Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,190,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
So many of men here don't bring anything to the table but then they have the audacity to say women who refuse to be their doormat bring nothing.

My opinion of this is if one person is working and the other is not then the person not working does the majority of the chores. Sadly this isn't the case and I have seen where the breadwinner came home and cooked and cleaned. In cases where both work I believe in splitting chores depending on what people like and can do. Years ago I lived with a man who loved cooking and cleaning and worked and he did most of the chores because he enjoyed them and wanted them done a certain way.
If I waited for my husband to come home and cook dinner - I'd never eat! He usually gets home from work between 11:30pm and a little after midnight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,027,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Traditional marriage didn't really work for my grandparents. They lived separate lives, only sharing a house and meals. Separate bedrooms, separate lives. That actually wasn't so unusual for that generation and earlier ones. If marriage back then were so successful, the Temperance Movement never would have got off the ground. It was created as an attempt to save the lives of women who were getting beaten to a pulp or killed by alcoholic husbands in the days of no divorce. History doesn't agree with your rose-colored view. You could learn a lot by studying history.
I know what was claimed In history but I do not believe everything that people say. I know if I was a women getting beat by my husband all I would have to do is call my dad or uncle and that problem would have been solved immediately. If I was a lady back then and went home to visit my family with a black eye that problem would have been solved in 30 mins.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,190,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I know what was claimed In history but I do not believe everything that people say. I know if I was a women getting beat by my husband all I would have to do is call my dad or uncle and that problem would have been solved immediately. If I was a lady back then and went home to visit my family with a black eye that problem would have been solved in 30 mins.
Yes, and the Holocaust was a hoax.

You aren't married - you have no chores to split - why are you still commenting on this thread?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,902,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If I waited for my husband to come home and cook dinner - I'd never eat! He usually gets home from work between 11:30pm and a little after midnight!
I couldn't wait that long either and likely if say I was working until 5pm and he was working longer I would definitely come home and fix dinner. Of course for me this is all speculative of course.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,027,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I have spoken to abused women and they were told to just accept it. There were no battered women's shelters and many families were more ashamed of her wanting to leave than being abused.
Well that's the decision they made. More power to them if they want to stay in an abusive marriage. That would have never happened in my family. Imagine me.telling.my.daughter just to deal.with it

Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Well that's the decision they made. More power to them if they want to stay in an abusive marriage. That would have never happened in my family. Imagine me.telling.my.daughter just to deal.with it
Did you understand her post? She said the women had no options (no shelters, etc.) and were told to just put up with it. And from that, you got that "they want to stay in an abusive marriage"?!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
I know what was claimed In history but I do not believe everything that people say.
How convenient for you.

And btw, historians don't just make up the stuff in the history books. It's not just something "people say". They dig through archives and document everything.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,902,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did you understand her post? She said the women had no options (no shelters, etc.) and were told to just put up with it. And from that, you got that "they want to stay in an abusive marriage"?!
To him, apparently abuse never happened and it's sad. What he doesn't know is of course back then women didn't have many choices. Many had never worked (or worked in years), there were no shelters and abuse was considered a "family issue" and often less ostracized than divorce. Many men considered women their property to use as they seem fit.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,462,598 times
im not a lady but can say its never really a thought in our household "who does what" if it needs to be done we just do it regardless of keeping score card

im going to cook a meal with or without her
im going to clean with or without her
im going to take care of the animals with or without her
etc etc etc...

"score keeping" only happens when there is reason to be. aka: people not doing ANYTHING in the relationship to the point its become a much bigger issue then whos doing what

Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 PM

37,651 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Ladies if you don't want to do chores just stay at your place and don't move in with us. Be happy paying 100% of your bills for the rest of your life. You cook and clean at your place and we will do the same at our place. If guys really want a traditional wife look at marrying international women in general. You can't have it all unless you are rich. You need to weight the pros and cons of your decision of your role when you decide that you want to get married
Sounds perfect! I have no desire to clean my BF's house, and he has no desire to work on mine. We are quite happy living apart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships