Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,306,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Or, by the same token, I suppose if she loved him enough, she'd make the exceptions, right? If she wants to spend the rest of her life with him...
No. This is about her health and the health of the child. These aren't selfish reasons for not wanting to have children naturally. His reasoning for refusing to adopt has not been explained, however her concerns are valid reasons for not wanting to pass on her health issues or possibly inherit further complications while pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 02:15 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,700,133 times
Do her a favor and break up from her. She deserves better all because you want a copy of yourself and she is actually concerned for her health.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:19 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,553,626 times
For me, health concerns would override having a baby naturally. I'd be fine with adopting. Besides, there are alternatives if you really want kids with your DNA. You can go with in vitro fertilization and a surrogate.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,986,645 times
if you really really love her, give her some time. i know my feelings on the matter changed in my later twenties

that said, it's risky to wait around

good luck

Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,111,311 times
There are a lot of fish in the sea, I would look for another. Changing an SO's mind is not likely to happen, changing your own mind is much easier.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
No. This is about her health and the health of the child. These aren't selfish reasons for not wanting to have children naturally. His reasoning for refusing to adopt has not been explained, however her concerns are valid reasons for not wanting to pass on her health issues or possibly inherit further complications while pregnant.
I was being facetious.

However, I don't think that "You would compromise on your stance on kids if you really loved the person" is valid for either of them. It's just not an area where compromise is possible. It's not fair or reasonable to expect somebody who wants kids to let go of that dream, and frame it in an "if you really loved the person..." way.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Besides, there are alternatives if you really want kids with your DNA. You can go with in vitro fertilization and a surrogate.
I hope people do realize that the expense of these procedures, as well as limited insurance coverage for them, makes them not particularly viable for a lot of people. The IVF/surrogate combination really doesn't fall into the range of economic feasibility for the average household. It's one thing to say, "Well, there's always this option," But really, it's not necessarily a super realistic option.

Probably just easier for someone who wants biological kids to be with someone who is on board with having biological kids.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,461,630 times
yes. what is the point of being a couple if you have zero in common about where you are headed?

sex? you can get that just about anywhere...
chemistry and common bonds? that is called friends...

if you have no goals set for where you are both going passed sleeping together, playing house and being around one another whats the point? you're just wasting each others time

Old 03-10-2013, 04:27 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,495,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin1986 View Post
For example I know I want to get married and have kids. If my SO says she doesn't want to get married or have kids of her own (she actually wants to adopt) is it understandable that I end the relationship or is there a chance she might change her mind?

I am 26 she is 24.

The reason she would rather adopt than have kids of her own is I think because she has so many health issues that she thinks she might pass them on and even says in a joking way that she doesnt know how she's managed so far.

Some of her health problems include migraines, depression, kidney pain, asthma like attacks (not frequent), ulcers, and I think her fear is dying and leaving her kids w/o a mom.
I think you can only have how important it is to you to have biological children. If it is a dealbreaker to have no children or adopt, then you should cut your losses and get out now. I have 3 bio sons and a daughter that was adopted at birth. Adoption can be a wonderful thing, but it is a personal choice. Do NOT go into a marriage with the idea or hope that she will change her mind. Make sure you are both really clear on what you want and expect in that marriage. You do not ever want to go into a marriage thinking you can change someone, because usually you can't.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:07 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
This is not so much of an "ultimatum", as it is taking a critical look at your goals and her goals and seeing a disconnect. If more people did this, there would be less divorce.

I suggest staying friends, but realizing that there is no middle ground here. She wants one thing, you want anther. Spending all your time with her, and not having time to get a new relationship is not going to help you moce forward with your life.

At some point, in all relationships, people decide if they are a team or not. If you keep with her, you will notice less satisfaction, and more misery. You wont be happy.

This is the point. End it now. Or keep going, and be alternatively miserable. Be true to yourself. That s the most important thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships