Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I forgot to mention this but about a year ago I was on POF and talking to what seemed like a decent man. We had a lot in common and made plans to meet until we exchanged first names. Turns out a woman he hates AND and ex-girlfriend he hates (who screwed him over)have my same first name and he told me that was a deal breaker.
Wow, are you serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 01:44 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Wow, are you serious?
I know, it was bizarre and I tried convincing him but he hated these two women so bad that he refused to meet me. Strange but I figure his loss.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
I have a 'normal' first name that's spelled weird. I have had men tell me they couldn't date me based on that, but I figured it was probably just an excuse for some other reason they didn't want to date me.

Honestly, I think my spelling is prettier and simply looks better than the traditional spelling so I like it better. Their loss

As for me, I haven't had luck with people named Mike or Michael. I do find myself inexplicably attracted to the name Andrew.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,686,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
As for me, I haven't had luck with people named Mike or Michael.
Same here JJ. My ex was a Michael. The next guy I met was a Michael. I just couldn't get past that. Then the THIRD guy I met was also Michael (went by Mike), but still . . . I just couldn't do it. I know it's one of the most common names for men, but I took a pass.

Thanks goodness the fourth one is NOT a Michael (though he does have the same middle name as my brother's first name -- which is a little weird, but I can live with it).

Old 03-07-2013, 02:09 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention this but about a year ago I was on POF and talking to what seemed like a decent man. We had a lot in common and made plans to meet until we exchanged first names. Turns out a woman he hates AND and ex-girlfriend he hates (who screwed him over)have my same first name and he told me that was a deal breaker.
I think sometimes people easily attach memories, whether good or bad, to names, places, people, etc.

If I had not met my SO and spent most of the day with him his name very well may have been a deal breaker. The fact that he uses a different name and of course that he is such a great person certainly changes things.

It is just the minds way. When I see doilies I think of my Grandma because she used to make them all the time.

Certain smells remind me of people or memories.

I do think I made the right decision. I got to see who he was, no matter his name, and I have to laugh a little. Those days I was talking to three men on Match and I had a pro/con list going for each of them. I told my SO his name was going on my con list. In reality, after spending that first day with him, the pro/con list went out the window, I stopped talking to the other two men, and it was just him.

I suppose some times, people just miss out on a good thing and they may never know what it is that they are missing......That is what would have happened to me. It did help that we were talking for several weeks before hand...

Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Same here JJ. My ex was a Michael. The next guy I met was a Michael. I just couldn't get past that. Then the THIRD guy I met was also Michael (went by Mike), but still . . . I just couldn't do it. I know it's one of the most common names for men, but I took a pass.

Thanks goodness the fourth one is NOT a Michael (though he does have the same middle name as my brother's first name -- which is a little weird, but I can live with it).
My ex-uncle used to beat my aunt and cousins horribly and he was a Mike.

My really good friends ex-bf was a Mike and he stalked her, killed her cat, stole a bunch of her stuff and threatened her family. She went through nearly 2 years of dealing with cops, court and judges to get restraining orders and to get him convicted. It's a small town so she was thinking about moving out of state once her disability claim gets figured out.

I just hear Mike and get agitated.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I know, it was bizarre and I tried convincing him but he hated these two women so bad that he refused to meet me. Strange but I figure his loss.
It probably was. Probably better you didn't meet him if he harbored all those bad feelings towards your name....

Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My ex-uncle used to beat my aunt and cousins horribly and he was a Mike.

My really good friends ex-bf was a Mike and he stalked her, killed her cat, stole a bunch of her stuff and threatened her family. She went through nearly 2 years of dealing with cops, court and judges to get restraining orders and to get him convicted. It's a small town so she was thinking about moving out of state once her disability claim gets figured out.

I just hear Mike and get agitated.
OMG!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
Yeah, if he was that weird about my name before we met (and it's a pretty common name, especially for women my age)I can imagine he may have other issues. Even though I had two awful boyfriends named Dave I could have met a great guy named Dave I wanted to date. I have met great guys named Dave but none were relationships related at all.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:41 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,001,454 times
Quote:
Is it really? Every time he called you by name, or wrote it on a piece of paper, he would be reminded of the other two. That could have a very serious effect on any relationship with you. I can see his point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships