Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:36 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times

Advertisements

The Catholic Church doesn't allow people to marry who sign prenups with the thinking that one is thinking of divorce. I was surprised about this myself. To be honest it really is sad going into a marriage thinking you will divorce.

I would have no problem signing a prenup in most cases. After all what he owned before the marriage should be his and mine should be mine. However things don't always work out like that and prenups are often taken to court and dissolved anyway. I've known people with prenups who got screwed anyway. I've known people with and without prenups who lost houses, cars, businesses etc that they bought before the marriage.

I think the better thing is to be more careful with who you marry so divorce won't likely happen. I know, not easy to do, which is why we have prenups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 PM

350 posts, read 383,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
The Catholic Church doesn't allow people to marry who sign prenups with the thinking that one is thinking of divorce. I was surprised about this myself. To be honest it really is sad going into a marriage thinking you will divorce.

I would have no problem signing a prenup in most cases. After all what he owned before the marriage should be his and mine should be mine. However things don't always work out like that and prenups are often taken to court and dissolved anyway. I've known people with prenups who got screwed anyway. I've known people with and without prenups who lost houses, cars, businesses etc that they bought before the marriage.

I think the better thing is to be more careful with who you marry so divorce won't likely happen. I know, not easy to do, which is why we have prenups.
Did not know that, but that sounds like one of those things that isn't consistently enforced.

I could go either way on this issue at a young age, but in midlife I think it is a necessity.

My only issue when springing this on someone is going to be that this is one of the rare things I lie about. I tend to downplay how much I make and what I have and it's going to be believeable to people who see me tooling around in my 2002 Acura. I have let things slip before and have gotten a lot of grief because I wasn't open and honest about it.

The older I get, the more I'm buying into what most professional types these days are believing, which is that marriage if you're not going to have kids is more trouble than it's worth. I'm not completely there yet, but when you start thinking about all these kinds of things it is a little daunting.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:47 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,617,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Why?
I don't know, I just would find it weird to have my wife making more then me. I have never had that experience before, maybe if I did I might feel differently. LOL

Old 02-26-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon of Truth View Post
Did not know that, but that sounds like one of those things that isn't consistently enforced.

I could go either way on this issue at a young age, but in midlife I think it is a necessity.

My only issue when springing this on someone is going to be that this is one of the rare things I lie about. I tend to downplay how much I make and what I have and it's going to be believeable to people who see me tooling around in my 2002 Acura. I have let things slip before and have gotten a lot of grief because I wasn't open and honest about it.

The older I get, the more I'm buying into what most professional types these days are believing, which is that marriage if you're not going to have kids is more trouble than it's worth. I'm not completely there yet, but when you start thinking about all these kinds of things it is a little daunting.
I was surprised too but it could be one of those things that varies by parish like dress codes for weddings (some churches require the shoulders to be covered during the ceremony). I want to marry, but don't want to marry someone who has the baggage where I could lose what I built up not only to him but a third (or fourth party). For example I plan to buy a house in the next year or so and I own a car and the idea of losing these to a husband horrifies me, but losing it to a husband and his kids or exwife is even a worse thought. Someone I know in fact did lose his house to his ex wife and she lives there with her kids.

I think marriage is wonderful with the right person but I also believe in being careful. Because I did get screwed over financially years ago I am more careful with men I date. It's also why I like to get to know someone platonically for awhile before dating.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
First of all, if something were to happen to my wife, I likely wouldn't remarry. If I did, I'd sign mutual prenups, just to protect any inheritance for my kids.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:13 PM

350 posts, read 383,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
First of all, if something were to happen to my wife, I likely wouldn't remarry. If I did, I'd sign mutual prenups, just to protect any inheritance for my kids.
Don't know what the laws are like in Sarah Palin land, but putting your assets in a trust is also a good idea for that very reason you mention.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:20 PM

677 posts, read 1,194,105 times
It should be mandatory of course.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 PM

Very true. I also know situations where a couple married and the person with more assets had kids but found their assets went to the spouse and not the kids. I'd be afraid of that too. Happened to my uncle where he had a lot of money and kids and his new wife was a gold digger (or so the story goes). He died and instead of his kids getting the house and the money his wife got most of it.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
My thoughts are this, it's a marriage, not a business transaction. Doesn't that take the whole issue of love and trust out? If you want the fiance to sign an agreement stating they won't try to get your gabillions of dollars when you split, why are you marrying them in the first place?

Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM

677 posts, read 1,194,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Doesn't that take the whole issue of love and trust out?
It doesn't for intelligent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships