:12 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
You told her "the weight is a problem "? What exactly did you tell her?

Personally, I don't think it was your business to approach her, but it also sounds like you took the wrong approach. I hope you realize she's dealing with physical and psychological effects of being overweight. You can't just tell her she's fat and expect her to have some life changing epiphany. She KNOWS she's big already.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:13 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
that's what you think and spoken like someone who's likely never dealt with nor treated depression. IF you have you would know that it's not a 'take a pill and everything is fine' disease also many of those depression meds cause obesity/weight gain.
Not to mention, depression meds or any type of such medicine can be habit forming and open up a whole new set of problems. It's serious business.

I'm not excusing obesity but in this case, the overeating and not-give-a-damn attitude is probably due to something going on in her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships