Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:29 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times

Advertisements

I remember the days when no one did background checks on people they wanted to be romantic with. Such a thing was unheard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Finances? He wouldn't have a right to that, and if he abused his position at his job to try to dig into it, I'd have an issue with that and I'd alert his employer about what he's doing. Same goes for health history, if, say, he worked in one of the local health systems where I might have been a patient.
I can't help but think it's just a matter of time before all that stuff is available to the public too. I mean, why even have privacy?

I saw Barack Obama's tax return online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 03:37 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
If I was single, that person wouldn't have my real name until I met them and decided they weren't off their rocker. Even then, I wouldn't give out my true identity until I felt as though I could trust them.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
If I was single, that person wouldn't have my real name until I met them and decided they weren't off their rocker. Even then, I wouldn't give out my true identity until I felt as though I could trust them.
I feel that way too but you not trusting them is what makes them all pissed off and suspicious and wanting to do a background check on you. It's a vicious cycle that's caused by not being face-to-face in the first place.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:51 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter1967 View Post
I would hope my daughters would do that before going out with any guy. You just never know about people these days.

I find it hilarious that people say "they can just ask me I won't lie". Well obviously if no one lied there would be no reason for background checks to exist in the first place.
I feel the same way. I would still make them share what they found out b/c mistakes can be made and I have a fairly common first and last name. I swear I am squeaky clean but some of my namesakes may not be.

It's available on the internet for the low low price of $19.99 or something like that, it's not like they are snooping through my drawers.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:59 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I feel that way too but you not trusting them is what makes them all pissed off and suspicious and wanting to do a background check on you. It's a vicious cycle that's caused by not being face-to-face in the first place.
Trust in earned in my opinion. I don't trust freely, especially not someone that was a perfect stranger just a few conversations ago. I can't see why someone would have a major issue with that.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Bolded statement just prove my point. A background check does not really give out information about people's characters. She ignored the red flags and still pursued the relationship.

I've told a person online, "If you want to know anything about me, anything at all, just ask me." I think my words will be good enough. If he does not trust me, and thinks he needs a background check to be reassured, then maybe he is NOT the one for ME.
In her case, it was someone she knew of from high school. She thought she could "save" him and prove everybody wrong.

While I think most would freely give information about themselves, I highly doubt an ex-con sociopath would do so. I guess red flags would pop up all over the place and most reasonable people would end it. So, in thinking about it, you don't need to do a background check, just pay attention to the red flags.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Trust in earned in my opinion. I don't trust freely, especially not someone that was a perfect stranger just a few conversations ago. I can't see why someone would have a major issue with that.
Because some people have high expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
While I think most would freely give information about themselves, I highly doubt an ex-con sociopath would do so. I guess red flags would pop up all over the place and most reasonable people would end it. So, in thinking about it, you don't need to do a background check, just pay attention to the red flags.
I agree.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:50 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
How would I ever know?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:10 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,679,521 times
If he secretly did it, how would I know? Don't ask don't tell, I have no problem.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter1967 View Post
Obviously it seems more creepy if you are a woman, and a guy is doing a background check on you. As a guy I would not be the least bit offended at a women doing a background check on me. As a matter of fact I would hope my daughters would do that before going out with any guy. You just never know about people these days.

I find it hilarious that people say "they can just ask me I won't lie". Well obviously if no one lied there would be no reason for background checks to exist in the first place.
We would just have to agree to disagree. I don't mean to hijack this thread and make it into something else. But do you really think strict gun law can prevent criminals from obtaining them in the first place?

Ex con will NEVER tell a potential date his or her full name. They know how to hide their true identities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships