Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:11 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,904 times

Advertisements

When I was at a party, someone said their ex unfriended them on Facebook. Someone else chimed in and said "keep your enemies close". I didn't think much of it until I had unfriended my ex and he added me back. So I tried to be frendly but he didn't seem too responsive. He eventually wrote me back, but it was after a few days. By that time, I wasn't sure of his intentions and decided not to speak to him again but left him on my list. Why does it matter if you're Facebook friends with your ex if you're not really going to talk to them? I felt a little guilty for not responding to his message and text because I think he's being civil, but I came to the conclusion that he doesn't really care about me so if I never speak to him again, it doesn't really matter. My friend thinks he wants to keep me close just as a backup. I actually don't think so, but maybe he's just one of those people who like to have a lot of people around without really getting to know them. Because I don't really think I know him all that well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 10:12 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
No indeed. I've always moved along pretty quickly from exes and they can't take it.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:16 PM

837 posts, read 961,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Because I don't really think I know him all that well.
You could always keep him added but set your privacy settings so he pretty much can just see your basics (but no wall updates or photos).

It sounds like you're over him and that you two weren't interested enough to get to know each other on a serious level. If he doesn't know you well enough to want to keep in contact with you for genuine reasons, he's probably just keeping tabs on your personal life or putting you aside as back up for when he gets turned down.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
I keep in contact with two of my exes. One I do not. One of my exes that I keep in contact with is my go-to girl to talk to about anything I have going on in my life, and I'm the same for her.

It's not always bad to keep in contact with an ex.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:57 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,671 times
No.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
I still talk to my ex everyday. It is painful to call him my ex. He is still on chemotherapy and I feel very guilty that I am no longer in his life. To me, we are still boyfriend and girlfriend. I tried dating, a lot of men actually, but nobody make me feel the way he does.

I keep on telling myself that ex is an ex for a reason, but I am not so sure if I really believe it. I am still madly in love with him, I think I will always love him. We are talking about getting back together everyday, and I honestly believe we will.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:09 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,006,797 times
No. I keep them exes and out of my life.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 PM

287 posts, read 237,403 times
I noticed in myself with this last relationship what people call "knight in shining armor" complex. I broke up with her, she had a low paying job, not many options, not many possessions and when she moved out started talking to me about how horrible everything was.

Now, I started to let her crash here and trying to help her out, letting her vent to me almost daily. I wanted to rescue her. I know this is a flawed behavior in myself but it is hard to break this cycle.

In fact, I believe that is why we got together in the first place as I was the guy she confided in as she went out with all types of guys (read: losers) and I wanted to save her.

So yes, I still talk to my ex, but if I want to move on, I don't think I should.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:16 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
Two of my exes are Facebook friends and I chat with them sometimes. They are good guys we just wanted different things in life. However I was actually on Facebook when my last ex unfriended me AND blocked me! What made it ironic was we found each other again after 10 years because of Facebook. Funny story now, but I had been seeking him for years, found a guy with his name on FB and emailed him. He emailed me back gave me his number and I called. We started going out, he got scared because he didn't want a relationship, he came back a few times and long story short about a year later I found his online profile. I questioned him and he then unfriended me and blocked me. I was devastated.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 PM

225 posts, read 344,834 times
I am civil to my ex-husband because we have three children together. If he were to "friend" me, I would list him among "Restricted" and "Acquaintences," to be sure he had no access to my page. I have a lot of things that are personal to my lifestyle that he does not have a right to know or be interested in, and knowing him like I do, I don't want to tempt fate.

However, for now, he just finds me if he wants to talk to me. Otherwise, we're only "Mutual" Friends through the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships