Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times

Advertisements

I was inspired to create this thread from a PM I received this evening from a very wise and smart poster.

I throw this out because I see this a lot.

Have you ever heard a group of women/guys asked their peers -"so what do you think "? Do you think s/he is cute/nice/fill in your own words.

You get the point.

When do you say it's time to get real and stop playing around and fooling myself?

Or do people get dumber as they get older?

It's as if folks are 1) Not honest with themselves 2) unrealistic 3) afraid to date someone they really want to date ( another race)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 10:46 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,341 times
i never ask my friends for opinions of someone i am seeing that they just met. few actually do the "what do you think of him?" thing.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:26 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,952 times
A'ight, hell, I'll throw in my two cents.

With guys, I know we do it for a lot of different reasons.

I have a good buddy of mine that asks that about every chick he dates.. and of course, we tell him the truth. But we know that he's not asking if she's cute, he's really asking our opinion of her, if there are any red flags we see that he doesn't. He's the type that would feel a little strange asking another dude, "Hey man, this Sonja chick, I dunno.. Do you think that she's the type that would be faithful to me? I mean, well, I've seen the way that she...." Nah, he just says, "Hey man, check out Sonja.. She's hot as .... don't ya think?" I don't think that's really all that different from asking advice in here, when it's all said and done.

Another reason, and I've done this one myself, is just to "show off" in front of your buddies. You know she's hot, they know she's hot, you just want to rub it in their faces sometimes.. just for kicks and giggles. Sure, it's childish, but it's better than some other stupid 'macho' things that guys try to pull off...

So you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
"It's as if folks are 1) Not honest with themselves 2) unrealistic 3) afraid to date someone they really want to date ( another race)"
I don't totally agree with that.. If someone's asking that seriously, then yeah, they might need to get a little help.. but for the most part, every time someone's asked me that it's been more playful rather than serious.

And yes, some people do get dumber as they get older.. just look at our former president. (wait, I didn't say that out loud... nevermind.)

Old 08-01-2009, 11:29 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
I can't remember ever asking that.

I know I've had the "pleasure" of friend's and family's unsolicited opinions though.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:30 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
LOL.......haven't we all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I can't remember ever asking that.

I know I've had the "pleasure" of friend's and family's unsolicited opinions though.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
LOL.......haven't we all.
Yeah and seeing as how they usually get in first maybe a lot of folks just haven't had the chance to ask what other people think of their new "interest".

Chickens....eggs........

Old 08-02-2009, 12:03 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Ron man, does the enter key work weird on your keyboard?

It's showing in all threads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships