Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
We've been dating for about 6 months now. We live separate, but things are getting serious pretty quickly.
I'm glad you found someone and are happy! I would advise you to keep things separate for the next 6 months to a year until you both have found out all the little quirks, like your frugality.

Money can be a huge issue in relationships, and you need to see eye-to-eye. Your increase in income can still include a really nice trip, and occasional fancy dinners, but after you have taken care of all the responsible items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:19 PM

350 posts, read 383,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Congratulations on being so smart about money. You are only 21, so this may not be THE girl for you, but this is a great opportunity to find out more about her, and to hone your communication skills. I would strongly encourage you to stick by your guns.

How long have the two of you been dating? Do you live together? How are expenses paid now (rent, food, utilities?).

Save all you can, whether it is to buy a house or a 401(k) (lots will argue the merits of where the saved money goes), or paying off school loans, you are very smart and this will pay off in the long run.

Fancy cars, designer clothes, and stretching out your budget to barely make ends meet is a complete waste, ESPECIALLY if it is for someone else and it's not a lifestyle you want.

You need to sit her down and explain your budget and reasoning to her.
The Millionaire Mind has an interesting take on spending money. The 8 figure rich don't worry so much about enjoying life, they just don't waste money and do things in moderation.

-They won't buy an overpriced house in a sexy subdivision, they still will buy a nice house in an established area that is likely to gain value.

-They don't buy cheap furniture, because it's a waste of money since it ultimately gets thrown out. Expensive, well-made furniture is purchased but it's not money being thrown away since they become heirloom pieces and also increase in value.

-They don't deny themselves nice vehicles, they just tend to buy things like the $40,000 Lexus instead of the $80,000 BMW.

-One example the author used was of a very high-end penny loafer one rich guy bought, and paid a ton of money for, but keeps getting them resoled. In other words, over the long run this shoe has cost him less and he is wearing a better show. (Sounds gross to me, though.)

I call this environmentalism at its highest level. You don't be cheap, you don't deny yourself, you just limit waste to a minimal amount. The furniture example above is a great example ... because you haven't thrown away $3,000 on Chinese particle board stuff that eventually gets thrown out. Instead you pay $6,000 for all wood furniture with classic style that becomes an heirloom piece.

In the first example, that is money spent/wasted. In the second example it is money invested, or at least not spent just parked in something that is really an asset.

Insightful book for any young person.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 PM

I gotta agree on the Lexus, mine was nearing 200K miles and going strong..... the only reason I sold it was it was an 8 cylinder, I drove a lot of miles for work and the gas was killing me...

Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Well, a big part of the reason of why she likes me so much is because I treat her like "a lady", despite actually being poorer (for now).

My income will be more than hers, but that's because I want to work a bit longer to save for the future.

...But her attitude is that if I am going to work hard now I should play hard too...
My SO treats me like a lady and it rarely involves money.

What I'm seeing is so many comments from you pertaining to her opinion of your money. You're not even earning it yet and she has it spent on things she wants. Please don't overlook this because she's nice and pretty.

Edited to add: I just saw that you've only been dating for 6 months. Way too soon to move in together, IMO, and you're barely at the stage of the newness and excitement of the relationship wearing off and getting to know each other. Please protect yourself and your finances.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I gotta agree on the Lexus, mine was nearing 200K miles and going strong..... the only reason I sold it was it was an 8 cylinder, I drove a lot of miles for work and the gas was killing me...
Acura with 192k miles. Six cylinder and going to run it into the ground! Don't have the 8 figure net worth though!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:33 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
My SO treats me like a lady and it rarely involves money.

What I'm seeing is so many comments from you pertaining to her opinion of your money. You're not even earning it yet and she has it spent on things she wants. Please don't overlook this because she's nice and pretty.
I'll be honest, she's pretty darn hot.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon of Truth View Post
Acura with 192k miles. Six cylinder and going to run it into the ground! Don't have the 8 figure net worth though!
I find that doable if we get to count the numbers to the right of the decimal.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:37 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
If you move in with her now you will be making the biggest mistake of your young life.

Wait 2 more years. There is no rush and you NEED to be sure.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:38 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Quote:
I'll be honest, she's pretty darn hot.
Here we have a good exhibit of how two body parts normally at opposite ends of the body switch places when a hot female enters the environment of the young male.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I find that doable if we get to count the numbers to the right of the decimal.
Someone I know was complaining about their Audi A6 with an $1,800 oil leak the other day. She was resigning herself that she was going to have to swallow her pride and buy a ...... Toyota ....... lol. The horrors! The nice thing about *** and American cars is that the repairs are generally cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships