Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:10 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,785,258 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm going to switch jobs (not careers) in a few months, and my salary will increase 4x than what I'm making now.

Although I'm comfortably/preferably single now, at some point down the future I'll be ready to get into another relationship. This one, hopefully, will be for the long haul.

One of my female friends pointed out to me that I may have a problem finding a guy who'll be okay with my annual salary, more so if I earn more than him.

What do you think?

Do you make more than your mate? If so, does your mate have a problem with it? Does it every create problems (e.g. unnecessary tension)?

These questions are mostly for the ladies but I'd like the guys to chime in too.

Thanks for your responses .

Last edited by erjunkee; 02-19-2013 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,407,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdocjolly View Post
I'm going to switch jobs (not careers) in a few months, and my salary will increase 4x than what I'm making now.
How nice. Sounds like the end of residency, or something like that.

Two of my college friends married ... to each other. The guy worked in IT and made a good salary. The lady worked in high-end corporate sales, with some accounts that were cash cows and she made 3x what he made. She belittled him about his earnings as time went on and it escalated. They divorced. Being child free, it unraveled fairly drama-free. My parents, his parents, and everyone I know, gives her 120% of the blame.

I once went on a blind date in a restaurant laden part of town. It's been a while. The gal was in whatever the next med school one is at after the first med school (residency, internship, whatever). I don't even know why doctors date outside of the circle of health professionals. She was slightly overweight, had this Mother Earth outfit showing her chunky calves, and wasn't even that attractive. A man and his wife are walking across the street, and she says "Oh, there's my attending ..." If you think you are superior because of your occupation, then date within that pool. And if that pool is small, tough sheet. This chick could keep all the money she was going to make. She was the least attractive of any woman I've ever gone on a date with, and her personality was cold as I would expect of anyone who has to deal with sick people all the time and routinely see death.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 02-19-2013 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,770,468 times
Not a big deal at all either way IMO, as far as which spouse or partner makes more money Love is for love's sake, not for money's sake after all!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't even know why doctors date outside of other health professionals. She was slightly overweight, had this Mother Earth outfit showing her chunky calves, and wasn't even that attractive. A man and his wife are walking across the street, and she says "Oh, there's my attending ..." If you think you are superior because of your occupation, then date within that pool. And if that pool is small, tough sheet. This chick could keep all the money she was going to make. She was the least attractive of any woman I've ever gone on a date with, and her personality was cold, as I would expect of anyone that who to deal with sick people and routinely see death.
A lot of us are good-looking, and I'd never date another doctor. One giant ego is enough.
This post reeks of sour grapes.

Anyway, op, yeah...studies show most men don't have the cojones to deal with their women making more money than they do. In fact, a recent study showed that men who make less money than the woman still do much less housework as a way of asserting their male privilege (aka still feeling like they wear the pants in the family). While I am sure there are quite a few guys out there that will be mature and totally ok with making less than you do, I'd probably try to aim for those who are in the same ballpark. Stick to the more educated ones if you can.

I used to make waaaaay more than what my wife makes, but she has gotten raise after raise after bonus...she just told me about a raise and bonus tonight! I never looked at it as anything more than awesomeness and we've never had money issues or resentment. It's OUR accomplishments. Not just hers or mine.

It all depends on the people and how they decide to deal with it.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,785,258 times
Quote:
How nice. Sounds like the end of residency, or something like that.

Two of my college friends married ... to each other. The guy worked in IT and made a good salary. The lady worked in high-end corporate sales, with some accounts that were cash cows and she made 3x what he made. She belittled him about his earnings as time went on and it escalated. They divorced. Being child free, it unraveled fairly drama-free. My parents, his parents, and everyone I know, gives her 120% of the blame.

I once went on a blind date in a restaurant laden part of town. It's been a while. The gal was in whatever the next med school one is at after the first med school (residency, internship, whatever). I don't even know why doctors date outside of the circle of health professionals. She was slightly overweight, had this Mother Earth outfit showing her chunky calves, and wasn't even that attractive. A man and his wife are walking across the street, and she says "Oh, there's my attending ..." If you think you are superior because of your occupation, then date within that pool. And if that pool is small, tough sheet. This chick could keep all the money she was going to make. She was the least attractive of any woman I've ever gone on a date with, and her personality was cold as I would expect of anyone who to deal with sick people and routinely see death.
Yep, you're right...I'll finally be done with residency!!

That's very unforunate, in terms of how your date went. I for one have never dated another physician and really don't want to, to be honest. My ex was an electrical engineer and he and I got along very well.

For many reasons, money was never an issue between us.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A lot of us are good-looking, and I'd never date another doctor. One giant ego is enough.
This post reeks of sour grapes.
Didn't know that was your occupation.

Not at all. I didn't like her as soon as she appeared, had she been a doctor or a dietitian.

As for my observation, I saw that the pre-health track in college segregated themselves from other students they had known for a long time because, compared to them, we'd be "slumming it." I really didn't give a crap either way. However, I have friends who try to curry favor with the MD/DDS crowd from college, and these friends are the ones making the calls, and not the other way around. I wouldn't dignify that kind of snobbery.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
Quote:
Didn't know that was your occupation.

Not at all. I didn't like her as soon as she appeared, had she been a doctor or a dietitian.

As for my observation, I saw that the pre-health track in college segregated themselves from other students they had known for a long time because, compared to them, we'd be "slumming it." I really didn't give a crap either way. However, I have friends who try to curry favor with the MD/DDS crowd from college, and these friends are the ones making the calls, and not the other way around. I wouldn't dignify that kind of snobbery.
I don't have any idea what you're talking about.
Or who you think behaves like that.
Most physicians are not married to other physicians. Most physicians wouldn't want to be.

If your friends are making the calls, it's simply because they have more time.
Work 100 hour week and see how many social phone calls you make.
Meanwhile, spare me you anecdotes = data stories.
All most of us are looking for are intelligent, responsible, caring people to share our lives with.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't have any idea what you're talking about.
Or who you think behaves like that.

Most physicians are not married to other physicians. Most physicians wouldn't want to be.

If your friends are making the calls, it's simply because they have more time.
Work 100 hour week and see how many social phone calls you make.
Meanwhile, spare me you anecdotes = data stories.
All most of us are looking for are intelligent, responsible, caring people to share our lives with.
I like reading people's stories on here. That's the way I roll. I like being around animated people and there is nothing better than sitting in a restaurant or taking a road trip with the "Did you see THAT?" crowd.

I don't dispute your perceptions. Please don't dispute mine. Gracias for the rep. I like rep.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,063,231 times
I wish I could find a woman who makes more than me, because I'm tired of being broke!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I wish I could find a woman who makes more than me, because I'm tired of being broke!
More money than me is COOL ... as long as I could still wear the pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships