Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I'm talking about career women that do not want to do traditional roles.

The longest and most healthy marriages are when both parties have traditional roles. The more society go against traditional roles that have worked for hundreds of years the more the marriage tate will continue to decrease

Generally
I thought that women who want to stay at home after marriage are considered gold-diggers on this forum. ....?

What is a "tate"?

Whom have those traditional roles worked for? They didn't work for women who were shackled to violent men. Why not just relax, and let everyone do what works best for them? Want to go traditional? Great! Want to have a dual-income household! Go for it! Why are people threatened by choice and diversity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
I'm for traditional role marriages and I'm for prenups.
Well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Are you married?

Are you a woman?

If not you're simply stirring the pot in a thread about married women.

Because frankly no-one gives a crap whether you like traditional marriages or not.
And I'll add that most women interested in a traditional role marriage would not be okay with a prenup.

And if you have no wife - then you have no chores to split.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,469,322 times
Quote:
Ask anybody over 75 years old. Compare the marriage rate before and after the feminist movement. Traditional marriages have always worked especially with my grandmothers generation.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

I don't know what you are doing in here besides having a full blown tantrum. You are so far removed from the reality of modern weddings, you had ZERO idea that they were paid for by the brides family.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I thought that women who want to stay at home after marriage are considered gold-diggers on this forum. ....?

What is a "tate"?

Whom have those traditional roles worked for? They didn't work for women who were shackled to violent men. Why not just relax, and let everyone do what works best for them? Want to go traditional? Great! Want to have a dual-income household! Go for it! Why are people threatened by choice and diversity?
I ment rate. I'm typing on my phone

Violent men story is a myth. If those women told the men in their family they were getting beat I'm sure her male family members or the police would have fixed that problem quickly. Let's not change the subject. The new generation of marriages isn't working. Look at the.marriage rate last year verses is 1930. Compare the marriage rate and compare the roles men and women had. Nobody is threaten. All I'm saying is that the marriage rate today is at an all time low.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Speak for yourself. My husband didn't sign up for some housebitch, he liked the fact I was an independent woman. I have to say some of you men don't bring much to the table
So many of men here don't bring anything to the table but then they have the audacity to say women who refuse to be their doormat bring nothing.

My opinion of this is if one person is working and the other is not then the person not working does the majority of the chores. Sadly this isn't the case and I have seen where the breadwinner came home and cooked and cleaned. In cases where both work I believe in splitting chores depending on what people like and can do. Years ago I lived with a man who loved cooking and cleaning and worked and he did most of the chores because he enjoyed them and wanted them done a certain way.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Ask anybody over 75 years old. Compare the marriage rate before and after the feminist movement. Traditional marriages have always worked especially with my grandmothers generation.
Traditional marriage didn't really work for my grandparents. They lived separate lives, only sharing a house and meals. Separate bedrooms, separate lives. That actually wasn't so unusual for that generation and earlier ones. If marriage back then were so successful, the Temperance Movement never would have got off the ground. It was created as an attempt to save the lives of women who were getting beaten to a pulp or killed by alcoholic husbands in the days of no divorce. History doesn't agree with your rose-colored view. You could learn a lot by studying history.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
What does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

I don't know what you are doing in here besides having a full blown tantrum. You are so far removed from the reality of modern weddings, you had ZERO idea that they were paid for by the brides family.
This is traditional but not really true anymore. Most weddings I know were paid for by the couples with the parents of both helping depending on money.

Ironically my parents have a wedding savings set up for me but it's looking more and more like it'll be a retirement fund.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Traditional marriage didn't really work for my grandparents. They lived separate lives, only sharing a house and meals. Separate bedrooms, separate lives. That actually wasn't so unusual for that generation and earlier ones. If marriage back then were so successful, the Temperance Movement never would have got off the ground. It was created as an attempt to save the lives of women who were getting beaten to a pulp or killed by alcoholic husbands in the days of no divorce. History doesn't agree with your rose-colored view. You could learn a lot by studying history.
I've spoken to a few women who were original members of the feminist movement in the 1960's and they paint a picture like this. One of the women was telling me how before feminism she was trapped being a housewife for a man who was abusive and cheated,. When I hear people (mostly men but some women)talking about the feminist movement and how it destroyed things I think of this woman. Not to say I am thrilled with everything the feminist movement did but do like the idea that if gave women a chance to escape abusive situations.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well...

And I'll add that most women interested in a traditional role marriage would not be okay with a prenup.

And if you have no wife - then you have no chores to split.
I agree.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I ment rate. I'm typing on my phone

Violent men story is a myth. If those women told the men in their family they were getting beat I'm sure her male family members or the police would have fixed that problem quickly. Let's not change the subject. The new generation of marriages isn't working. Look at the.marriage rate last year verses is 1930. Compare the marriage rate and compare the roles men and women had. Nobody is threaten. All I'm saying is that the marriage rate today is at an all time low.
I have spoken to abused women and they were told to just accept it. There were no battered women's shelters and many families were more ashamed of her wanting to leave than being abused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships