Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:42 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
From now on, I will be very careful NOT to give out my full name.
So, why when I suggested that did I get a 'whatever' as a response?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 01:50 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
So, why when I suggested that did I get a 'whatever' as a response?
Yes.That is what you will get, whatever.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
yes.that is what you will get, whatever.
lol

Old 03-16-2013, 02:01 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times
Quote:
Stalkers use background check service to find out people's address.

From now on, I will be very careful NOT to give out my full name. I have absolutely no desires running people's background before meeting them in person. What a way to live!

I agree. Don't give out your full name. I never do. There's waaayyyy too many morons and people without brains in this world. Trust me, I'm fully aware of it

Old 03-16-2013, 02:05 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I agree. Don't give out your full name. I never do. There's waaayyyy too many morons and people without brains in this world. Trust me, I'm fully aware of it

Yeah me too. ((((( )))))))

Old 03-16-2013, 02:12 PM

210 posts, read 394,732 times
A: if you are online dating and feel paranoid you will be stalked just give them your middle name or a nickname they can call you until you go on your first date. Everything does show up on the internet even your home address can easily be found.

B: Well you are obviously not trusting him or wether he will look you up or not so until you can totally trust each other just start with a simple meeting. No one trusts anyone before meeting offline for the first time. You are still kind of like strangers still but at least you know somethings about one another. He will have his paranoias as will you.
Quote:
... before they even met you. Would you be offended?

I personally have nothing to hide. But there are certain things I definitely feel uncomfortable sharing with others, at least not before first date. I did a quick google search on myself using my full name. My youtube channel showed up, the online memorial service website I created for my loved one who died by suicide showed up. My art gallery showed up.

The most disturbing thing is that if I pay $19.99,. My whole history will show up on the internet. Where I went to school, where I opened a bank account. Obviously, what I consider to be public record and what others believe to be public records are quite different. I want my privacy to be protected at least to certain degree!!!!

My questions are

A. If my potential date did a background check on me before meeting me in person, does it mean he was overly suspicious or he was just being careful.

B. If he doesn't trust me for whatever the reasons, why bother meeting me in person. Does privacy mean anything anymore or everybody just has to accept the fact that we are open books to everybody on the internet nowadays.

share insights and thoughts please

Old 03-16-2013, 03:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
I have spoken to dates/potential dates in the past regarding backround checks and I have mentioned that I hold a current SIDA badge for an international airport, which for me meant having a 10 year FBI backround check, fingerprint, criminal check and 2 phone interviews. I also have driving privileges so on top of that I had a full DMV check. Passed with flying colors (pun intended?). I do give out my nickname (just a shortened version of my real name), and since my name is spelled weird (both first and last) without the proper spelling you can't find anything on me...I've googled to check

It seems to me that the ones you would think of running a backround check on are usually the ones who are more than happy to tell you about all their trouble with the law or otherwise. They seem almost proud of it. Weird.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have spoken to dates/potential dates in the past regarding backround checks and I have mentioned that I hold a current SIDA badge for an international airport, which for me meant having a 10 year FBI backround check, fingerprint, criminal check and 2 phone interviews. I also have driving privileges so on top of that I had a full DMV check. Passed with flying colors (pun intended?). I do give out my nickname (just a shortened version of my real name), and since my name is spelled weird (both first and last) without the proper spelling you can't find anything on me...I've googled to check

It seems to me that the ones you would think of running a backround check on are usually the ones who are more than happy to tell you about all their trouble with the law or otherwise. They seem almost proud of it. Weird.
I've done work at various government facilities for about 20 yrs.

I've had my background researched more than I care to remember, I don't recall how many envelopes I've received at the house with search results letting me know I've been "researched"

Old 03-16-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've looked at people's public records.

I'm squeaky clean.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've done work at various government facilities for about 20 yrs.

I've had my background researched more than I care to remember, I don't recall how many envelopes I've received at the house with search results letting me know I've been "researched"
Yep. When the place I used to work started writing up contracts for the local Air Force base (I had to get a badge to go on base to drop off fuel samples and paperwork) my family started getting a bunch of calls from the government/Air Force and started freaking out a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships