Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 02:45 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,686 times

Advertisements

Does he really mean a platonic friendship or fwb or friends with possibility of dating?

I met a guy at a party who said I looked like I would be a good friend, but he looked kind of creepy and wanted to dance with me and get my number. He was my friends uncle so it was too weird for me.

And another guy I met from a friend added me on fb and asked if I was dating anyone. His fb said he was in a relationship so I thought it was weird. He then told me it was because he had stalkers. I'm like yeah, right. When I told him I wasn't interested, he said he still wanted to be friends. Of course, I got suspicious.

And this last guy I dated said we'd be friends, but he started putting the moves on me even after we broke up and I was really trying to be a friend, but saw what he meant when he said "friend".

So now I'm kind of weary when a guy says he wants to be friends. I guess if a guy really wanted to be friends, we would just be friends without that whole "conversation" huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 03:15 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
friends is a word, like many others, that mean different things to different people,,,some call acquaintances friends

sometimes you want to leave, on a good note and call each other friends....
consider the source, and context...

"friend" is a very vague and generalized term-thats why you hear "best" friends, bff, true friends,,,,and fwb ,,,to narrow it down a bit

Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,443,479 times
"Weary" means tired, like, "working hard makes me weary."

"Wary" means cautious, like, "be wary of strange dogs that growl."

As far as your friends issue goes, maybe you should ask the guy if friends means "friends" or possibly more.

But you won't do that because you're afraid they won't "like" you anymore.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:43 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,468,063 times
When I say "friend" I really mean friend, not FWB. If she wants FWB, I may be open to that, but I will not try to move things in that direction. That's what I do, but that's probably not what most mean.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Does he really mean a platonic friendship or fwb or friends with possibility of dating?

I met a guy at a party who said I looked like I would be a good friend, but he looked kind of creepy and wanted to dance with me and get my number. He was my friends uncle so it was too weird for me.

And another guy I met from a friend added me on fb and asked if I was dating anyone. His fb said he was in a relationship so I thought it was weird. He then told me it was because he had stalkers. I'm like yeah, right. When I told him I wasn't interested, he said he still wanted to be friends. Of course, I got suspicious.

And this last guy I dated said we'd be friends, but he started putting the moves on me even after we broke up and I was really trying to be a friend, but saw what he meant when he said "friend".

So now I'm kind of weary when a guy says he wants to be friends. I guess if a guy really wanted to be friends, we would just be friends without that whole "conversation" huh?
Here's a rule of thumb that will rarely fail you in life. Men almost NEVER go out of their way to befriend women unless they have a romantic and/or sexual motive. Almost never. If a man puts serious effort into becoming your "friend," the odds are about 99% he is interested in more than friendship.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:54 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,645,510 times
Subscribed.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,645,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Here's a rule of thumb that will rarely fail you in life. Men almost NEVER go out of their way to befriend women unless they have a romantic and/or sexual motive. Almost never. If a man puts serious effort into becoming your "friend," the odds are about 99% he is interested in more than friendship.
Can you apply this to married men though?

Old 04-20-2013, 08:12 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post

The first guy wanted to date you but was too chicken to risk rejection, so he tried to sneak in the "friendship" back door (which NEVER works guys out there). The second guy was a cheater or will be a cheater and wants to feed his ego by getting attention from women even though he's in a relationship. The ex-bf meant "I still want to have sex with you, but without the obligations of a relationship".

Old 04-20-2013, 08:32 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post

Agreed. Married, single, dating. Doesn't matter. Gay men are your only safe bet.

How to tell: They give you the up down check out so pay attention.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:40 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,686 times
But when a woman tells a man she wants to be friends, that's what she really means right? How would guys see that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships