Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:14 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times

Advertisements

have a CELL PHONE????????????????

I told her I don't see myself getting a cell phone until next year and she was like it's no way she can date a guy and can't contact him during the day. We had just met last night online and she was pretty and now just rather we be friends-lol

HOw did people date in 1989 without a cell phone??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 12:28 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

I told her I don't see myself getting a cell phone until next year and she was like it's no way she can date a guy and can't contact him during the day. We had just met last night online and she was pretty and now just rather we be friends-lol

Things were different then.
Sometimes I wonder how parents survived their kids' teen years before the age of cell phones.
Other times, I think they had it easier: sometimes it's better not to know where your kid is and what he's doing every second, better not to have to freak out and have panic attacks every time you call and he doesn't immediately answer his phone.

I think the same is probably true for other relationships.

I've become so cell-dependent that if my husband goes to the store and is gone more than twenty minutes or so, I'll start texting and calling him.
If he doesn't immediately pick up, I automatically begin to assume the worst: that he's been in a car accident or something.
Of course, he always returns home safely.

I think maybe all relationships were more laid-back and less stressful before we all had access to technology which allows us (and therefore requires us) to be in contact every single minute, or to account for every single minute that we aren't in contact (how many times a week are we asked "Why weren't you answering your cell when I called??")

On the other hand, cell phones have undeniably saved lives, in isolated instances.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Things were different then.
Sometimes I wonder how parents survived their kids' teen years before the age of cell phones.
Other times, I think they had it easier: sometimes it's better not to know where your kid is and what he's doing every second, better not to have to freak out and have panic attacks every time you call and he doesn't immediately answer his phone.

I think the same is probably true for other relationships.

I've become so cell-dependent that if my husband goes to the store and is gone more than twenty minutes or so, I'll start texting and calling him.
If he doesn't immediately pick up, I automatically begin to assume the worst: that he's been in a car accident or something.
Of course, he always returns home safely.

I think maybe all relationships were more laid-back and less stressful before we all had access to technology which allows us (and therefore requires us) to be in contact every single minute, or to account for every single minute that we aren't in contact (how many times a week are we asked "Why weren't you answering your cell when I called??")

On the other hand, cell phones have undeniably saved lives, in isolated instances.

Well I'm defintely not a buying a cell until the spring of 2010 so I guess I will have to become a full-time fetishist until then

Old 06-06-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Well I'm defintely not a buying a cell until the spring of 2010 so I guess I will have to become a full-time fetishist until then

Why don't you just get a go-phone from Walmart, if it's that big a deal.

Walmart.com: Electronics: Cell Phones: Prepaid Cell Phones: Pay as You Go

Prepaid cell phone, GoPhone® - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

Old 06-06-2009, 12:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
They "survived" somehow! Some of us made it even up until 4 years ago and can do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Wow... somebody like you would drive me NUTS!

Old 06-06-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
They "survived" somehow! Some of us made it even up until 4 years ago and can do it again.

I'm allergic to constant connection-lol

Old 06-06-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post

Oh, it gets worse.
One night, my son was spending the night out, and turned off his ringer.
When he got home, he showed me his missed calls, where it said I had called him 76 times over a period of about 9 hours.
I didn't even realize I had done it!
I would've guessed I'd called him about a dozen times, maybe less.
I guess sometimes when I get worried about somebody and they're not answering, I just sit there compulsively hitting redial over and over, without really realizing I'm doing it (or at least not realizing how often I'm doing it).

That "76 missed calls" thing was a wake-up for me... I'm seriously trying to make an effort not to be so bothersome to my loved ones lately.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:43 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
The phone part of my phone, actually a pocket pc, is my least fav part of it. I leave my ringer off most of the days and often leave my phone in my car or room. I never liked talking on the phone much. the invention of texting was great for me. If I could have a text only phone it'd be perfect.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:08 PM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:

This girl is a controlling nut. Good that you found out right away.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:27 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,522 times
Quote:

Back then most people had actual communication skills. Now it is mostly superficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships