Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM

350 posts, read 384,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I don't mind the wanderlust that seems so prevalent in online dating profiles. I often wonder how the hell they can afford to go on so many vacations though.
What do you like to do? Drink? Go out to dinner all the time? Pay $150 to see a pro football game? $100 for NASCAR Tickets? $200 a month cable bill? $150 for concert tickets? Buy new cars every few years? Lease a vehicle? Live in too much house you can't afford? Student loans? I do none of those things and have none of those obligations. That's how I can afford it!

If you just take what most people spend eating out all the time, that's typically enough to cover the cost of a vacation, even a relatively exotic one. If you are slightly off-season, the weather's still nice and everything is still cheap. If you go to Europe during the summer months, then yeah it's expensive.

Last edited by Beacon of Truth; 02-27-2013 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,720,635 times
I want to travel to, nothing wrong with wanting to explore the world. I actually find it a turn off is she has done a lot of traveling already, kind of ruins the whole "first time" aspect.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,092,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortDoctor View Post
Every women's profile makes a big deal about how she needs to be travelling "off the beaten path" to somewhere exotic like SE Asia or the Himalayas, before stopping off at Mount Everest. I only see this quirky attitude on online dating sites and have yet to meet a woman in real life who was CRAZY about travel (many enjoy it, usually during holidays or vacation, but the consensus on these dating sites is that you better love to travel and can afford to or get out of my way!).

Is the ability to travel the new social currency?

Yes I see those all the time, it's that scripted nonsense to make someone sound interesting. One girl recently said.........."who is going to be the 1st guy to go to Mexico with me"

Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 PM

37,680 posts, read 46,114,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon of Truth View Post
Puerto Rico? How is that pretentious? It's part of the US, even though most people always seem to forget this..
I wouldn't call it pretentious, specifically, but you do have to FLY quite a ways to get there. Maybe you forgot that. Plenty of people go to Puerto Rico...not a big deal. It's a huge cruise port...but it's certainly more $$ than local flights.

Quote:
I'm not a "camping" kind of guy and beaches bore me anymore.
Quote:
The US is pretty much all the same ... beaches, Target and McDonalds all over the place. Some interesting terrain, but by and large the same.
This only shows how little travel you have done in the U.S.

Quote:
Point being .... travel is fun, especially with a travel buddy that has the right take on things. And if this is your thing, you are naturally animated when you talk about it. Like I just did. Some people like NASCAR, others like sports, I like travel.
Your post does come off as pretentious, whether you intended it to, or not. I think you know that.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,001,206 times
Quote:
What do you like to do? Drink? Go out to dinner all the time? Pay $150 to see a pro football game? $100 for NASCAR Tickets? $200 a month cable bill? $150 for concert tickets? Buy new cars every few years? Lease a vehicle? Live in too much house you can't afford? Student loans? I do none of those things and have none of those obligations. That's how I can afford it!

If you just take what most people spend eating out all the time, that's typically enough to cover the cost of a vacation, even a relatively exotic one. If you are slightly off-season, the weather's still nice and everything is still cheap. If you go to Europe during the summer months, then yeah it's expensive.
While I usually am pleased to hear people enthusiastic about their lives and explorations, you really did come off as judgemental and a little too...pretentious in your posts here. Keep in mind that not everyone wants to travel and that some people really do enjoy doing those things you came off as judging in this post. Just because you do something, doesn't mean everyone should or even wants to.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:

I would agree with this. I don't spend money on a lot of things that other people do (no cable, prepaid cell phone service, keep cars till they die, rarely eat out, etc). It does allow for splurging in other areas. Most of my travel with my son has been in the summer, since my son has always been in school the rest of the year, yes, that IS expensive!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

Your post does come off as pretentious, whether you intended it to, or not. I think you know that.
Not really. It's just something I've done and enjoyed doing. Pretentious is when you try to impress people. Why would anybody be impressed that you went to Puerto Rico? Now if I were bragging about Monaco or the French Riviera, that might be another story.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I would agree with this. I don't spend money on a lot of things that other people do (no cable, prepaid cell phone service, keep cars till they die, rarely eat out, etc). It does allow for splurging in other areas. Most of my travel with my son has been in the summer, since my son has always been in school the rest of the year, yes, that IS expensive!
When I went to Greece and Macedonia, I was actually meeting my brother who was there for his sister-in-law's wedding (she's Greek). It was the last part of May/first part of June. AFAIC, that's the perfect time to be over there. The weather was perfect, still considered off-season and everything was cheap. After school lets out is when Europe becomes an amusement park and the cost goes WAY up.

Countries that are not on the Euro are a DEAL vacation wise. $25 a night for a room is like Fred Flintstone money. You just have to be a little adventurous.

Last edited by Beacon of Truth; 02-27-2013 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
While I usually am pleased to hear people enthusiastic about their lives and explorations, you really did come off as judgemental and a little too...pretentious in your posts here. Keep in mind that not everyone wants to travel and that some people really do enjoy doing those things you came off as judging in this post. Just because you do something, doesn't mean everyone should or even wants to.
That is some convoluted reasoning.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
When I went to Greece and Macedonia, I was actually meeting my brother who was there for his sister-in-law's wedding (she's Greek). It was the last part of May/first part of June. AFAIC, that's the perfect time to be over there. The weather was perfect, still considered off-season and everything was cheap. After school lets out is when Europe becomes an amusement park and the cost goes WAY up.

Countries that are not on the Euro are a DEAL vacation wise. $25 a night for a room is like Fred Flintstone money. You just have to be a little adventurous.
We have the chance to go to Jerusalem this spring - no hotel costs, just the flights. Would be staying with friends that are stationed there. I wish it was a less volatile time over there...I'm just not quite adventurous enough to go there anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships